Inter Activity Reality Change (IARC) Experiments

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

Inter Activity Reality Change (IARC) Experiments

Postby buildit » 04 Oct 2014 23:46

This is a continuing experiment in doing what might be considered the opposite of dreaming or even a form of walking in your sleep. :lol:

Tried something new today and got an awesome result! So I've talked in some other threads about using LD to preform muscle memory type exercises for athletic stuff where repetition, even in a dream, increases the speed at which the mind can preform a task. But today at the gym I turned the whole thing on it's head!

I'm not one to try to escape reality by entering deep thought realms. Sort of like day dreaming but a bit more lucid and less abstract interference from the subconscious. But my thought was, "Obviously working out in your dreams won't help get you into better shape, BUT! what about exiting reality while working out on a repetitive piece of equipment, so you didn't have to experience the exertion and boring period of working out?"

Possible but I thought if anything external stimulus and heart rate will make this impossible. Yet I wanted to try. Worst thing that could happen is I fall off the elliptical machine right? :lol: So I set the elliptical up for 30 min on a course I am comfortable doing and at a level of exercise I normally do. I know the typical stats for myself at these levels and they are as follows. 350 calories burned, avg heart rate of 130 and 120-130 steps per minute.

I began the work out and closed my eyes. I felt myself doing the familiar repetitive stepping motion and positioned my hands in from of me on the heart rate sensor mostly for stability. I usually step to the rhythm of the music on my MP3 so I have a comfortable pace. I did so now also and then searched for a mental distraction in my head. What mental activity could I envision doing that would recreate in my head a similar enough action to make my subconscious capable of maintaining my physical activity. I wasn't having an easy time finding one.

Then suddenly I had it! I was pushing an ocean liner out of a Hurricane in the Pacific and with my hands against the back was running at super speeds. The spray of ocean water was drenching me and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Suddenly it gained mass and I thought I had hit the shoreline..... I opened my eyes.

15 Minutes had passed, I was making an excessive puddle of sweat on the floor beneath me, I was stepping at 145spm and my heart rate was over 140! With 15 more minutes to go I had already burned over 220 calories. I wonder what those around me saw? at the completion of the 30 minute cycle I had 410 calories and had gone 1.6 miles.

Maybe not earth shattering but pretty cool in my book. I tried to do it again later on the stationary bike but was not very successful. I try to go to the gym ever other day so I will reattempt this Monday with any luck I'll improve the result.

-----------------------------

Another day working out but no success today. I really felt positive I would succeed again as I started working out. Today I started with the stationary bike so I really thought it would be easier, a far less complicated motion and less need to maintain balance being in a seated position. I will document my stats for later reference anyways. 30 min work out, 350 calories using level 14 and 15 resistance with rpms averaging 80-90 and heart rate of 135bpm.
I thought I would have success because I felt like I was detached from the activity when I starting to attempt exiting. So I was kind of doing a mental dialogue of what I would report even, "head at a 45 degree angle to the ground, breathing in thru nose out thru mouth like Tar Chi, picturing myself riding the motorcycle thru the woods or down a gravel road, picking up speed....... " But it never worked. :(
I also decided to call this technique Inter Activity Reality Conversion (IARC) as I continued to try to destract my mind from what was going on. Maybe there were too many people and I felt self conscious pedaling along with my eyes closed? :roll:

--------------------

Documenting 35 min, 380calories, 1.5miles, heart rate as high as 150, using level 5 the entire time. Felt unsuccessful at IARC for all but five minutes for which I felt like I was a white ball of energy with crackling lightening bolt coursing from me, no sound, crackling implied. For whatever reason I feel very comfortable in the energy form.

----------------

10-4 Stationary Bike 30 min, 380 calories, 150BPM Had a period of maybe not complete absence but high mental activity undistracted by my physical exertion. I am starting to think the loud crap music at Planet Fitness is a real issue. I may try doing some low exertion exercise on my own exercise bike here at home to determine if I have greater success without the noises of the gym.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Re: Inter Activity Reality Change (IARC) Experiments

Postby nesgirl » 05 Oct 2014 00:51

You have seriously got to see what happens in this video game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1mF6gZiKE (Will learns to face his fears in his Lucid Dream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mv9WyWR_Y (In real life, Will remembers how he faced his fears in his Lucid Dream, and uses that to not only win the game, but he recognizes the song from his Lucid Dream played by Helen (whom he met in his Lucid Dream BTW) when she gets scared by the sudden black out (just like in his Lucid Dream) and at last gets to met her in person)
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

buildit

Postby buildit » 05 Oct 2014 04:43

nesgirl wrote:You have seriously got to see what happens in this video game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1mF6gZiKE (Will learns to face his fears in his Lucid Dream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mv9WyWR_Y (In real life, Will remembers how he faced his fears in his Lucid Dream, and uses that to not only win the game, but he recognizes the song from his Lucid Dream played by Helen (whom he met in his Lucid Dream BTW) when she gets scared by the sudden black out (just like in his Lucid Dream) and at last gets to met her in person)

Honestly have no idea what that has to do with IARC. Please, use this thread either to discuss the applications for the use of IARC, defining what it is or similar experiments to aid in documenting the conditions required for optimal application. Thank you :)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 05 Oct 2014 04:53

buildit wrote:
nesgirl wrote:You have seriously got to see what happens in this video game:

Honestly have no idea what that has to do with IARC. Please, use this thread either to discuss the applications for the use of IARC, defining what it is or similar experiments to aid in documenting the conditions required for optimal application. Thank you :)

I really thought that kid was using his thoughts to play soccer.
Oh oops, didn't know that.
Actually I have been able to get myself to zone out while exercising or doing a physical activity. I just focus on a thought or whatever, and I will be zoning while exercising, eating or even while watching TV.
Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 05 Oct 2014 05:20

nesgirl wrote:Actually I have been able to get myself to zone out while exercising or doing a physical activity. I just focus on a thought or whatever, and I will be zoning while exercising, eating or even while watching TV.

True, but increases heart rate seems to be a known issue with that so the exercising part is the measurable data part of the experiment. Now if you can have a dream while continuing to exercise for an hour or so that would be impressive and interesting data for the IARC experiment. ;)

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 05 Oct 2014 05:54

buildit wrote:
nesgirl wrote:Actually I have been able to get myself to zone out while exercising or doing a physical activity. I just focus on a thought or whatever, and I will be zoning while exercising, eating or even while watching TV.

True, but increases heart rate seems to be a known issue with that so the exercising part is the measurable data part of the experiment. Now if you can have a dream while continuing to exercise for an hour or so that would be impressive and interesting data for the IARC experiment. ;)

Actually while I zone, it decreases the heart rate and the blood pressure. It's funny, I'll actually have a MHR of about 90 and my blood pressure will be around 88/58-90/60 rather than much higher if I relax. It is much like meditation while I exercise. Although I do usually have hypotension anyway so that is nothing new. However I have to be careful I don't get too overheated or am not in a hot area while I am exercising, or I won't be zoning, I will lose consciousness.
Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 09 Oct 2014 00:09

10-8-14
Elliptical level 5 for 33 min, 150BPM and 423calories. While I didn't feel successful because I had no accompanying vision of another activity to match what I was doing in reality I did drift off and occupied myself with some very interesting thoughts. Main phrases my mind was occupied with include the philosophy that large items are easy to control, it is the quantum level which is uncontrollable and is linked to another dimension that we are at some level linked to. This link could be the basis for why we are conscious of this reality.
Aside from that were some other hard to explain mental views which seemed to distract me from reality so much I went 33 min instead of my normal 30 minutes. :D

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Oct 2014 04:38

10-10-14
30 min on stationary bike, 350 calories, 130 avg BPM. No success and if anything the workout seemed to go on forever. Couldn't concentrate upon not being aware of my surroundings. Too many distractions I guess.

buildit

Postby buildit » 14 Oct 2014 23:42

10-14 Elliptical for 30 min, 400 calories, level 5. Had a good workout and felt energetic as I mentally focused on a distraction of fighting as some sort of warrior in a suite like pacific rim or Avatar.

buildit

Postby buildit » 18 Oct 2014 22:50

600 calories, 45 min, elliptical, level 5. Tried going longer and there was no excuse as the gym was quite today. I am wondering though about the possibility of a link between "runners high" and what I am trying to do.

Return to “Dream Science”