Waking life

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
buildit

Waking life

Postby buildit » 23 Oct 2014 05:14

Upon the advice of several people here I watched Waking Life. It was interesting for a while but after a bit it became rhetorical basically saying the same thing if sound bites many ways. At least that was my feeling. It represented the conflict between the sleeping and waking life that we all confront as ego defies the Id.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Re: Waking life

Postby nesgirl » 23 Oct 2014 05:58

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Oct 2014 23:19

You won't get a Hollywood-Cookie-Cut recommendation from me. (I was the one who recommended it to buildit by the way) 8-)

It has no answers; It only has questions. I think it takes a certain type of person to enjoy it and I can assure you it's not a favorite by the mass populous who enjoy Michael Bay explosions and the dynamic plot twists of Transformers simply because it made enough money to be labeled a 'blockbuster'. I know you are not like that, but just saying it's a polar opposite of your 'typical' movie. You must agree on that at least!

I like this review of it, and it speaks for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3u6LVHlGTk
(It acknowledges that some scenes are complete nonsense.... or are they? Up to you. Much like interpreting dreams.....)

But no matter if you like it or not, I still think about it constantly. I like the Boat-Cab driver toward the beginning. "This is my window to the world. I may not like it, but I accept it. We're in motion to the ocean!"
(I paraphrased that from memory).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 24 Oct 2014 00:24

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Oct 2014 01:02

Love it or hate it, it's certainly a piece of work. (The same can be said about people)

It's an artsy-fartsy film. I also Like "Bad Grandpa" which also contains many farts and is a piece of work. I'm not a multimedia designer, but I do appreciate the arts, and I have an eclectic taste! (I only bring that movie up for comical comparison) :lol:

You won't find the meaning of life in either.... or can you?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 24 Oct 2014 01:27

I like Dreamscape, like I said earlier (except for that one scene), that's probably one of my very favorites. And it is really a shame they never released that one on DVD, that one was fun, and it involved a lot of fantasy, facts about Lucid Dream control, and science fiction.

The fantasy graphics for when they were inside each other's dreams was just amazing. And I really liked when they were learning to control them.
Goodbye forever...

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Oct 2014 01:39

HAGART wrote:Love it or hate it, it's certainly a piece of work. (The same can be said about people)

True, I just felt as if the commentary was redundant and wanted some sort of an epiphany from the main character to justify his journey.

As for Dream Scape it was cool to watch 20+ years ago but other than the "idea" is sort of sad today. :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Oct 2014 02:29

There was no climax. I agree, it's ultimately a disappointing 'story'. (If it had a story).

It's just a bunch of stuff that happens with no point. Like a Seinfeld plot, but deeper, but also just as enjoyable.

Did you buy it? Hold on to it. You will probably watch it again one day. It's one of those kinds of movies. Just like songs, we don't always like them the first time but then after a while they grow on you and become classics.

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Oct 2014 03:02

HAGART wrote:Did you buy it? Hold on to it. You will probably watch it again one day. It's one of those kinds of movies. Just like songs, we don't always like them the first time but then after a while they grow on you and become classics.

No, I watched it online after letting it download for hours. :lol: Couldn't find it in stores so it seemed the easy way to see it. ;)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Oct 2014 04:06

So who are you to complain! :lol:
"I didn't like this free thing I saw and wonder why I watched it for free".
"If only I could get that waste of a time I call my free life back...." ;)

( I have to laugh and will never feel bad for recommending it to you, love it or hate it! ) 8-)

I like the chimpanzee scene where he is running the projector and then eats the script at the end... so many great moments! :ugeek:

Return to “Off-Topic”