Melatonin-INCREASE DREAMS A LOT!

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
dreamstudent

Melatonin-INCREASE DREAMS A LOT!

Postby dreamstudent » 26 Sep 2014 19:47

Basically from my own and another friends experience in real life the only sleep supplement I have ever used is MELATONIN (around $5 USD for a bottle at a store). Its hardly even a sleep supplement if you call it that, its a chemical your brain already produces anyway so its a completely natural pill. Melatonin should generally be taken before sleep and 5mg (1 capsule). I've noticed my dreams will be anywhere between more vivid or just plain more in depth and more detailed. I have also had just as in depth or vivid crazy dreams without melatonin but definitely worth a try. (This won't induce lucid dreams or anything like that just a pill that may or may not have an effect on dreams in general its obviously going to differ from person to person and may not even do anything to you but it also may, I try to keep an open mind). :)

I just want to say I don't take any drugs to sleep nor do I intentionally use melatonin every night or even every week to increase my dream vividness, etc. but I'm just saying since I've had some effects from it, id recommend it and you can do with this information as you will!

Thanks appreciate this forums support and all people in it!

Jimjule

Re: Melatonin-INCREASE DREAMS A LOT!

Postby Jimjule » 06 Oct 2014 21:13

Thanks for posting this interesting idea, I've looked into it and it can help, although there are points you should be aware of. This link has several medical research citations:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/comments/17gffp/proper_use_of_melatonin_please_upvote/

I'm not saying that the use of melatonin for other reasons is bad, maybe even occasionally for dreams, but it does take time from other necessary states of sleep, and if you're going to do it, you should just be aware of the ups and downs.

Howtolucid

Postby Howtolucid » 12 Oct 2014 19:36

This is interesting. I've yet to delve really far into dream supplements, although I have tried Calea Z and that was pretty intense. (I smoked it with tobacco before bed)

I have also tried Vitamin B6 and that was REALLY good for dream recall.

I may now go and try Melatonin!
Visit HowToLucid DOT com for free Lucid Dreaming lessons!

Old Traveler

Postby Old Traveler » 30 Oct 2014 17:05

You are so right; IT DOES aid in lucid dreaming but only
in so far as it helps bring on sleep.Here is a dream I just
recently had. I wrote it down in the third person as an
experiment to avoid saying "I" all the time.

October 4th 2014
The man had watched television until 10:30 pm. Just before 9:pm he takes a 3mg melatonin tablet; by 10:30 he was feeling sleepy and went to bed. Sometime during sleep he finds himself at the outskirts of a small town. It is night time and the sky is ablaze with stars; the Milky Way is out out full and beautiful. The town is locked up for the night. Walking down the main street he looks up though the trees and gazes at the stars realizing they are brighter than anything he has ever seen; their hundreds of times brighter than normal. At some point he realizes his ex-wife, Roberta , his ex, lives in the town and he wants to find her and say hello. He arrives at the library where he knows she is working but it appears closed. He goes inside and finds a young man in a darkened office on the phone who gives him directions to her apartment but the man is suspicious and leaves to warn her of the Ex's arrival. The man also leaves the library and tries to race to Roberta's location and arrive their first. He gets lost. It is no longer a small town but a larger city and it is no longer night time; there are people and cars everywhere. He comes across two women and asks the name of the town. “It is called New Beginnings.” He asks what State the town is located in; “South of Texas.” There is a spiritual feeling about the dream; the colors in the sky take on psychedelic tones. He returns to his quest; finding Roberta. He locates the old part of town again. It is night time once more and the stores are closed down. None of the shops are locked. There is no need for police here; everything is open. He asks someone where the pay phones are. He is given some plastic square tokens he assumes is some kind of money for the pay phone. He tries calling the police to see if they have a location for Roberta but the phone is not working properly. Someone other than the police is talking; he cannot make out what they are saying. Walking down the main street again there are trees on both sides. Looking up through the trees he sees the same beautiful sight; brilliant stars and psychedelic colors. There is a sense of emotion and a religious feeling sweeps over him.

Old Traveler
Last edited by Old Traveler on 06 Nov 2014 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 31 Oct 2014 05:51

Very interesting dream, since you wrote in third person its hard to tell when you became lucid though. But yeah I found I've had extremely lucid dreams with and without melatonin, but as though the title may seem like it. I've actually had my more aware LDS not taking melstonin but regardless there is a noticable difference in melatonin use.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Old Traveler

Postby Old Traveler » 05 Nov 2014 15:50

I want to correct something I said in my last post: I'm not
so sure my dream was a result of the melatonin. I have had many
LD's where I did NOT take melatonin, but it is a wonderful sleep
aid. It's easy to get carried away and make links when there may be
none at all. Still, there are many people who swear taking melatonin
produced lucid dreams. Maybe there is some research out there on
the subject. By research I mean a double blind study; not a
compilation of word of mouth, though that can be valuable in helping
finding one's direction too.

Old Traveler :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Nov 2014 20:59

Research is fuzzy online but I get the impression that it helps with restful sleep and may do so from restricting REM in the first few hours. This would cause a rebound and create vivid dreams.
Getting lucid from this would still require skill
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

emberfire012

Postby emberfire012 » 08 Nov 2014 05:19

Peter wrote:Research is fuzzy online but I get the impression that it helps with restful sleep and may do so from restricting REM in the first few hours. This would cause a rebound and create vivid dreams.
Getting lucid from this would still require skill

I'm pretty sure Rebecca has an article somewhere on this website explaining what melatonin does, if you want to read it.
From personal experience, the only "skill" needed to become lucid using melatonin is the ability to recognize when you're dreaming, and that is a basic skill used by all lucid dreamers.
What melatonin does is make your dreams more crazy and vivid, so that you have a better chance of realizing something's off and then realizing you're dreaming. Oh, and I'm pretty sure your REM sleep doesn't start for a few hours after you fall asleep anyway.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Old Traveler

Postby Old Traveler » 10 Nov 2014 00:37

"From personal experience, the only "skill" needed to become lucid using melatonin is the ability to recognize when you're dreaming, and that is a basic skill used by all lucid dreamers."

Yup...remembering is the trick.
Years back when I was first learning about LD I had spent the
day "priming the pump." When walking to the store and to the
library or wherever, I would use black birds as a dream sing. Every time
I saw a BLACK BIRD I would ask myself if I were dreaming.

That very night I had the strangest dream, of a bunch of black birds
on a phone line. They would coming down and throw themselves at
my window. I was out side watching all this and thinking WHAT ARE THEY DOING?
Stupid birds.

The I awoke! How embarrassing! Jeesh! They were my dream sign!!!!!!!

I still have major problems remembering TO REMEMBER if I am dreaming.

Old Traveler

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Nov 2014 06:31

Oh, and I'm pretty sure your REM sleep doesn't start for a few hours after you fall asleep anyway.

I have used sleep state recorders and with successful WILD's seen it record me going from awake to REM instantly.
This is what occurs in a WILD where there is unbroken awareness from wake to lucid dreaming.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”