The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Oct 2014 18:10

superfly9 wrote:I love the fact that I have finally conquered my fear of non-existence, with mainly science and the belief that.. the universe is so ridiculous.. that something whether it be conscious or not.. there has to be something after this.

I doubt whether in my lifetime that it will be proved, but I will never believe in the supernatural or the fact that since you have heard or seen otherwise in a Lucid Dream that you now believe in retard crap..,

Sorry, am I missing something here? Why would you have panic attacks and existential meltdowns as a result of Catholicism? As far as I know, Christians believe that humans are infinite beings and that they will never have to experience a great "nothingness" because God will either throw them into eternal agony for "not believing in him" or take them up to heaven for eternity. So ... what? And then you seem to say that atheism and science have led you to believe that "there has to be something after this." Actually, atheism is the fuel for the existential meltdowns and all of that. Because atheists have the guts to admit that the evidence suggests we are simply biological machines with nothing inside of us and that there is no God up in the sky, looking down.
Christians just wrap themselves in layers of denial and base all of their beliefs on whether or not those beliefs give them a warm, fuzzy feelin' inside. If it doesn't give them that "warm, fuzzy feelin'", it must not be true!

In my opinion, you don't even need science to disprove Christianity (although it certainly does). I mean, either God is some psychopathic, egotistical, power-crazed deviant who created humans to live in a world full of suffering in the mud and whom he implores to believe in him against all reasoning OR Christianity is full of crap.

Imagine if someone came up to you and said, "I love you more than anything else in the world. I know that you have no proof of this and that you only just met me, but I NEED you to have faith that I love you. Now ... I want you to love me back, too. And if you don't love me back, I AM GOING TO TORTURE YOU EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR LIFE FOR ETERNITY!"

Doesn't really add up.

But even though Christians don't really have any reasoning to support their claims, agnostics are probably the most stupid and ignorant of everyone, atheists and Christians included. I find it so amusing when people say things like "what's the point in debating whether a god exists; we will never figure it out."

Of course there's a point in debating it! How can people be so disinterested with the world they live in to just sort of shrug and say, "Eh, screw it, it takes too much energy to contemplate these things. I'll just focus my entire being on earning my next paycheck." That's basically what agnostics say.

Too much is at stake to plead ignorance. You either live your entire life in constant fear of some Lovecraftian maniac in the sky judging your every action (even though some of your actions don't even hurt another living thing, they are still considered inherently evil by Christianity) or you employ reason and end up burning in hell forever. I mean ... at least Christians seem to realize that you need to pick a firm, solid side in the argument or else you're an idiot. Mainly they think this because they use Hell as a scare-tactic. In fact, I'd be so bold as to say that the reason Christianity is so popular in the world is because people are scared of Hell. They don't really believe in the fairy tales of Christianity, not really; they're just too scared to admit they don't.

Anyway, you have to pick a firm side in the argument. Ignorance is never an acceptable answer.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 00:39

Christians are fools in the sense that they choose to believe in something for which they A) have no proof of; and B) sadomasochistically accept the relationship between them and God.

God, as portrayed in Christianity, is like the North Korean dictator. I sent my son to save you. I live in him and you must accept him or else you're doomed. You must love me and fear me. Do not question my revelation and authority, just trust it to be the truth without proof or face damnation. So being "good" (as He wants you to be) under this law can never be noble. You are basically doing as you are told because you fear hell and simultaneously you're bribed with heavenly bliss.

Pascal's wager is a weak argument (not really believing and very much an agnostic "just in case the celestial dictator exists so let's behave" position). The only honourable position is to come to terms with the truth. Evidence strongly suggests there is no God, no afterlife, and no free will. It befits atheism - the only sensible, reasonable, logical position to hold.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 05 Oct 2014 01:20

For an Atheist to be an Atheist is internally consistent. A Christian being a Christian is also internally consistent. Both have evidence to point to to support their beliefs. Both can point to other people who agree with them. For a good time, force the Atheist and the Christian to interact with each other.

buildit

Postby buildit » 05 Oct 2014 01:28

Summerlander wrote:Christians are fools in the sense that they choose to believe in something for which they A) have no proof of; and B) sadomasochistically accept the relationship between them and God.

Wow. Seldom do you hear people come straight out and make such hateful comments. You could be the next great anti-Semitic leader or our time. Just a few bible burnings and you can claim the nobel prize. :roll: Oh wait, they don't have a peace prize for the anti-semite category. :lol:

I really don't know what bible thumper peed in your fruit loops but your hate if vehement and uncharacteristic of someone who truly wants better lives for his fellow man. So please work on forgiving whoever it was who wronged you and maybe you'll prove you are the better man. Beating your chest and making derogatory statements belittling others certainly won't do it. Most are too smart to fall for that act. :|

According to 100 Years of Nobel Prizes a review of Nobel prizes award between 1901 and 2000 reveals that (65.4%) of Nobel Prizes Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference.

Those poor deluded fools. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 05 Oct 2014 02:36

After much deliberation, I decided I'm probably around a 5.99 on Dawkins's scale.

I realize that there is no proof of a god and that all the evidence suggests that there IS no god. But I suppose I'm simply too much of a coward to totally submerge myself in the enlightened pool of atheism. Many would claim that cowardice should have no influence on one's beliefs. Beyond the fact that any rational person would know self-interest is a perfectly legitimate reason for belief, I would reject the sentiment solely on the grounds that few people truly understand the full scope and implications of Christianity's hell--if it did exist, of course.

The concept of "eternity" itself is hellish. It is impossible for the human mind to even comprehend the concept of infinity. I think that humans are altogether mortal creatures; if one was subjected to immortality, one would be driven conclusively insane before long. I'd give it maybe five hundred years, with a totally healthy psyche to start off with (and there is no such thing as a totally healthy psyche). I've observed that the only thing that allows any human to endure discomfort or pain is expectation. Humans feed off of and are derived from expectation and hope that eventually it will get better.

But when you add in the most intense torture imaginable being orchestrated on you every second of every day for eternity, with absolutely no hope of it EVER ENDING ... it's simply too terrible.

Again, that's probably why Christianity is so popular. It employs the greatest scare-tactic imaginable for converting people.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2014 21:06

buildit wrote:Wow. Seldom do you hear people come straight out and make such hateful comments. You could be the next great anti-Semitic leader or our time. Just a few bible burnings and you can claim the nobel prize. :roll: Oh wait, they don't have a peace prize for the anti-semite category. :lol:

It's not hate (at least not for those who adhere to the tenets of religion) even though you may get that impression, my friend. But allow me to enlighten you. If it makes you feel any better, I was one of those fools. But I woke up. You see, what is bad is the ideology that infects the minds of so many people and does not give children the chance to think for themselves. As for anti-Semitism, you got me all wrong. I don't hate Jews. In fact I have both Christians and Jews in my family. My own mother is a Catholic who respects my atheistic position. But not having hate for religious people does not stop me from making the following comment about the war in Gaza: both sides (Jews&Muslims) believe in bullshit. ;)

buildit wrote:I really don't know what bible thumper peed in your fruit loops but your hate if vehement and uncharacteristic of someone who truly wants better lives for his fellow man. So please work on forgiving whoever it was who wronged you and maybe you'll prove you are the better man. Beating your chest and making derogatory statements belittling others certainly won't do it. Most are too smart to fall for that act. :|

Nothing of the sort happened to me! LOL! And I like the way you've put it! But even if some Bible thumper had wronged me, I think it would be uncharacteristic of me to forgive him when he is not exactly showing remorse or begging for forgiveness. :)

deschainXIX wrote:But when you add in the most intense torture imaginable being orchestrated on you every second of every day for eternity, with absolutely no hope of it EVER ENDING ... it's simply too terrible.

Again, that's probably why Christianity is so popular. It employs the greatest scare-tactic imaginable for converting people.

Touche! But it is gradually being outdone by Islam. Muslims are the most sensitive zealots of all! :D
Speaking of belittling others...according to Muslims and Christians, atheists will burn in hell. they irony is that they are the ones who need saving from utter ignorance. :lol:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

superfly9

Postby superfly9 » 07 Oct 2014 07:51

deschainXIX wrote:
Anyway, you have to pick a firm side in the argument. Ignorance is never an acceptable answer.

The fact that this went that far a joke to me.. and the reason the ppl believe in god and religion and everything else.., I understand the need to believe.. and I'm happy that they all have that.., but we don't and never will agree.. , I was 10 years old.. deschain.. wen I lost the faith.. and lost all belief in religion, .. Saying that.. I don't hate or dislike anyone that believes in religion.. its been a part of human life since the beginning of conscious thought, I only say ignorance is bliss because in.. let me state this.. " In my opinion.. the ppl that believe in religion have an easier conscious existence than the general atheist " , We have to think about the negativeness of non-existence and the fact there probably is nothing after this.., whilst everyone else might be living happy as larry with a heaven or a huge amount of virgins to indulge them. We atheists look for answers and want believe in scientific results rather than a book or hearsay

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Oct 2014 09:36

Death need not be negative, anyway. Like the saying by Mark Twain (I think it was him): Where death is I'm not...and vice versa. We were "dead" millions of years before we were born and didn't bother us one bit.

Also, we are not worried about hell or a boring heaven after death. We will be free from experience. We are also not worried about being watched by a celestial dictator 24/7 and the thought police scanning our minds. So I think the atheist has more potential to be in a better mental state. There is, after all, a massive difference between countries like Iraq/Syria and Sweden/Netherlands. (The latter live peacefully, have low crime, and are more atheistic and agnostic.)

And then there is meditation which is strongly recommended by neuroscientist and atheist Sam Harris. We can examine the nature of consciousness, the illusion of self, and come to accept our true nature. We are mortals.

Finally... :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3mrOT_wGY

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Oct 2014 03:31

These religious debates always strike a nerve for some reason. I know why and will share a clip when I find it, but in the mean time here is a common phrase. I don't know who to quote it to, but:

"I'm certainly going to hell, but at least I'll be with my friends!" :D

I came back and edited, due to my disease (inside joke), but I found the clip that explains the feud very well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8ZMMuu7MU
(It was shared by Worldenterer1 in another thread, but relates to this as well)

It has to do with Atheist vs, Theist, but even amongst disbelievers we bicker. We're all going to hell. See you there, buddies! At least then we won't dispute who's agnostic or not! We'll complain about other things. It' too hot! My butt is swore from all the pitchforks poking me. I'll continue to question.... what are we doing here? What are we producing? Are we mining something? What for? I want to speak to whose in charge!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Oct 2014 10:09

LOL! You crack me up, Hagart. And great quote, by the way. Even if I was sure I wouldn't have my friends in hell, I would pick Satan over God any day. Satan is the revolutionary who tries to free us from the celestial dictatorship. Satan points out to us how hypocritical God is. Satan loves us even when we are bad! :twisted:

That Darkmatter video was posted in "Lucid Dreamers and God." And you are right, topics like this have a tendency to turn into Atheist vs Theist debates. It isn't a bad thing though. I think both sides should voice their opinions. It is a great subject too. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”