Why Do I Dream And Visualize In Third Person?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
iamalitaha

Why Do I Dream And Visualize In Third Person?

Postby iamalitaha » 08 Oct 2014 19:44

I really want to start to dream and visualize in first person but for some reason I do in third person! Sometimes I remember my dreams to be in complete third person but other times I'm not so sure. Today I tried to do some mindful meditation and I tried to visualize myself in a first person but i kept doing it in third person, when i tried to force myself to do it in first person, it felt as if it was a fish eye view and then just naturally switched back to thirst person; this kept happening. Any tips or help would be really helpful!

buildit

Re: Why Do I Dream And Visualize In Third Person?

Postby buildit » 09 Oct 2014 00:01

iamalitaha wrote:I really want to start to dream and visualize in first person but for some reason I do in third person! Sometimes I remember my dreams to be in complete third person but other times I'm not so sure. Today I tried to do some mindful meditation and I tried to visualize myself in a first person but i kept doing it in third person, when i tried to force myself to do it in first person, it felt as if it was a fish eye view and then just naturally switched back to thirst person; this kept happening. Any tips or help would be really helpful!

For me a third person view often accompanies a dream where I am in almost complete control. Just an idea. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 10 Oct 2014 02:35

In my non-lucid and lucid dreams, the image of my ego self sometimes shifts back and forth from the first person, "seeing everything through my own eyes", to the third person, "watching myself moving around" aspect.

When I look back through my dream journal, it seems like it usually does not make much difference whether I am dreaming from a first person or third person view. If some really interesting or insightful event happens in the dream, it's still the same "me" experiencing it, even when some aspect of myself may appear in the form of a pretty strange character or symbol.

It is intriguing that the "witnessing" mode generates 2 selves - maybe it's more of an "insight practice" mode of consciousness. Sometimes this second "witnessing" self appears in scenes where I am struggling with some negative character, and an, "Ah, ha!" event occurs - like I win the fight, or I get the courage to ask the scary figure what he or she represents, or the threatening figure suddenly turns into a friendly, helpful figure.

Some meditation techniques, especially Buddhist meditation, often emphasize cultivating a calm, witnessing awareness when working with troubling emotional situations, and this ability may gradually extend to other areas of life. It is fascinating that the mind is able to move fluidly between these 2 imaginary perceptions of the self image.

I may occasionally try to change the perspective of my dream self but mostly I'm happy to just let the "awareness behind the dreaming" decide which perspective works best in a particular dream scene.

Robert Waggoner, in his book "Lucid Dreaming - Gateway To The Inner Self", discusses how, as he learned more about lucid dreaming, "Not only did I need to be consciously aware of being in a dream, I needed to be consciously aware of being aware!"

iamalitaha

Postby iamalitaha » 10 Oct 2014 17:36

buildit wrote:
iamalitaha wrote:I really want to start to dream and visualize in first person but for some reason I do in third person! Sometimes I remember my dreams to be in complete third person but other times I'm not so sure. Today I tried to do some mindful meditation and I tried to visualize myself in a first person but i kept doing it in third person, when i tried to force myself to do it in first person, it felt as if it was a fish eye view and then just naturally switched back to thirst person; this kept happening. Any tips or help would be really helpful!

For me a third person view often accompanies a dream where I am in almost complete control. Just an idea. ;)

Can you actually feel what's happening though, like the wind and stuff? Is it like immersive?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”