What exactly is a "normal dream" vs "Lucid Dream"

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DreamerDad

What exactly is a "normal dream" vs "Lucid Dream"

Postby DreamerDad » 02 Oct 2014 10:26

Hi there,

I just stumbled upon your site the other day while running through a fitness website. They mentioned Lucid Dreaming as a way to meditate, then pointed to this site.

I can't believe what i'm reading to be honest and just wanted to chime in and speak to like minded people here in order to share experiences.

I've not being trying long, but I've been basically trying to implement the MILD technique, but being a father of two, this can be difficult at times. Sometimes, by the time I've woken up, I don't want to wake my kids up and give my wife a hard time before I go to work. I don't get to fill in my dream diary, but I do actively try to recall my dreams.

It's a weird feeling, i'm not sure how other people perceive "normal dreams" but to me, its more of a retrospective experience. Kind of like, I "did" do that, or I did "experience" something, but its more like it was in the distant past, it seems grey, monochrome, muddled, and even though I know I had an elaborate dream, i can only remember parts of it, if I focus very hard on remembering the moment I wake.

I spoke to my wife about this, because she is into Reiki. She told me that when she dreams, the dream is no different than me and her talking together right now. She is in the dream, although she says she has no free will, its like watching a film to her. I was astonished to hear her dream experiences are that vivid. She was astonished to hear that mine are not like hers.

So, my question to you all is. How do you experience "normal dreams" and how do they differ to "lucid dreams"? I'm a pragmatic and evidence based person, even though i am spiritual at times, I like to see evidence and I have trouble internalising the notion that, a dream could be a real to me as I am typing on this keyboard now.

In my dream last night, I know a lot of things happened, some of them far fetched, but I can only recall a fraction of what happened, people I recognise. I don;t recognise motivation or the purpose for the things I'm doing in the dream. One minute I could be driving, searching for something. I feel that the drving was purposeful, but when I wake up, I cannot recall why. The dream seems like i didnt really experience it, like it is just a memory of something that never happened. not a tangible reality like you all describe over here.

On that, I really would like to have lucid dreaming as a part of my life. I have always been a day dreamer, creative and very inward thinking. I really live life in the present, and my mind wanders to fantasy land all the time. I'm going to continue with MILD every night, and my wife is going to teach me meditation through her Reiki studies.

I also have a great deal of trouble recognising that I am in a dream. I go to bed with the intention to remember, and I have been doing my Reality Checks daily. But my "dream self" simply does not even entertain the fact that I am dreaming. In fact, the dream does not feel in the present tense at all, when I wake up, I feel the dream was only ever a memory, and with that, I am unable to influence it because it didn't happen in real time. It's difficult to explain.

I just hope it happens for me, even if I have to wait. The stories of some people waiting years to experience this amazing phenomenon dampens my spirits somewhat.

Thanks for reading, i'd love to get a discussion going. Please feel free to come back with your thoughts and your experiences.

torakrubik

Re: What exactly is a "normal dream" vs "Lucid Dream"

Postby torakrubik » 02 Oct 2014 23:47

When I'm lucid, I become much more aware of the dream. It's as if I was drunk the whole time in normal dreams; everything seems blurred and vaguely defined. In comparison, lucid dreams are like sobriety. Vividity tends to increase and I notice so much more.
Dreaming is my drug

buildit

Postby buildit » 03 Oct 2014 00:17

I've experience vivid dreams that were not lucid and lucid dreams where I was not in control. To really answer your question read the definition of lucid, does that describe your situation?

Lucid
adjective
1 a lucid description: intelligible, comprehensible, understandable, cogent, coherent, articulate; clear, transparent; plain, simple, vivid, sharp, straightforward, unambiguous; formal perspicuous. ANTONYMS confusing, ambiguous.
2 he was not lucid enough to explain: rational, sane, in one's right mind, in possession of one's faculties, compos mentis, able to think clearly, balanced, clearheaded, sober, sensible; informal all there. ANTONYMS muddled, confused.

A Vivid dream to me is more about the perception with sight, touch, taste, and sounds. The difference between watching a movie in black and white or HD might be a fitting example.

But have many have told me the scale of vividness and lucidity is a sliding scale. Like Hargart says, "It's like asking your buddy if the girl walking by is a 9 or 10" on a scale of 1-10. Your friend might say she's not even a 6. :lol:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Oct 2014 06:57

Vivid and Lucid are two separate things. Lucid is how clearly you are thinking, and vivid is how many senses you have (touch, sight, smell, taste, hearing, as well as a few others like proprioception and sense of balance. We actually have more than 5 sense...). I've had some really amazing dreams that were not lucid, but very vivid. They tend to be the last dream in the morning when REM is longest and your mind is closest to waking and thinking straight. That's when most of my lucid dreams happen too. The last dream in the morning. I must say, sleeping in helps a lot, but perhaps you can do that on the weekends. Or you can adjust your sleep cycle every few days. Get a lack of sleep one day, and then go to sleep early the next so you 'sleep in' to your regular time. That's known as the Cycle Adjustment Technique and also uses the effects of REM rebound. (I'll explain later if you ask or just look those terms up yourself).

Another name for lucid dreaming is, "Conscious Dreaming", if you want to look at it that way. Like Torakrubic said, it's like being in a drunken dream stuper and then suddenly snapping to your senses. You wake up in a dream. Your cognitive thinking is activated and this often leads to 5 second lucids for most who experience it for the first time. But after a while, like anything in life, practice makes perfect until you are not phased by it or excited and it simply becomes routine.

(I still get a few 5 second lucids too though and I bet everyone does, no matter how 'good' they think they are).

So anyway that is the difference, and you have to see it to believe it, because I was amazed by some of my early WILDs (another term you might have to look up) and how I could walk around, think in my head as clearly as I am typing this, and feel things, see things, taste, hear, and everything as if it is a virtual reality. I'm always blown away by water and ice, and how it can feel so real and 'wet' or 'cold'. It truly can be that realistic, trust me. (It's not the same as waking reality though and visually things don't tend to cast shadows since there is no source of light, and I'm still only 90% rationally thinking at best.... but I'll just let you learn at your own pace and if I go on I will end up writing a whole book!).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DreamerDad

Postby DreamerDad » 03 Oct 2014 10:16

Thanks all for the replies.

Especially the advice

I've had some really amazing dreams that were not lucid, but very vivid. They tend to be the last dream in the morning when REM is longest and your mind is closest to waking and thinking straight. That's when most of my lucid dreams happen too. The last dream in the morning. I must say, sleeping in helps a lot, but perhaps you can do that on the weekends. Or you can adjust your sleep cycle every few days. Get a lack of sleep one day, and then go to sleep early the next so you 'sleep in' to your regular time. That's known as the Cycle Adjustment Technique and also uses the effects of REM rebound.

My next question was regarding how to fit in my practice (especially WILD) when I have two kids waking me up all the time. Even when my wife takes them downstairs in the morning before work (we share that responsibility of course :P) I cannot get back to sleep because of the noise. I try to meditate, and I have had some success at feeling a semi trance like state where my body feels heavy, but I am yet to silence my inner voice.

But your advice regarding staying up late then going to bed early seems like a great idea, i'll try that.

The problem i'm having at the moment is that I am simply unable to remember my dreams at all. Well, sometimes I do remember parts of them and i'll try to write them down and keep them in my thoughts all day. Last night I know I had a dream but I could not for the life of me remember it. All I could recall was the theme that I was taking my daughter to school.

I think I need to work on two things:

1) Dream Recall
2) Meditation and learning to improve my self awareness through meditation.

On the subject of Lucid vs Normal. I've definitely had dreams where I realise im in a dream and start flying around and such like, especially when I was younger. I was talking to my brother about this and he reminded me that I had told him about these kind of dreams. But never to I remember having dreams where the clarity of thought is that of the real world.

I really want this and need this in my life. I've not been trying long.

I'd really like to hear some stories and experiences from others who were at the same stage as me, or perhaps in a similar life situation as me with family, and honestly had success with making this a reality.

Thanks and look forward to continuing the conversation!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Oct 2014 07:29

Stick with simply enjoying your dreams and consider them important and memorable. The rest should come naturally without effort since it won't be difficult, but a labour of love. And how long it takes won't even matter if you enjoy every step of the journey.

Lucid dreaming shouldn't be the final destination. Just change the way you approach every night and view sleep, not as a time to pass out between now and then, but another time to live and experience. You will dream more, recall them more, and lucid dreaming should inevitably follow.

Those are just words of encouragement. Not an answer or solution, but hope it made sense and resonates with you.

DreamerDad

Postby DreamerDad » 06 Oct 2014 10:04

Thanks for your words of encouragement Hagart.

Was it like this for you when you started out?

Currently, I've been trying two techniques. The first is the WILD technique LDOC, whereby you try to induce a trance like state. I've been seeing little success with this. There is always a distraction in my house, what with the kids or the noise outside (we live on a busy road), it's very hard to not be disturbed.

The second is the very popular SSILD technique, (kind of a mixture of DILD and BTB) whereby you try to induce awareness before you go back to sleep thorough stimulating your senses.

I 'think' I had some success using SSILD, whereby I 'woke up' and the wardrobe in front of me was upside down, I tried to tell myself I was in a dream. This is the first and only time I have ever realised I am in the dream world. It felt more 'real' than a normal dream, but still nowhere near where lucid dreamers describe it.

I then remembered if you fall backwards you can ground yourself in the dreamworld, so I did. I then saw the chest of drawers by the bed, horizontal, as I was laying down, and assumed I had been laying in a funny position and this explains why the wardrobe was upside down. After this I had a normal dream, and woke up. I recorded my dream in my DJ.

Since then i've not and never have realised i'm in a dream, I just don't make that connection, its like i'm watching a really hazy film, its grey, patchy and I dont even remember ive had a dream until im downstairs making breakfast for the kids. At which point it comes flooding back.. and I write my DJ. I'm frustrated I cant make that connection in my dream.. :( I'll try and take your advice on board.

Did you feel like this at first?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Oct 2014 20:07

I'm one of those people who never read a book about it, learned how to lucid dream, or even practiced. I use to get a lucid dream every now and then a few times a year, then maybe once a month, and now, it's at least one per week and sometimes more. It just progressed on it's own.

I always found my dreams interesting and remembered them for many years. I was digging through a box of old stuff of mine and was pleasantly surprised to find a dream journal I started for the fun of it 10 years ago. (It only lasted a month or two, and half of them don't ring a bell). But 2 were lucid. I didn't even know the name for it at the time, and simply wrote, "and then I knew I was dreaming...." yada yada. Even then it wasn't new to me.

I actually don't remember my first one, and like others you may here from, just thought it was natural to have them from time to time and everybody does it. I had a natural tendency to remember my dreams and while my brothers, and family would all discuss the upcoming day during breakfast, I'd be quiet recalling my dreams....

I believe, like any habit (brain plasticity), anyone will develop better dream recall with time. I did it naturally when I was younger, but anyone can start today at any age and see results eventually after a few months. ( If only I can convince my mother, brothers, and other family of that. I'm the only lucid dreamer I know. They never discussed dreams and never bothered to remember, so I think that's why they don't remember easily today, even if they tried. )

Derpybunneh

Postby Derpybunneh » 13 Oct 2014 22:14

I haven't been able to explore the lucid dreaming world as much as I would like to, so I haven't really experienced for myself how a normal dream is different from a lucid dream. But from what I have read lucid dreaming is having control over your dreams and It is more vivid.
LUCID DREAMS: 5
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 14 Oct 2014 00:02

Derpybunneh wrote:But from what I have read lucid dreaming is having control over your dreams and It is more vivid.

Lucid dreaming is when you are aware you are dreaming, regardless of the level of control, just so you know! :) It can and usually is more vivid too but again this is not a requisite.
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “For Beginners”