Unusual type of dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Annie147

Unusual type of dreams

Postby Annie147 » 23 Oct 2014 17:58

Hi, I'm kind of new here, and I wasn't sure where to write - so I've started a new topic. I hope there are others who exprience the same kind of dreams.
I have a lot of what I call 'not my perspective' dreams in which I have no dream body - it feels like watching a movie, or maybe like being literally inside a movie. It's not like I'm inside someone else's body - I am a bodyless observer. This dreams do not bother me, but recently I analysed my dream journal to improve my reality checks, and I figured out how to use most of the reoccuring themes, but I have no idea what to do with these dreams. I've never had a lucid dream that would start with a 'not my perspective' dream, and I feel like I'm missing an opportunity here, cause they make up almost a third of my dreams.

Does anyone have the same type of dreams, and can someone advise me on this? Is there anything I can do to use these dreams to trigger lucidity? It seems to be quite a challenge, cause being a bodyless observer is not something that ever happens in waking life. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

buildit

Re: Unusual type of dreams

Postby buildit » 23 Oct 2014 20:27

Yeah, I have them but consider it to be like watching TV. I'm not there but exist elsewhere so I feel sort of removed from what is going on. Usually my interaction is limited to changing my perspective around what is going on or stopping, rewinding or fast forwarding the events. My biggest trigger for this type of dream is developing empathy for one of the dream characters where I either don't want them hurt or want to hurt the antagonist. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 24 Oct 2014 00:52

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Annie147

Postby Annie147 » 24 Oct 2014 14:38

The thing is - I've had them for years, I suppose - long before I even started on lucid dreaming. I noticed I have a lot of them when I started on my dream journal, and I've never had such experience while being lucid - all my sudden 'it's a dream!' realizations come from dreams where I am myself. The emphaty thing is a good idea, though I've never felt anything towards dream characters I see in those dreams. And in fact I kind of understand where it comes from - sometimes I watch movies on my laptop with switched off light so everything I see and hear is the movie. I started paying attention to my body, particullary to my hands, and doing more reality checks during watching, but it doesn't help. Any ideas how to highten awarenes during such dreams? Because I am kind of attentive during normal dreams, I rarely miss really weird things, so I have at least one dild every week, but whatever happens in those 'bodyless' dreams, I don't ever notice. Maybe because I think any weird thing can happen in a movie :D

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Oct 2014 22:32

Annie147 wrote:The emphaty thing is a good idea, though I've never felt anything towards dream characters I see in those dreams. And in fact I kind of understand where it comes from....

I find if I'm emotionally involved in what is happening it is easier to push for control, where if I am watching like it's a movie I don't have a vested interest and don't have a reason to become involved. Eh, it's worth the try. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 27 Oct 2014 06:26

Annie147 wrote:The thing is - I've had them for years, I suppose - long before I even started on lucid dreaming. I noticed I have a lot of them when I started on my dream journal, and I've never had such experience while being lucid - all my sudden 'it's a dream!' realizations come from dreams where I am myself. The emphaty thing is a good idea, though I've never felt anything towards dream characters I see in those dreams. And in fact I kind of understand where it comes from - sometimes I watch movies on my laptop with switched off light so everything I see and hear is the movie. I started paying attention to my body, particullary to my hands, and doing more reality checks during watching, but it doesn't help. Any ideas how to highten awarenes during such dreams? Because I am kind of attentive during normal dreams, I rarely miss really weird things, so I have at least one dild every week, but whatever happens in those 'bodyless' dreams, I don't ever notice. Maybe because I think any weird thing can happen in a movie :D

Its interesting you've never developed empathetic feelings toward dream characters. I have very often had strong emotional feelings toward a dream character or events that happened in a dream that bring a realization to me. Its not like I literally love my dcs but emotions could almost be described in some lds as stronger emotional feelings than real life offers. Idk though that's just an opinion

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Annie147

Postby Annie147 » 27 Oct 2014 22:42

Well no, I do have emphaty for other dream characters - but not in those 'not my perspective' dreams. They are weird, I mean I don't even think in them like I usually do in dreams - in fact I don't recall ever forming an opinion about what I see in those dreams. Whatever happens in them just passes by. That's why I have so much trouble analysing them and realising I'm dreaming when I have them, and that's why I asked the experts :) i kinda hoped someone will relate to this thing, but now I feel sort of special (or weird).

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 28 Oct 2014 00:36

Reality checks are not just somatic like looking at your hands, feeling your nose or looking in a mirror they're also simple questions such as: "how did I get here?"; where was I last"; "What's the weather?". Once with a RC is just trying to engage and more fully become conscious, if one succeeds one becomes conscious. You could even ask "where's my body" or be really evil and possess some dream character :D
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 28 Oct 2014 01:37

Your not wierd, I believe and not sure I'll prove in my life time, that dreaming is a study and science completely separate from others. There is a lot about dreams that's undiscovered I believe. So one cannot think themselves weird for being more aware of the world around them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

buildit

Postby buildit » 28 Oct 2014 01:54

dreamstudent wrote:Your not wierd, I believe and not sure I'll prove in my life time, that dreaming is a study and science completely separate from others. There is a lot about dreams that's undiscovered I believe. So one cannot think themselves weird for being more aware of the world around them.

Whatever you weirdo. :lol: Like must sciences I think it's a melding of many disciplines. Probably organic chemistry, physics, micro biology, physiology, psychology and more than likely math. ;)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”