Know thy self

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
buildit

Know thy self

Postby buildit » 24 Sep 2014 04:45

So till I learn the terms better I fear I'll only be able to describe stuff the way I always have. But I am excited to to so because maybe now someone will be able to say, "Yeah, I know what you mean!" instead of look at me like I just described another dimension. :roll:

So I hear lots of people talk about having short or abrupt LD. I wonder if it is because they are scared or surprised? I know my own LD didn't flourish till the act of controlling the dream was not a shock which in turn would increase my heart rate. It is not true to me that troubled dreams are harder to control. It's always been a matter of stopping the action first. Once the world is a rest you can take your time to manipulate it. It shouldn't require a feeling of exertion or force.

Will power is key. Understand this is your mind! The subconscious is not a wild animal, in fact it fights hard to put reason to the illogical. For example, what part of falling makes you afraid? I found it was the sudden stop at the bottom. :lol: Well, if the ground doesn't exist then falling forever is a lot like flying. After all our whole planet is in an eternal fall into the sun, but our orbit keeps us from ever hitting bottom so to speak. Once you can remove the fear, flying is relatively easy with will power.

Ever had a regular dream where a device or written document was very important? I had them regularly for a while and I learned to freeze then analyze. I hate to say what I found was the items were bogus. Machines which promised magical results had hollow insides and documents like maps showing where something important was located were nonsense. My scientific conclusion was that these artifacts are the construct of my subconscious to make elements capable of creating order in an otherwise disordered universe. I'm not saying frozen analysis is not important because it can allow in depth investigation of situations or environments and these can often prove far more fruitful.

Perspective is everything inside a dream. Having a corporeal body in a dream can inhibit things. With frozen investigation in non corporeal form you can move in any direction including thru things. It helps me to envision myself as an energy cloud that can move at velocities beyond light and occupy space in multiple places at once by spreading the energy out while remaining connected by wisps of energy. When you are both in front and above and behind something like a car going down the road things get interesting. But don't worry about keeping up mentally, time is fluid and again it's a matter of perspective. Does a humming bird think we are slow? LOL :P

The unexplainable... it's weird! I've seen several people discuss Deja Vu. Oh yeah, and you don't know you know until you know. That sounds obvious but I find it true. :oops: I never see a future event coming but I always know I've experience that moment after it happens. Scientifically it actually makes good sense, you can't alter events or change the future if you've already been there. The first time it happened to me I stopped freaked. It's happened lots of times and it's always the same. An event occurs and like a flash in your head you just know you have seen that before. These moments are never clear as being forthcoming until you're experience that moment. Way I see it when I stop seeing those moments as I go forward thru time it will either mean my end is near or the universe is going to end. :ugeek: :o

Out of body, never done it. Not sure I am ready to either as I might not return. :) I'd be very happy to escape this world and my corporeal confinement to travel the universe as energy like I do in my mind. I think there are other life forms in the universe and they watch us with the same interest a human watches an insect preform menial tasks. They are aware of us and are waiting for us to obtain a next level of consciousness or physical existence. Maybe someday I will attain a mental state that allows me to detect them. Hey, a guy's got to have goals right? :P

Down side of all of this is the BS factor. None of you know if I'm floating manure in your streams. This is why I am still reading some others experiences. Not being a jerk but I can tell some are just trying to hard, like the guy who looks at the three D image in a picture saying they can see it too. I hope I can figure out some simple tools to make it easier for those on the verge, but if not maybe I can describe things well enough so they know when they get there. :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

buildit

Re: Know thy self

Postby buildit » 24 Sep 2014 14:27

Being on the edge of control. Controlling dreams is one thing but being able to enjoy them is another. I wonder sometimes how my subconscious can come up with so many scenarios to explore. All the things we must see and then ignore consciously but our subconscious still fights to make sense and put order to. It's that edge of control where you are still invulnerable where watching what plays out is, well, interesting. It's like watching B movies. The acting sucks, plots make no sense and if there is an end its horrible. :lol: Maybe that's just my mind, others experiences my differ. People with more creative mind probably get better channels! :? :D

Drugs for dreams. I read several comments from people about using drugs (legal) to help induce dreams. My thought would be isn't this like drinking alcohol to be a better driver? Yes, alcohol can remove inhibitions allowing a timid person to be more daring, but at the cost of reflexes, balance and response time. It is one thing if a drug needed for a medical condition is effecting your dreams but to me unwise to affect your dreams by involving drugs. :|

So when do I mostly LD? In retrospect it occurs the most when I am under stress or pressure in the real world. In college a big final or important midterm could really bring it on. Also learning a new skill where I have apprehensions can induce LD for me. Maybe it's just my way of training, because often the LD involves multiple scenarios where I am doing the activity and fail, then rewind and reattempt it another way. Best example I have is when I was down hill skiing. Nights proceeding a trip would often involve many LD experiences where I was on a slope and anything from misreading the terrain to another skier swerving in front of me would occur. If I didn't make it I'd try again or change the rules. But stress can also induce it and when I had to put one of my dogs down this summer I had a lot of lucid dreams with her. :cry: So in many ways my LD sounds like a coping mechanism. Odd, I never really thought of that before. :oops:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 02:46

Practice makes perfect and practicing things that require physical dexterity and muscle memory are awesome to do in a lucid reality. For example when I was into martial arts I would practice many of the moves required for the belt tests in my dreams. But the best example of perfecting a skill in LD for me was water skiing. My dad and I used to go to the Adirondacks and one summer a family staying near us rented a ski boat. My dad was an avid skier as a kid and could ski really well, I'd never done it and spent one of the most uncomfortable days up there I ever had trying to drink the lakes full volume as they tried again and again to get me up on skies.
That night I had many lucid dreams about my failure at water skiing and ran the events backwards and forwards thru my dream, analyzing everything, including what t do once I made it up. The next day and our neighbors trying not to exclude me from the fun offered me another go. I don't think from the looks on their faces they thought I'd say "yes". :?
So I braced myself like I had done in my dream in a seated position in the water instead of legs floating in front of me as they had suggested. First try I was up and skiing! Legs a lot wobbly, maybe a few inches to wide apart, grip on the tow line way to tight but for a good 30 seconds I was skiing! Then we went to turn and I did just what I had planned in my dream. While I'm a pretty good scientist I had not taken physics at that point in my life yet and so my LD had not accounted for the need to maintain tension on the rope in the turn. I kept my turn to tight staying on top of the engine wake and the two rope developed slack, then as the turn was completed by the boat the slack was quickly disappearing and my rate of travel was now way too slow. The tow rope was ripped from my hands and I again went face first into the water. :lol:
But I had managed in one night to overcome the basics of a skill set I had never had! In my book that sort of learning is pretty awesome in reality and fantasy. ;)

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 27 Sep 2014 03:21

buildit wrote:Practice makes perfect and practicing things that require physical dexterity and muscle memory are awesome to do in a lucid reality. For example when I was into martial arts I would practice many of the moves required for the belt tests in my dreams. But the best example of perfecting a skill in LD for me was water skiing. My dad and I used to go to the Adirondacks and one summer a family staying near us rented a ski boat. My dad was an avid skier as a kid and could ski really well, I'd never done it and spent one of the most uncomfortable days up there I ever had trying to drink the lakes full volume as they tried again and again to get me up on skies.
That night I had many lucid dreams about my failure at water skiing and ran the events backwards and forwards thru my dream, analyzing everything, including what t do once I made it up. The next day and our neighbors trying not to exclude me from the fun offered me another go. I don't think from the looks on their faces they thought I'd say "yes". :?
So I braced myself like I had done in my dream in a seated position in the water instead of legs floating in front of me as they had suggested. First try I was up and skiing! Legs a lot wobbly, maybe a few inches to wide apart, grip on the tow line way to tight but for a good 30 seconds I was skiing! Then we went to turn and I did just what I had planned in my dream. While I'm a pretty good scientist I had not taken physics at that point in my life yet and so my LD had not accounted for the need to maintain tension on the rope in the turn. I kept my turn to tight staying on top of the engine wake and the two rope developed slack, then as the turn was completed by the boat the slack was quickly disappearing and my rate of travel was now way too slow. The tow rope was ripped from my hands and I again went face first into the water. :lol:
But I had managed in one night to overcome the basics of a skill set I had never had! In my book that sort of learning is pretty awesome in reality and fantasy. ;)

I always wondered if it was possible to learn things in a dream and bring them to the world. So theoretically you could practice become a basketball player in your dream and be really good in real life?

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 03:41

dreamstudent wrote:I always wondered if it was possible to learn things in a dream and bring them to the world. So theoretically you could practice become a basketball player in your dream and be really good in real life?

Understand the difference between muscle memory and skill. Repetition in the dream builds comfort in the mind to do an action without the pauses or hesitation experienced when doing a new skill. Like dancing! If you don't have physical ability then LD will not make you a star on dancing with the stars. :lol: BUT, it can increase the speed at which the neural pathways for preforming an action are preformed.
In the case of my water skiing I think I transferred physical abilities from snow skiing and maybe roller skating as a kid into a cohesive means of water skiing within a short time. It has also worked well for me singing in karaoke. I perfected Garth Brooks, ain't going down in one night by singing it in my dreams. So prepping for school tests works also.
It would not make you stronger if you spent your dream time lifting weights. :roll:

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 27 Sep 2014 03:49

Haha yes I understand I knew it wouldn't physically stimulate my muscles but you answered my question nonetheless with the neural pathways example. Thanks. Could I potentially study my chemistry book in a dream and understand the concepts better then? wouldn't the book differ in my dream? or have you had experience with books at all or studying?

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 03:55

dreamstudent wrote:Haha yes I understand I knew it wouldn't physically stimulate my muscles but you answered my question nonetheless with the neural pathways example. Thanks. Could I potentially study my chemistry book in a dream and understand the concepts better then? wouldn't the book differ in my dream? or have you had experience with books at all or studying?

Despite several people online reporting great success reading books in their sleep I've never had an experience where I could open a book I didn't already know and read the words on the page. So in studying chemistry I would use it for demonstration. Where else can you design human sized models of molecules and then view the electrons create ionic or covalent bonds? If you are so inclined you could certainly do the math for determining atomic weight, but you'd need to have memorized the periodic table.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 27 Sep 2014 03:59

Hm that just gave me a very interesting idea. And couldn't I just spawn a periodic table and look of that? Were working with mol calculating right now but I like your idea about a human size element and looking at the covalent bond build or the neutron and proton build. its funny because you cant actually see the electrons in a atom we just know there there. So what if you created the life size atom... then slowed time down and you could see the electron spinning! Genius buildit. :D :D

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 04:08

dreamstudent wrote:Hm that just gave me a very interesting idea. And couldn't I just spawn a periodic table and look of that? Were working with mol calculating right now but I like your idea about a human size element and looking at the covalent bond build or the neutron and proton build. its funny because you cant actually see the electrons in a atom we just know there there. So what if you created the life size atom... then slowed time down and you could see the electron spinning! Genius buildit. :D :D

Very Good!!! You are seeing how it works. Develop a comfortable understanding of properties, relative positions and interactions. Then let your subconscious put the model into action. Think of an electron cloud as like a molecule in the rings around Saturn. You can also envision the rings as the orbitals (energy states). This technique was really helpful when I took organic Chem.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 27 Sep 2014 04:23

Wait a minute so your telling me you already did the idea I just posted above? :o

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”