Blind sight and dream input

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

Blind sight and dream input

Postby buildit » 05 Oct 2014 20:49

So watch this video from about 15 min mark to the 24 min mark where they discuss blind sight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAgFwn4-w4

Now I had never heard of a second visual cortex sending a duplicate signal to the brain of everything we see. However, this make perfect sense to me when considering the subconscious and how it introduces sometime information about the world we life in. I really wonder if dreams are in fact as I have thought, just the subconscious mind showing the conscious mind images and information it's received thru this secondary visual cortex? Do we really have a primitive brain in the background that our conscious mind is constantly trying to keep up to speed on what things are? Could the brain also have secondary pathways for sounds we are unconscious of?

Love this stuff. :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Peter

Re: Blind sight and dream input

Postby Peter » 05 Oct 2014 22:12

We were talking about dual pathways but I was referring about a back up more so that this one. Its fascinating and might have something to do with projection of dreamscapes and images for us to interact with while lucid.

I have read about blind people using skin as a sense organ to pick up images and training themselves to rewire feeling to sight.

I tried this one night and got nicely lucid by WILD.

Lying in bed on my front and had the sheets pulled down to expose my shoulders and about 200mm of skin. I wanted the cool air to be on me for the feeling it gives. Then I put my awareness there and when the feelings started to get firm I "asked" for images instead of feelings. In quick time I started to get some visuals and then in very quick time I was lucid and in a dream. It was dark so not much could have come from it but there was an attempt at visuals and then the dream arrived to take me.

It was just an exercise in awareness and I have not tried it since but it on the list of many more exercises to visit at some time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Oct 2014 12:17

Buildit this year I tried an experiment with hypnagogic images. I tried to see through my closed eyes and did and moved by point of vision around too. A couple days ago inspired by your Blind sight section of that mind video, I tried the same thing, but this time in a completely dark house late at night, I did not bump into anything and even saw and avoided my cat (who should of been outside being a tomcat ;) ). What was I really seeing with, I bet it's the same thing sleep walkers see with we might even be going into the paranormal psi smeg.

I really wonder if dreams are in fact as I have thought, just the subconscious mind showing the conscious mind images and information it's received thru this secondary visual cortex? Do we really have a primitive brain in the background that our conscious mind is constantly trying to keep up to speed on what things are?

Dreams are the final barriers that your brain hides your subconscious from you.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 08 Oct 2014 03:16

Tried today to go for a walk of a few blocks, I could stay on the side walk by using conscious tricks, but had now of the control or ability I had to avoid obstacles that I had using HI to look through my closed eyes and "see". I'm really wondering what's happening with this. Anyone have an explanation?
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

buildit

Postby buildit » 08 Oct 2014 03:23

Snaggle wrote:Tried today to go for a walk of a few blocks, I could stay on the side walk by using conscious tricks, but had now of the control or ability I had to avoid obstacles that I had using HI to look through my closed eyes and "see". I'm really wondering what's happening with this. Anyone have an explanation?

Well, many blind people create a mental map of their surroundings and use auditory or other cues to predict their location on the mental map. If I understand what you are attempting you would need to have someone take you to a location you are unfamiliar with and wearing ear plugs and a blind fold traverse the area to reach another point in the area.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Return to “Dream Science”