Life after death?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

Re: Life after death?

Postby buildit » 11 Oct 2014 05:16

nesgirl wrote:Just like my best friend, uncle, boss, and little cousin did, if I should fail to heal myself, my sash that supports me will break, and like the others I will fly into the sky look over the horizon, and slowly have my dream body disappear and have my consciousness fade permanently away with it.

Sorry your opinion of an after life is so tainted. I prefer to think that human curiosity is a force in nature. If it is my will alone that propels my soul, whatever that may be, into eternity, it is my curiosity to know and understand what it has all meant that will be the fuel for my will to power it forward thru time. When the last two atoms bump for the last time and time can no longer be measured for lack of universal movement, I will be witness. :ugeek:

"Why did you climb that mountain?" they asked me.
"Because I'd never seen the world from that perspective" I told them.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Oct 2014 05:34

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Oct 2014 16:23

nesgirl wrote:Actually I am fairly surprised Summerland hasn't come on here yet and started debating his views on this, because he just loves to argue about this kind of thing, that and romance.

Well, everyone has a view and there is no right or wrong, unless someone wants to go find out. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 11 Oct 2014 17:05

buildit, I share your view, I think by now you see that Rebecca has them all. At times I think it is not fair how some members use other members to spread their views, but of course it takes all kinds. Including me :)

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Oct 2014 17:45

erichsa wrote:buildit, I share your view, I think by now you see that Rebecca has them all. At times I think it is not fair how some members use other members to spread their views, but of course it takes all kinds. Including me :)

We should all be scientists of our existence. Formulate a hypothesis, experiment, collect data and present a thesis upon which the data can be presented. The more we know from either side of an issue the better informed we all are to formulate new ideas. ;) I appreciate the opportunity to have open forums on so many issues. :D

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Oct 2014 22:50

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Oct 2014 00:57

nesgirl wrote:It isn't that I don't believe in it, it is that I don't want it. With all due respect, talk to some of the other users who have mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or health issues, and see how they would feel keeping them in immortality. I can almost guarantee they wouldn't want to live eternity keeping them.

I hear that loud and clear. IS it fair for me to think that humans might not be the first or only ones to exist in the realm of an afterlife? In fact I suspect there are many alien consciouses that will be there and will likely be older, wiser and "stronger" than we are. It would make sense that such a large, enigmatic and ancient culture might well have well established rules for coexistence and against interfering with the lower dimensions. It would also make sense to me that they would be teachers, healers and sources of great wisdom that life forms capable of sustaining themselves there can access. :) In short the "afterlife might be better and more worth living that you suspect.

Of course the alternate possibility also exists where we are nothing more than a food source for the older stronger races that already exist in the afterlife. In other words we are little fish going into the deep water. :shock:

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Oct 2014 01:10

Well, I'm not going to repeat the reasons why the afterlife is so obviously untenable to me (I feel like I have done it a thousand times) but I will evince here why I wouldn't even want it to be true... ;-)

To be eternally conscious, in the sense of awareness that we are so familiar with (anthropic principle comes to mind), is to be gradually absorbed by an insidious, living hell. Soon you get bored once novelty dies. Infinite time means that you get to do everything you can conceive of an infinite number of times. As if this isn't enough to drive you potty, imagine having to think the same thing over and over again. You would be telling yourself, "I've done this before, I've thought this before, get me outta here..."

Your mind becomes a prison. You learn that once novelty dies consciousness leads to tedium and insanity. You would beg for a swift death guaranteed! The only way we can live forever is if we forget the past, if our memories work against us, in which case there is not much point in eternal life if you forget most of it for the sake of keeping novelty alive.

The truth is more economical: you only live briefly against cosmic time. (And you'll be lucky to remember everything that happens in this brevity - unlucky if you become demented in old age.)

This is the only life one can be sure of. So live like it is the only one because I'm willing to bet my life that it is! B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Oct 2014 01:46

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:26, edited 2 times in total.
Goodbye forever...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Oct 2014 02:19

Touche! So, dead means dead and we should be glad that it is so. It's a blessing in disguise... :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”