Hey-la!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
nowhere_girl

Hey-la!

Postby nowhere_girl » 08 Feb 2012 01:08

Hi all! Seeing as I'm brand new here I said it's probably best to introduce myself here before I dive in..

My name's Cliona, I'm Irish and 18. I like to think I'm a fairly introspective kind of a person, though I'm probably nothing compared to the members here! My main hobbies (when I'm not laden down with school work) are Tae Kwon Do, reading, writing, gaming and playing the guitar :)

I found this forum about two weeks ago by chance after a rather strange dream about meeting God compelled me to search for a meaning. Through following link after link I wound up here! Since I found it I've just been reading and reading the articles on the blog over and over, completely fascinated, until I finally mustered up the confidence to join the forum! I had heard about the concept of Lucid Dreaming before this but never really thought much about it other than "That must be pretty cool"...

After realising that it is an attainable skill, I've decided to try and work myself up to having at least one LD. (The first night after finding this site, I remember twice having the sensation of a train of realisation and excitement hitting me, though I don't even remember what I was dreaming.. I think it was more dreaming about having a Lucid Dream).. I don't think I've ever had one before and so it's pretty much a whole new experience for me..

I thought perhaps the most basic thing to do for me was to start keeping a journal with the aim of first improving my dream recall.. so far it's working pretty okay. Once I've a decent repertoire of dreams I plan to analyse the ones I've written and try to make points about recurring themes, events, etc.. I can then practise Reality Checks tailored to my own dreams is my thinking..

I would jump striaght in and try the WBTB method of inducing lucid dreams but unfortunately once I to wake up I tend to be awake for a fairly long time. As I'm in my final year of school (*cough important exams cough*) I just can't afford to try it during the week and I always find an excuse not to at the weekends ;) Not the best dedication I know but still :roll:

I just have one or two questions though about sleep/dreams/induction techniques that I think should work in theory...

1) A myth I literally just heard: Apparently the average human dream only lasts a few seconds. I'm not sure how true this is though. Just wondering about others' thoughts?

2) In most of my dreams, I will be in one place (A) with the intention of going somewhere else (B) and suddenly I end up there, almost like a "CUT TO:" in a television show script. Is this just my way of transitioning from one place to another, or is this tho separate dreams, one picking up where the other left off from? Any ideas? It's more out of curiosity than anything..

3) As a part of P.E. in school, our secretary (also a qualified Yoga instructor) took us through some Yoga and breathwork and such. One such breathwork was called the humming bee I think, and basically you block your ears and hum at whatever pitch feels right for you. Eventually, it quietens your mind and induces focus and relaxation. To my mind, this sounds like the exact same kind of freqency as brainwave entrainment.. Do you think it might work as a form of brainwave entrainment??

and if you've made it to the end of what looks like it might be a colossal post, thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

Snaggle

Re: Hey-la!

Postby Snaggle » 08 Feb 2012 01:38

nowhere_girl wrote:Hi all!

You say "hi" in Ireland- interesting.
nowhere_girl wrote:
1) A myth I literally just heard: Apparently the average human dream only lasts a few seconds. I'm not sure how true this is though. Just wondering about others' thoughts?

Clearly a myth, most people can only stay lucid for 2-5 minutes, but dream including lucid ones can last hours-great if you're in control really really sucks if you're in an emotionally intense nightmare with lucidity and no control.

nowhere_girl wrote:2) In most of my dreams, I will be in one place (A) with the intention of going somewhere else (B) and suddenly I end up there, almost like a "CUT TO:" in a television show script. Is this just my way of transitioning from one place to another, or is this tho separate dreams, one picking up where the other left off from? Any ideas? It's more out of curiosity than anything..

This is a primitive form of dream control.

nowhere_girl wrote:3) As a part of P.E. in school, our secretary (also a qualified Yoga instructor) took us through some Yoga and breathwork and such. One such breathwork was called the humming bee I think, and basically you block your ears and hum at whatever pitch feels right for you. Eventually, it quietens your mind and induces focus and relaxation. To my mind, this sounds like the exact same kind of freqency as brainwave entrainment.. Do you think it might work as a form of brainwave entrainment??

I have no idea, why don't you tell me when you've tried it.
Last edited by Snaggle on 08 Feb 2012 06:57, edited 2 times in total.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

R99

Postby R99 » 08 Feb 2012 05:29

Welcome to the group. Enjoy the journy to the LD dream. And enjoy beeing in it too.
I see the Truth now.

nowhere_girl

Postby nowhere_girl » 08 Feb 2012 10:11

Snaggle wrote:
nowhere_girl wrote:Hi all!

You say "hi" in Ireland- interesting.

Yup, we also say "hey" too :P and some I don't know what slang, like "Sca?" and "Story?" :P

Snaggle wrote:
nowhere_girl wrote:2) In most of my dreams, I will be in one place (A) with the intention of going somewhere else (B) and suddenly I end up there, almost like a "CUT TO:" in a television show script. Is this just my way of transitioning from one place to another, or is this tho separate dreams, one picking up where the other left off from? Any ideas? It's more out of curiosity than anything..

This is a primitive form of dream control.

Is it still dream control when I've never had that "oh Hey I'm dreaming!" moment? Like, it's my dream self's intention and it still follows the dream soundly.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 09 Feb 2012 02:04

Cliona dream control and Lucidity are separate. One can have the dream master dreams where everything is controlled by you, as you have all powerful magic, alternately one can be entirely lucid and not have any control at all, both of these are abnormal, more usually in dreams one is like the early DR Who (I'm think of Tom Baker), whose tardis mainly went where he wanted it, but not always.

That's cool about "hi". in America only Yankees use "hi", southerners use "hello" and the inbetweens use "howdy".
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Feb 2012 00:48

Welcome to the group.

nowhere_girl wrote:I think it was more dreaming about having a Lucid Dream).. I don't think I've ever had one before and so it's pretty much a whole new experience for me..

I've been having dreams about lucid dreaming lately, but they are quite different than actual lucid dreams. In the lucid dreams I've had it's like waking up and experiencing normal waking life, complete with all the senses, a complete solid, 3D color world in high definition with gravity, etc. Only when you look closely can you tell the difference. I read about it before experiencing it and never was able to really imagine what it was like until experincing it. It's really amazing.

nowhere_girl wrote:I thought perhaps the most basic thing to do for me was to start keeping a journal with the aim of first improving my dream recall.. so far it's working pretty okay. Once I've a decent repertoire of dreams I plan to analyse the ones I've written and try to make points about recurring themes, events, etc.. I can then practise Reality Checks tailored to my own dreams is my thinking..

Good plan, this is pretty much the recommended course of action.

nowhere_girl wrote: In most of my dreams, I will be in one place (A) with the intention of going somewhere else (B) and suddenly I end up there, almost like a "CUT TO:" in a television show script. Is this just my way of transitioning from one place to another, or is this tho separate dreams, one picking up where the other left off from? Any ideas? It's more out of curiosity than anything..

I think this is fairly common in dreams, at least in mine. While doing the WILD method, I've had dreams just snap into being, I call it a "screen change". It's pretty amazing when you snap right into a full lucid dream.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

nowhere_girl

Postby nowhere_girl » 11 Feb 2012 12:29

Snaggle wrote:Cliona dream control and Lucidity are separate. One can have the dream master dreams where everything is controlled by you, as you have all powerful magic, alternately one can be entirely lucid and not have any control at all, both of these are abnormal, more usually in dreams one is like the early DR Who (I'm think of Tom Baker), whose tardis mainly went where he wanted it, but not always.

Aah okay I was just making sure...

lucidinthesky wrote: I've been having dreams about lucid dreaming lately, but they are quite different than actual lucid dreams. In the lucid dreams I've had it's like waking up and experiencing normal waking life, complete with all the senses, a complete solid, 3D color world in high definition with gravity, etc. Only when you look closely can you tell the difference. I read about it before experiencing it and never was able to really imagine what it was like until experincing it. It's really amazing.

So basically I'll definitely know an LD when it hits me! ;) I hope so, and now that I've literally just come onto my midterm I plan to try the WBTB method and see if it works for me :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Feb 2012 23:32

Hi and welcome, some good replies to your questions and you will start to see that we are the same but a little different as well,

Keep a journel as they are fun to write, great to read and will help in lots of ways

Cut and paste - pretty much how it works

Yoga etc - not for me but yes for a lot of others

So please post, ask away and enjoy the trip

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

James

Postby James » 12 Feb 2012 22:09

Snaggle wrote:That's cool about "hi". in America only Yankees use "hi", southerners use "hello" and the inbetweens use "howdy".

In britain hi is a more imformal form of hello, so is hey. For example in french bonjour = hello, whereas salut = hi/hey
Howdy sounds like a cowboy to me...
Was it worth it?

Return to “For Beginners”