Where are our Dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: Where are our Dreams?

Postby Summerlander » 06 Feb 2012 01:33

Dreams are the the interpretation of our thoughts (conscious, preconscious, subconscious) in a realistic way. The same brain activity observed in certain areas of the cerebral cortex while we are perceiving the external world with our senses is at play when we dream. The same mechanism is being used in order to scan minute details of thought representations.

All in all, it is the same subjective "mental playdoh" being used. If it is not translating sensory input during wakefulness, it resorts to interpreting data that the subconscious already contains. The brain is an amazing supercomputer that we are gradually beginning to understand more and more. Soon we will know how it works and may even be able to replicate it artificially. There is no magic nor miracles.

Science may not have the answer to everything but take a look at how much our civilisation has advanced in the last century and all in the name of science. Meanwhile, miracles and paranormal phenomena fail to prove their existence and have had no effect in our advancement whatsoever. Call me a secularist if you will, but, take a look around and smell the coffee. I've researched the pineal gland, by the way. It is just a gland that plays a role in regulating wake and sleep cycles with its serotonin. It never even used to be part of the brain in our primitive ancestors. I guess it found its place where it can be most effective.

If you ask me, there is more of a chance of thoughts and dreams having their roots in quantum mechanics (would explain why dreams defy human logic) than anything else. I've experienced enough lucid dreaming to just jump to the conclusion that dreams happen in another dimension. The dreams are yours and part of your mental "space". There is more evidence for this especially with the fact that, if you believe you can, you can always control the dream environment and its objects.

Where are your dreams? In your head to be precise. :idea:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 Feb 2012 03:02

Dreams really appear as if they are in another dimension, but I think dream reality is constructed in the same way as waking reality, only without the external inputs. We are very good at "creating" reality out of what are just signals that come into our brains.

For all of it's efforts, science is yet to explain the most basic things about the construction of what we call "reality": our 3 dimensional world. The world at the level of atomic and subatomic particles appears to be a mystery at this point. It can not be observed objectively because the act of observation influences what is observed and to some degree determines "reality" at that level. Einstein said "reality is merely an illusion" Objectivity is the biggest illusion of all.

Dreams are simulated reality, and a pretty good simulation from what I've seen in Lds. If reality could be simulated perfectly, would it still be reality? What would be the difference? And how could you prove it wasn't reality? The only true reality is your experience of reality. Reality is completely subjective.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 06 Feb 2012 05:09

I'm liking the responses. I agree with the fact that dreams occur within our own minds. However it still interests me that other dimensions play a role of some sort with OBE or Astral Projection. What do you guys have to say about that? I just like hearing opinions based on more logical information than I am aware of.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Feb 2012 06:45

I dont know if astral projection and OBE are any more that the same stuff as a LD. They all seem to start in much the same way and are interlnked more so that WR is to LD. It may appear that you leave your body in a OBE and enter your body or mind in WILD and are already there in a DILD but I feel we are just splitting hairs as they are part of the same thing

some agreement is here that the LD is in our head so what do you mean by another dimension, keen to get thoughts on this
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Feb 2012 06:56

Summerlander wrote:
I've researched the pineal gland, by the way. It is just a gland that plays a role in regulating wake and sleep cycles with its serotonin. It never even used to be part of the brain in our primitive ancestors. I guess it found its place where it can be most effective.

Not to pick a fight, but this is nonsense. The pineal gland is found in almost all mammals ( maybe all) and has likely been in all primitive ancestors of man, assuming as fact that the current theories of human origins are true, which they almost certainly are not. So which human ancestors are you talking about and what are your sources of evidence for them not having pineal glands.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 Feb 2012 11:57

Snaggle wrote:Not to pick a fight, but this is nonsense.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Try not to use fighting words if you don't want to pick a fight. Just sayin.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

jet199

Postby jet199 » 06 Feb 2012 12:26

Surely any other dimensions which exist will be running through the 4 we use everyday so you shouldn't have to move anywhere to access them. A dimension is a direction you travel in not a place you go to.
There is some evidence that humans can experience dimensions in different ways, particularly time, so it may be that we can also experience our movements in the dimensions that we usually have no knowledge of. I think that at the moment string theory (strings are a long, very thin dimension) says that there are 9 dimensions and there are other groups of physicists who think that there may be more that 10.
Robert Monroe felt that electric wires affected his travelling so if we are using other dimensions when we dream it may well be dimensions that produce electromagnetic effects.

I personally think that dreams are in our heads but I am open to being convinced otherwise.
"The real question is not whether there is life after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death" - Osho

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Feb 2012 00:47

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Snaggle wrote:Not to pick a fight, but this is nonsense.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Try not to use fighting words if you don't want to pick a fight. Just sayin.

Lol, don't worry, I don't take any notice of him any more. :D

KylePK wrote:I'm liking the responses. I agree with the fact that dreams occur within our own minds. However it still interests me that other dimensions play a role of some sort with OBE or Astral Projection. What do you guys have to say about that? I just like hearing opinions based on more logical information than I am aware of.

OOBEs are nothing but lucid dreams. Any sensation can be reproduced in the dream world. Most of the time, the environment one encounters upon an apparent separation from the body is one which is incongruent with reality. If the immediate environment happens to emulate your bedroom, for example, it is always localised. Further exploration will reveal inconsistencies. Even that which you think is accurate in the experience can be revealed to be inacurate upon proper inspection of the real thing and comparison in wakefulness. ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 07 Feb 2012 04:50

Peter wrote: some agreement is here that the LD is in our head so what do you mean by another dimension, keen to get thoughts on this

Planes of existense? I guess. Physical, astral, metaphysical, I don't know haha there is too much speculation to accurately describe anything related to that.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 07 Feb 2012 04:56

Damn, we got some smart people on this blog. I am only smart with nutrition, not all of this good stuff :D this is fun. I like learning xD

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”