Talking with Non LD friends and family

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
buildit

Talking with Non LD friends and family

Postby buildit » 26 Sep 2014 01:50

So tonight I was discussing my discovery of the LD community. Of course she had no recollection of any previous conversations I'd had with her describing my dream control. So again I went on about how It started as a kid when I had bad dreams, she said she remembered that because I would sleep walk. But over all I still get that undertone of, "really? We didn't know you did drugs!" attitude I always get from Non LD people I have tried to describe what I do in my sleep. :cry:
Have any of you had experiences trying to define the LD experience to friends or family? I pray your results were more receptive than mine have been. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Re: Talking with Non LD friends and family

Postby nesgirl » 26 Sep 2014 02:29

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

buildit

Postby buildit » 26 Sep 2014 15:01

You have an interesting social group. I can't imagine what it would be like discussing my dreams with friends where I wouldn't flatly be laughed at for the rest of my days and accused of being a druggie. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 26 Sep 2014 17:59

Goodbye forever...

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 26 Sep 2014 20:13

Generally I get uninterested results when I discuss the possibilities dreaming has on real life. Even with close family its quite sad really. Just the other day I was speaking with my basketball professor at the college and began to discreetly talk about dreams with him. He told me, "dreams were not important to him because they did not directly deal with his real life". However, he did tell me as I continued to nag him about dreams that he can remember his dreams more so when he eats food later in the evening and then goes to bed. It was quite frustrating talking to him about it as the main point of the conversation was would you prefer being book-smart or common-sense smart? I was thinking if your so common sense smart then you'd know dreams are important.

buildit

Postby buildit » 26 Sep 2014 22:52

dreamstudent wrote:Generally I get uninterested results when I discuss the possibilities dreaming has on real life. Even with close family its quite sad really. Just the other day I was speaking with my basketball professor at the college and began to discreetly talk about dreams with him. He told me, "dreams were not important to him because they did not directly deal with his real life". However, he did tell me as I continued to nag him about dreams that he can remember his dreams more so when he eats food later in the evening and then goes to bed. It was quite frustrating talking to him about it as the main point of the conversation was would you prefer being book-smart or common-sense smart? I was thinking if your so common sense smart then you'd know dreams are important.

I think there is an unspoken stigma about discussing these sorts of ideas and concepts because there are some real nut cases out there who sink their teeth into abstract ideas in order to make their hypotheses work in reality. Even in discussing it on this forum I am somewhat guarded because I know how some of this sounds and I am trying very hard to be very open minded to the ideas and interpretation of others. :) Hate for everyone to find out what a mad man I really am. :lol:

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 26 Sep 2014 23:06

Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 00:04

nesgirl wrote:Actually Lucid Dreams aren't the only thing that receives controversy. Multimedia Design can be a form of controversy to many. Because designers are known to kill their Multimedia Characters or to do other things in their projects that would considered taboo in reality, people highly criticize them for that. It is even worse for them with discrimination when it comes to religious leaders. Religious leaders will almost always criticize them for doing such evil things, and will imply they are monsters that will be sent to hades because of the things they put in their projects. Hello to the leaders? Multimedia is NOT the real world. It is a reality we create ourselves through special programs, and therefore it shouldn't affect the real world on what we are doing with our projects (most of our designs in fact remain closed off from the public). Also if you decide to make a project based on what you believe in politics, then that can cause taboo as well.

Sounds like you're venting a bit. I'd avoid the church vs Bill Gates discussion in favor of a discussion as to weather the church has benefitted from those who may well have designed the future of man kind in their own Lucid Dreams. ;)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Sep 2014 01:18

People sleep walk through life thinking they know everything, but fail to realize waking life is only one side of a coin. Dreams are the other aspect of our psyche and to truly understand and know thyself, it is common sense to embrace your dreams and understand them. D'UH!

And knowing thyself has HUGE ramifications on waking life!

I wish I could say that out loud to my family, but I have to bite my tongue and understand that they simply don't get it. I have patience though and we should just all lead by example. I don't have anyone else to turn to either so that's why I come here! :D

Nothing's too crazy for me, buildit. I read your post about 'know thyself', and I didn't reply because all I would say is, "Yes!" ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 01:52

HAGART wrote:Nothing's too crazy for me, buildit. I read your post about 'know thyself', and I didn't reply because all I would say is, "Yes!" ;)

8-) That's cool. Today was an awesome day helping my sister clean out an old wood pile from her property which gave me a chance to talk to her about LD. Her first response was, "oh yeah Mom said you were into some type of dream analysis." :roll: Gotta love family, but then it took seven years for them to get used to my motorcycling. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”