The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby deschainXIX » 11 Oct 2014 16:30

Yeah, if I thought the Christian God existed, I'd gladly be in rebellion to him. :lol: He's basically more evil than Satan, if you think about it. Also, I'm a punk at heart (they're probably the most lucid of all social factions :mrgreen: )
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Oct 2014 18:21

So upon your rejection of any sort of higher power due to lack of tangible proof do you believe life exists elsewhere in the Cosmos? If so why? Have they appeared to you? Did you hear them at SETI? Do you have a book or artifact from an alien race?
I just find it interesting how "belief" is a subjective state. ;)

As to those lining up to join Satan as their front runner, might I suggest that even if there is no GOD and therefore no Satan why would one be drawn towards either? In the human psyche the two polar opposites are formulated as a means for us to identify with good or evil. Are you identifying yourselves with evil and away from that which is good just to stick your nose up at religion or is this an introspective look at the lives you are leading? Be careful about the methods you employ to show your disdain to organized religion as you may find you real life actions reflecting the evil side of morality.
As a side note, I also have read belief systems that embody pure good or pure evil are not good either. The modern terrorist embodies the use of a religion backing a purity of good or evil aspect to religion thereby allowing it's followers to carry out what most consider very evil tasks while proclaiming they are done for the side of good. There is no doubt that a cultist following in any religion can exploit people and have disastrous results. :|
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 11 Oct 2014 20:08

buildit wrote:So upon your rejection of any sort of higher power due to lack of tangible proof do you believe life exists elsewhere in the Cosmos? If so why? Have they appeared to you? Did you hear them at SETI? Do you have a book or artifact from an alien race?

I forget who shared this link. It might have been Hagart. But this is basically my opinion about life elsewhere at the moment: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

(I subscribe to Explanation Group 1. The Great Filter awaits! Lol.)

buildit wrote:As to those lining up to join Satan as their front runner, might I suggest that even if there is no GOD and therefore no Satan why would one be drawn towards either?

Well, I think you can watch a movie or read a fictional novel and not take it seriously but still formulate an opinion about the various characters. All I'm saying is that if you genuinely analyze God's actions and motives with an open mind, you realize that he's not exactly the kind of leader for whom you feel desperately compelled to thrust your fist to your chest and cry "O Captain! my Captain!"
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Oct 2014 01:35

deschainXIX wrote: All I'm saying is that if you genuinely analyze God's actions and motives with an open mind, you realize that he's not exactly the kind of leader for whom you feel desperately compelled to thrust your fist to your chest and cry "O Captain! my Captain!"

Some might say if we genuinely analyze the actions of most parents and their motives we wouldn't trust or love them. Yet when we become old enough and wise enough to understand why they took those actions..... Are we yet wise enough as a race to truly understand?
I am reminded of my friends wife who dammed one of her neighbors for shooting coyotes on his property because she thought all life was valuable. So the neighbor under protest stopped shooting them after she called the police several time, even though it was totally legal. A year later she was destroyed when she cam outside to find her pet cat being torn into pieces and eaten by a coyote. Was the neighbor right, evil or misunderstood? My friends wife still damed the neighbor and maybe even a little more because he was right but she didn't like the way he was resolving the issue before it existed.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Oct 2014 02:07

Lol! Actually, when I was a kid I adored my mum and thought she was always right. As an adult, I can look back and see that she erred like any other. Today, despite loving her, I can see faults. :-D

That's really saying something. To worship God is to be servile and to love it. It is to accept any punishment from Him and to accept that you deserve it and you are inferior because apparently He told you so. Sadomasochism!:-)

If He kills thousands with a tsunami, He is mysterious. If a human being murders en masse, he or she is despicable, evil, abhorrent! Wake up, buildit. Wake up.

The Heavenly father/human parents analogy doesn't wash either. God is invisible and will not act when His children are in mortal danger (duh! He is totally absent/nonexistent). Moral human parents, on the other hand, will do anything to save their children. God's message is incoherent and apparently now we are too inferior and lame to decipher it seen as we don't even understand the lord's mysterious ways: then why bother with revelation and why make us so dumb? (Unlike earthly parents, He is omniscient, isn't He?)

If He does this (pretending for a minute that He is real), then He must love to humiliate us. He has fun at our expense. He loves to confuse us and forces us to believe in Him without question. Total psychotic dictator...

George Orwell nailed it well in "Nineteen Eighty-Four" with the image of the Stalin-like leader. His eyes were everywhere, following you around, and yet, this person was nowhere to be seen ever in public. Was He real or made up? Make up your mind...

Oh, by the way, the reason why we are having a hard time discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is this: the emergence of life on Earth is so improbable that it is most likely a rare thing in the universe. Life evolving elsewhere to the extent that it has on this planet must definitely be like winning the cosmic lottery! :-D

Get used to the silence...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Oct 2014 02:49

Summerlander wrote:Lol! Actually, when I was a kid I adored my mum and thought she was always right. As an adult, I can look back and see that she erred like any other. Today, despite loving her, I can see faults. :-D

Sigmund Freud to the off topic threads. :ugeek:

That's really saying something. To worship God is to be servile and to love it. It is to accept any punishment from Him and to accept that you deserve it and you are inferior because apparently He told you so. Sadomasochism!:-)

You know popular science indicates a strong hate of God is a sign of an inability to be held accountable. Sounds like a lead in for a joke, "The sadomasochist asks the Hypengyophobic about a soul..."

Oh, by the way, the reason why we are having a hard time discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is this: the emergence of life on Earth is so improbable that it is most likely a rare thing in the universe. Life evolving elsewhere to the extent that it has on this planet must definitely be like winning the cosmic lottery! :-D

Get used to the silence...

NEVER! Like any scientist I look to the impossible to provide the answers we think are impossible. :P We call upon the madness of the illogical to provide the outside the box thinking which gave us atoms before they could be detected, a round earth before it could be measures and other galaxies before they could be seen. :D

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Oct 2014 05:03

deschainXIX wrote:I forget who shared this link. It might have been Hagart. But this is basically my opinion about life elsewhere at the moment: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

No, it was Torakrubik, and they made a thread about it off-topic. Just giving credit where credit is due....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

superfly9

Postby superfly9 » 12 Oct 2014 08:51

I feel dirty for even reading this thread again.. , But hey.. what a surprise.. not everyone agrees with each other!, This is a fact of life whether it be with music or the meaning of life.. You do understand that if you go back 10 generations (250 years) the chance of you being born at all is at most 1 divided by 6 x 10100 or
1 in 60000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000.
In gambling, even a chance of 1 to 100 is not worth a gamble.
Are you ever lucky to be alive!!

If you go back 1 million years or 40 000 generations (each generation is considered 25 years), your chance of being born is at most 1 in 1.8 x 10403167 or
18 with 403,166 zeros after the 1.

In other words your chances of existing is essentially zilch, even if we were considering this possibility only a short 250 years ago.
Right now you do exist, so the actual chance is 100%, but the predicted likelihood in the past of you being born would be essentially zero.

and of I course I didn't do that math.. but it's all true.. , So if ya still wanna argue about petty shit.. you will just join the millions upon millions that have been arguing this shit for the past few thousand years or so..

Good luck with that.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Oct 2014 11:45

Lol! Yeah! But, awwww... if I had more time... I would love to refute so much nonsense posted here. Nothing wrong with dispelling myths... ;-)

I have encountered these arguments a thousands times though. It gets tedious. Lrt me get back to the "religion/politics: Iraqi crisis" thread where me and nesgirl have a more important debate going. :-P

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Oct 2014 12:46

superfly9 wrote:I feel dirty for even reading this thread again.. , But hey.. what a surprise.. not everyone agrees with each other!, This is a fact of life whether it be with music or the meaning of life.. You do understand that if you go back 10 generations (250 years) the chance of you being born at all is at most 1 divided by 6 x 10100 or
1 in 60000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000.
In gambling, even a chance of 1 to 100 is not worth a gamble.
Are you ever lucky to be alive!!

If you go back 1 million years or 40 000 generations (each generation is considered 25 years), your chance of being born is at most 1 in 1.8 x 10403167 or
18 with 403,166 zeros after the 1.

In other words your chances of existing is essentially zilch, even if we were considering this possibility only a short 250 years ago.
Right now you do exist, so the actual chance is 100%, but the predicted likelihood in the past of you being born would be essentially zero.

and of I course I didn't do that math.. but it's all true.. , So if ya still wanna argue about petty shit.. you will just join the millions upon millions that have been arguing this shit for the past few thousand years or so..

Good luck with that.

Point taken and yet when science introduced the idea of a multiverse to dispel the intelligent design folks noting of a creators hand being needed because the chances of what we have existing are so small, they opened Pandoras box. Suddenly everywhere, every possible outcome of ever moment is being exploited. So in some universe, maybe ours God Exists and in others he doesn't. Chances are somewhere this argument is already over. :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”