Sleep paralysis...and lucid dreaming

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.

Sleep paralysis...and lucid dreaming

Postby natty » 21 Nov 2011 21:30

Hey, im new to this board and just wanted to ask a question to all you lucid dreamers out there...

So, I often have lucid dreams naturally but they don't last long and i usually just have a fly around. Looking at all the advice and tips here it looks like i can lots of more interesting adventures, so im excited to try these out!

What i wanted to ask is that i get sleep parasysis episodes that are quite freaky, so i usually concentrate on getting out of them. But recently i have been going more with the flow with them and have seemingly managed to turn them into what is very much like a lucid dream. Would this be counted as a real lucid dream and is this commom???

Re: Sleep paralysis...and lucid dreaming

Postby Peter » 21 Nov 2011 21:37

sp is part of the process that your body goes through to get to sleep. If you a aware of this that is fine and yes they can be freaky but just let them run and soon you will enjoy sp as it can lead to a LD
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Postby DreamInception » 22 Nov 2011 06:38

Sleep paralysis is the one area that I need to study and work out more. It seems that with my previous experiences I just believed in riding them out. They are rare for me so I haven't explored them yet this is the area that I'd like to know a lot more about.
A hacker’s guide into lucid dreaming and dream premonitions 2.0

Postby Snaggle » 24 Jan 2012 13:13

Sleep paralysis is really just a form of lucid dream and any lucid dream can be turned into another which often happens in the SP experience. Rem atonia is not SP, rather SP seems to be a lucid false awakening inspired by atoina. What is happening in and around ones body often inspires dreams.

Here's an actual EEG recording of SP

The original research of Stephen LaBerge and others had fist clenches as well as eye movements as tests of lucid dreaming. Something that's impossible if one is really paralyzed during rem atonia.

Traditionally REM muscle atonia was and still is largely spoken of as just atonia or possibly paralysis, sleep researchers starting with Keithe Hearne started calling it sleep paralysis and were using it as a catch all to explain away any supernatural experience.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Postby jamjam » 02 Feb 2012 23:32

.. Again?

Postby Summerlander » 04 Feb 2012 02:33

Patience...patience... :roll:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Sleep Disorders”