Reality checking routine

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
tompine73

Reality checking routine

Postby tompine73 » 18 Oct 2014 17:10

I have yet to see something in normal life which I could consider a bit dreamlike to make me carry out a reality test. So instead I have just got into the habit of carrying out random reality checks.

The literature tends to say to do more than one reality check at a time. What I tend to do is read and then reread text and then try to breathe through my pinched nose. By reality checking I’ve obviously stopped doing whatever I was doing and so in this more “in the moment” state I tend to look around, remember what I had for breakfast and maybe push my hand into something solid to see if it would go through, so even more reality checks.

Can some people tell me what their reality checking routines are, and how long they take?

And do people find themselves doing reality checks in dreams which makes them realise they are dreaming or do they do the reality check when they already think they might be dreaming? As I have yet to remember myself doing a reality check whether successful or not in a dream.

Kman43759

Re: Reality checking routine

Postby Kman43759 » 19 Oct 2014 23:19

I usually do a reality check every 10-20 mins randomly, I find trying to breath while pinching your nose really works, but you should try different ones to see which one is best for you, and then stick to that one. When I do a reality check I also like to do more than just pinch my nose and breath, I always ask myself where I am and how I got here

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

tompine73

Postby tompine73 » 20 Oct 2014 11:24

Thanks, and then do you find yourself randomly trying to breathe through a pinched nose in your dreams?

Kman43759

Postby Kman43759 » 20 Oct 2014 20:04

Well basically, when you reality check enough you will actually be SO used to doing reality checks and questioning your surroundings that you will start doing them in your dreams. But sometimes I dont even reality check in my dreams yet I will know im dreaming
Hope this helped, if theres any other questions you have about RC's ill answer them

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

emberfire012

Postby emberfire012 » 28 Oct 2014 03:22

Whatever reality checking routine that works for you, go for it! I usually reality check in real life every once in a while, but sometimes during dreams, I will realize something is out of place and do a random reality check even though I almost never do them in real life.
Also, some reality checks work better for me than others. The two that work for me the most is to see if I can push my finger through my palm and I also count my fingers and study my hand during this process. If my hand doesn't look normal, then chances are it's a dream! Don't be afraid to experiment!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

tompine73

Postby tompine73 » 30 Oct 2014 14:24

Thanks, all good stuff.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Nov 2014 10:37

I dont really tend to do reality checking... umm well I do but its so rare that I may as well say I dont do it. I only ever do it if something very weird is happening, on the off chance that maybe I are in a dream.

Pinching my nose and trying to breath, for myself doesnt work as a reality check as I cant breath like that anyway when Im lucid dreaming (my logical mind gets in the way to much of my dream).

My favourite reality check is just to look at my hands (Ive found they can appear extremely interesting if Im in dream, see my picture, or sometimes I have extra fingers, fused fingers or even plants growing out of my fingers).. and try to push a finger throu them, or jump and try to touch my ceiling (I havent became lucid throu that last thing so I still dont know yet if that one would work for me or not). Another one Ive done in a dream before is to look at a clock, check the time then look away and then look back to see if its changed in ways it shouldnt have done (Ive found that can work well).

Anyway, everyone does best with different reality checks and what dont work for me may well work well for you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

tompine73

Postby tompine73 » 05 Nov 2014 13:24

taniaaust1 wrote:
Anyway, everyone does best with different reality checks and what dont work for me may well work well for you.

I have only ever done one reality check in a dream. I was floating over my bed (and was pretty sure I was dreaming) and managed to push one hand through the other one. It was the start of a very short but nevertheless what was definitely a lucid dream.

I have quite a disconnect between my waking life and dream life, the only thing in common is lying in bed in that I have dreamt about lying in bed a few times and it is obviously something that I also do in waking life.

I know you (tania) have mentioned going through into your bathroom as a common theme before. Should I really concentrate on reality checking while in bed rather than at other times? And possibly just do the hand push reality check while genuinely questioning whether I am dreaming or not.

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Nov 2014 21:20

I dont bother much with reality checks but they do work.
All you need to do is create the habit of checking, what you do is not important but creating a habit is.

At worst set an alarm on watch of phone for about 45 minutes and each time it goes just look, smell, feel or if eating taste.
Pause for a few seconds to get your senses involved.
Why they work is that if you create a habit odds are you will check during the night when sleeping, when you become aware of this check will be during a REM phase and we get to that state around every 90 minutes so at some point you will click.

After a few days you will not need the alarm to check and that is when you have got it.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Nov 2014 10:01

tompine73 wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:

I have only ever done one reality check in a dream. I was floating over my bed (and was pretty sure I was dreaming) and managed to push one hand through the other one. It was the start of a very short but nevertheless what was definitely a lucid dream.

I have quite a disconnect between my waking life and dream life, the only thing in common is lying in bed in that I have dreamt about lying in bed a few times and it is obviously something that I also do in waking life.

I know you (tania) have mentioned going through into your bathroom as a common theme before. Should I really concentrate on reality checking while in bed rather than at other times? And possibly just do the hand push reality check while genuinely questioning whether I am dreaming or not.

Reality checking every time you find yourself going to bed or waking up in bed, would probably be a good idea in your case.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”