Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
buildit

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby buildit » 15 Oct 2014 04:31

nesgirl wrote:Actually there is nothing more an anti-romantic person likes being told than that they are ugly-looking. And unfortunately, I don't think saying something like that will make someone like that go away. One time I actually mentioned something stunk in the room to make a guy go away, and obviously that didn't work

No this is what you tell a guy if he won't quit following you. You tell them to get lost, and bug off. Then if they start crawling on the ground and crying, you tell them to buck up, quit acting like an idiot in public, and start acting like a citizen.

You're making it too hard. Just mention that STD you got and the girls / guys will run for the exit. :lol:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 15 Oct 2014 11:54

Sounds like some reactionary, ill-conceived dystopia based on your own lack of romance and sex and interaction. You must have some pretty interesting religious views to think romance is "inhuman and disgusting." Scientifically, absolutely nothing is MORE human or natural than sex. You should study a man named Sigmund Freud.

"You want a companion? Adopt a cat or a dog."
So it seems that not only do you want to condemn and "ban" romance, but you want to totally condemn any human interaction at all. (Unless of course you mean taking a dog as a sexual companion ... which makes you an advocate of bestiality.) No mentally healthy person thinks this is a good idea; in fact I'd be very worried if you ever seriously tried to advocate such ideals. It's something straight out of a George Orwell novel. Romance does not currently harm our lives in any way; contrarily it's how we find meaning and beauty in them. If everyone on the planet was a tight-lipped, black-turtleneck-wearing, sex-hating, isolationist prude, I'd probably blow my brains out :lol: . The term romance means more than the conventional, sexual definition: It represents art and imagination and sentimentality. Important things--the world need not be grey and colorless and cold. Free interaction between beings of the same intelligence and perception as yourself is vital to the human psyche. If you lived with a cat and no one else for your entire life, you would literally go insane.

You also seem to think that romance hindered social development.
Actually (and more pertinently to the topic) religion is what hindered scientific and societal progression for a long time. The emergence of the romantic era itself was a consequence of religion. Who knows where we would be now if we had had a Great Enlightenment in the 12th century. Religion, especially the Catholic Church, has always persecuted anyone who tried to even speculate or study the stars to find out what they were. This hindrance in many ways continues to anesthetize our rational human discourse.
(In fact, a generally prudish disgust and discomfort with sex in Western civilization originated with the Catholic Church and its Virgin Mary. Out society had been plagued with taking sex so seriously simply because they believe Mary got pregnant without any biological intercourse. Why the hell do people need to think that sex "means so much"? It doesn't. It's just a thing we living creatures like to do because it's fun. Get over yourselves.)
Again, if you want to be asexual, that's fine, but don't go around saying people who value their sexuality need to be exterminated. Also, I'm sure no one persecutes you because you are asexual. They probably persecute you because you have these radical political ideas about illegalizing sex. You don't see gay people trying to advocate everyone becoming homosexual. They simply want to be given equal rights and left alone. You should do the same.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 15 Oct 2014 18:27

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

buildit

Postby buildit » 16 Oct 2014 04:35

deschainXIX wrote:Also, I'm sure no one persecutes you because you are asexual. They probably persecute you because you have these radical political ideas about illegalizing sex.

I can see where someone with an asexual personality would feel persecuted if not totally alienated in our society. The world of advertising alone is 90% based on the use of sexual innuendo to sell and promote products world wide. If you need evidence of the grip that sexuality has on world society look at the killing of endangered Rhinos in Africa for what? A horn to be ground into a powder as an aphrodisiac! Sharkes killed in schools, dorsal fins removed and the rest discarded for shark fin soup another aphrodisiac. Simply put sex sells and if you're not buying the world becomes a rather lonely place. :|
I can see the frustration of trying to remain detached from the "game" all mammals play for mating rights. But I think someday if not sooner our species will need to detach ourselves from the reproductive imperative a bit more than we are in order to maintain perspectives on global resources, livable space considerations and the biodiversity that currently exists and keeps our ecology in balance. Otherwise I fear we face a malthusian dilemma in our future as populations continue to grow unchecked and the only possibility of reducing growth is mass war or a pandemic of mythical proportions knocking civilization back a few hundred years. :?
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Oct 2014 04:52

buildit wrote:
deschainXIX wrote:Also, I'm sure no one persecutes you because you are asexual. They probably persecute you because you have these radical political ideas about illegalizing sex.

I can see where someone with an asexual personality would feel persecuted if not totally alienated in our society. The world of advertising alone is 90% based on the use of sexual innuendo to sell and promote products world wide. If you need evidence of the grip that sexuality has on world society look at the killing of endangered Rhinos in Africa for what? A horn to be ground into a powder as an aphrodisiac! Sharkes killed in schools, dorsal fins removed and the rest discarded for shark fin soup another aphrodisiac. Simply put sex sells and if you're not buying the world becomes a rather lonely place. :|
I can see the frustration of trying to remain detached from the "game" all mammals play for mating rights. But I think someday if not sooner our species will need to detach ourselves from the reproductive imperative a bit more than we are in order to maintain perspectives on global resources, livable space considerations and the biodiversity that currently exists and keeps our ecology in balance. Otherwise I fear we face a malthusian dilemma in our future as populations continue to grow unchecked and the only possibility of reducing growth is mass war or a pandemic of mythical proportions knocking civilization back a few hundred years. :?

And there is absolutely no reason to kill the poor innocent animals for those reasons. Some people are sick.

And you have no idea about that. Actually I do get persecuted for being the way I am much more than the other way around. And actually I don't even try. Some people literally don't feel any romantic feelings so they cannot understand it, because the chemicals don't work right in their bodies. This is why they are anti-romantic. Similar to if a person were blind, they couldn't understand anything visual.
I agree with you mostly on that, but I think 100% would be a better idea. I mean we could clone instead. And that would mass reduce the population. And you are also correct about the population overgrowth. It would also help if we banned romance to help us further advance in technology, medical, and science advances, making the next generation even stronger.
Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 16 Oct 2014 05:12

nesgirl wrote:I agree with you mostly on that, but I think 100% would be a better idea. I mean we could clone instead. And that would mass reduce the population. And you are also correct about the population overgrowth. It would also help if we banned romance to help us further advance in technology, medical, and science advances, making the next generation even stronger.

Unfortunately making a unsexual and aphrophobic (I made a new term :lol:) society may never fly on the world stage. You may find individuals willing to live that way but policing the society will be difficult as will be controlling the sexual urges of those under 18 within it as it is illegal in the US to preform sexual orientation surgeries except in extreme cases where deemed necessary.

Maybe the easier route would be to develop a drug which blocks sexual impulses and improves concentration? ;)

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Oct 2014 16:21

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Oct 2014 16:54

deschainXIX wrote:Yes! :mrgreen: In my search for atheistic literature, I picked up Sam Harris's "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason." Quite a good read, and I felt this thread was closely related.
Thought I'd mention some of the ideas brought up there. :D

Yes, Harris was mentioned a few pages back in relation to an argument he had with that dickhead actor Ben Affleck about Islam. Sam Harris is cool. I've read "The End of Faith," his amazing thesis "Free Will," his amazing arguments for science being better equipped to provide moral values in "The Moral Landscape," and I check his blog once in a while.

I've read other anti-religious literature like Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason," Richard Dawkins's "The God Delusion," and Christopher Hitchens's "God Is Not Great" and "The Portable Atheist."

At the moment I'm just about to finish reading Dawkins's "The Selfish Gene" which helped me to enrich my debate with nesgirl about her asexual solution to the world. LOL! I'm of the position that losing sex is a terrible thing. One can be sexual and sensible. :mrgreen:

deschainXIX wrote:Yeah, that's the reason I'll probably never have kids. Partially out of fear of messing up their development (it’s so easy to utterly fail your child and raise a nervous wreck if you haven't sufficiently read up on childhood psychology--although I'm sure that's not the case with you lol) and partially out of realizing what a terrible goddamn place the world is.

I want to share a poem with you by Philip Larkin: :mrgreen:

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

Wow, an exorcism, that is pretty extreme. Although I certainly can relate. When I was young, my mother would walk around my room at night, waving a purple flag to "ward off the demons."

My mum used incense. Yeah, making me believe in spirits and demons certainly didn't help with the fear! :lol:

For example, when I was ten or so, my alcoholic mother got me out of school (a Christian private school that essentially crucified any student who uttered the accursed incantation “natural selection”) and told me I was the reason she drank and that I was full of demons et cetera, et cetera. Various bullshit things like this were regularities in our house, and I accepted them as natural, healthy behavior. In fact, in response to Y2K, my dad was going to sell his million-dollar company, make our family join a nudist cult in Maine, renounce all technology, and hunker down with a bunch of other fruitcake Christians. Luckily my mother put the brake on that one. :lol:

That is some fucked up shit! Like my mum, your parents sound like they needed a dose of enlightenment! :D

Sounds like some reactionary, ill-conceived dystopia based on your own lack of romance and sex and interaction. You must have some pretty interesting religious views to think romance is "inhuman and disgusting." Scientifically, absolutely nothing is MORE human or natural than sex. You should study a man named Sigmund Freud.

Nailed it again. 8-)

Now here is a zany so-called liberalist student union that voted against condemning Islamic State fighters for fear that it is "Islamophobic." Just when you thought the world couldn't get crazier:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2794183/national-union-students-refuses-condemn-isis-fears-islamophobic.html
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 16 Oct 2014 19:50

Yeah, I saw that brawl. It was so funny how Affleck (AKA, Batman) just kept yelling about racism while Sam Harris was calm and coolly trying to reason with them. At one point you can see Sam just sort of give up and reach for his coffee mug while Maher and everyone else keep angrily arguing. :lol:

It's interesting. Our society literally defends beliefs systems that time and time again purport violence. I think it's because our societal politics are in many ways still influenced and encumbered by religion, and we're scared of the implications involved in totally discounting one religious dogma. If we discount Islam because it explicitly talks about violence, it will open the possibility of discounting the Bible, which also talks about violence against infidels, oh no!
I also love how people think being anti-Islam is racist. I don't know if they know this, but belief systems have nothing to do with biology. People who are too-hardcore of a liberal don't understand that all ideas should be open to full criticism.
Our civilization has advanced beyond the days when we had full-out, well-defined wars over practical things like territory. Now, ultimately, we only have wars over Ideas. And the world needs to learn that some ideas are so so so wrong. Maybe that unquestionable idea about "right to 'belief'" should be reconsidered.
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Oct 2014 23:57

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Return to “Off-Topic”