Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 21 Oct 2014 23:27

Oh, sorry. The second part of that post wasn't present when I responded.
But yeah, I agree about Obama. I think the man's an intellectual, with a lot of high-minded ideas. But as many presidents have realized in the past, presidency is relatively cold and cut-and-dry and it's hard to make the decisions when you're the one in the hot-seat, presented with unexpected situations. And all right, I might give the book a read.
Well said.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 21 Oct 2014 23:30

Summerlander wrote:Lol! Deschain, congratulations, you're a sociopath!

A non-psycho would think she killed the sister because this one started seeing the handsome stranger. The killing would have been a crime of passion.

:mrgreen: Lol. Can't say I'm altogether surprised. Ell well. And I'm studying to become a doctor! Perhaps I should be a Medical Examiner instead. Just dealing with the corpses. :lol:
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2014 23:42

Dealing with corpses? lol! That's what I plan to do at my local funeral home. I want to be an embalmer! :-D

Yeah, Obama has definitely been under a lot of pressure. Hillary has been criticising him too and has stated that he assigned John Kerry to focus on trivial things. Then again, Obama could argue that he's had to deal with the shit in Gaza, the cold war with Russia and the crisis in Ukraine, and the Ebola pandemic. (Besides the Islamic threat in the Levant.)

I have so many books to read before I pick up the one I mentioned above. I am currently reading Daniel Dennett's "Consciousness Explained" where he is basically murdering dualism. You will like Hitchens, btw. Imagine Sam Harris but a bit more political. Hitchens was the Thomas Paine of our time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 21 Oct 2014 23:48

deschainXIX wrote:
Summerlander wrote:Lol! Deschain, congratulations, you're a sociopath!

A non-psycho would think she killed the sister because this one started seeing the handsome stranger. The killing would have been a crime of passion.

:mrgreen: Lol. Can't say I'm altogether surprised. Ell well. And I'm studying to become a doctor! Perhaps I should be a Medical Examiner instead. Just dealing with the corpses. :lol:

I knight thee "Dexter". :lol: Carry on :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2014 23:52

But he may look more like Chucky!! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Oct 2014 00:05

Summerlander wrote:Dealing with corpses? lol! That's what I plan to do at my local funeral home. I want to be an embalmer!

Yeah, those sort of pleasantly morbid jobs are interesting. I'll probably go for a Forensic Pathologist. Also called "The Detectives of Death." It's definitely the most hardcore of all medical professions, as you have to basically dissect and perform autopsies on all of the most violent and strange dead bodies on a daily basis, trying to determine which of the 5 legal death causes it is: Homicide, Suicide, Natural Causes, Accident, or Unknown. And also the various intricacies of the causes, et cetera. It sounds fun as hell! If I have the stomach for it. I've been in the operating room once before when I was 15, observing a prostate cancer surgical procedure, and I was fine with it. But Forensic Pathology is an entirely different matter, I think.

Summerlander wrote:I have so many books to read before I pick up the one I mentioned above. I am currently reading Daniel Dennett's "Consciousness Explained" where he is basically murdering dualism. You will like Hitchens, btw. Imagine Sam Harris but a bit more political. Hitchens was the Thomas Paine of our time.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to read Hitchens and Dawkins and a several others you and other people have recommended. "Consciousness Explained" sounds extremely interesting. Sam Harris briefly discussed the failure of Descartes in "The End of Faith," and I really enjoyed that.

buildit wrote:I knight thee "Dexter". Carry on

Haha, Dexter is awesome. Great show, up until the third or fourth season.
Well said.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Oct 2014 00:17

Btw, I went to see the new David Fincher film, "Gone Girl," last night. Definitely the best film of the year so far. It was genius and dark and horrifying as are most of Fincher's other films (except for Alien 3 ... we don't talk about Alien 3). While the movie was mainly a vicious hyperbole for the common failures and ruin of most marriages, it was also about how you can never really know a person. You can never really see entirely inside of them, no matter how much you think you can. One mind can never really entirely understand another. It made me think about how truly easy it is for a psychopath to conceal himself/herself in a social crowd. It's impossible to discern a psychopath, if they're hidden well enough.
The really dangerous ones are the ones who are just sane enough and cunning enough to don a wholly convincing masquerade of normality and emotional presence. Not the shooters or the ones who simply go out one night with a sledgehammer and end up in a criminally-insane asylum.
I highly recommend the movie if you have nothing to do. Especially if you like dark (although the filmmaking skill displayed in "Gone Girl" was mostly attributable to the subtle and unexpected seizure upon such incredibly grotesque and mind-numbingly horrifying revelations) stories about psychopathy.
And it stars Ben Affleck! Lol.
Well said.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Oct 2014 00:19

Summerlander wrote:But he may look more like Chucky!!

Actually, I'd probably prefer clown-paint. :twisted:
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 22 Oct 2014 00:37

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Oct 2014 00:59

nesgirl wrote:Good thing I am going to just hide in the bathroom when that happens (I am not @#$##ing myself when I die). Also, I am not having a funeral. Funerals suck, as they give people the excuse to cry over you, which is unnecessary. No I'll let the doctors give my parts away instead, then burn the rest of me, and use the ashes of what they burned to fertilize the plants (ashes actually make really rich plant fertilizer).

Nice! I really don't understand funerals either. Mostly because they are a religious practice. Especially if you're a Christian. Because in my experience, most Christians say, "Well, she's in heaven, dinin' with Jesus now. We'll see her again, someday." So ... I really have never understood why Christians morn at all. They should always be super happy when someone dies--because either some Godless, sinning monster is now in hell as he deserves, or a believer is in heaven as he deserves. Even back when I was a Christian, whenever I attended funerals, I just sort of looked around, a bit confused. I remember just looking at my sobbing parents and knowing they were being ignorant even of their own beliefs. :lol:

However, when I die, the world will forget me. They'll probably forget all of you, too. So I like to take minimal comfort in the fact that at least some members of my family and friends will attend my funeral and remember my existence and experiences ... at least for a little while. But then they'll die and forget. And maybe the next generations will be ruffling through old photographs in the attic or old computer records and briefly come across some remnant of my long-gone life and perhaps they'll give it a quick glance before tossing it aside and continuing the search for what they really wanted.
I think it's reasonable to attend funerals and remember people--just remember them, and think about them--for a little while. In the end, that's all you can really do for people.
Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”