Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Oct 2014 23:39

nesgirl wrote:The reason why I got upset earlier is that I got reported by several, and a user threatened to have me permanently banned yesterday, which led me to believe I was going to get kicked off.
I am a bit nervous of saying anything anymore like I said, because I am afraid that user is just going to report me again. Either I am going to have to change my arguments somehow so I don't get into trouble or I am going to have issues.

Well, just stop needlessly attacking people then. Outside of debate and those sorts of things, of course. My advice as far as revising your arguments is to avoid (at all costs) being reactionary or emotional. If you're going to make an assault on someone, try to make a serious argument, rather than being heated or spontaneous. It's okay to be passionate and satirical, but keep it as refined as you can.
I must say, it often is difficult to have respect for you and your thoughts. Because you so often have no respect for others'. I read what you said on "1000 things to do in a lucid dream." Those sorts of things are uncalled for, nesgirl. It's why people get angry, that's all. I don't particularly blame them.
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 31 Oct 2014 01:22

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 31 Oct 2014 02:36

Women have the privilige of feeling close to the unborn. Us men will never understand the experience. Despite the pain, many women feel broody, love being pregnant, and can even miss it!

Wanna know who the real victims are? Muslim women who are treated like chattel. Try to go to Iraq and see it for yourself. They are beaten, raped, and murdered in the name of God.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 31 Oct 2014 03:03

Great article:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/magazine/theo-padnos-american-journalist-on-being-kidnapped-tortured-and-released-in-syria.html?referrer=

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 31 Oct 2014 04:51

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Nov 2014 16:59

@ deschainXIX:

Great article, deschainXIX! Very interesting and pertinent to the topic. I love what journalists who have been out there (Middle East) have to say. That's why I enjoyed Christopher Hitchens's memoir so much. He went to Iraq and Syria and met the Kurds, too. Islamists nearly killed him! There is a sense of adventure there. Padnos reminds me of a less secular Hitchens in that sense. This stood out for me:

“Allah has created me a Christian,” I would say. “It’s not my fault.” They offered their counterarguments: “If you were to die as an unbeliever today, Allah would refuse to admit you into heaven.”

- Theo Padnos

One of the many problems with religion besides the belief in a supernatural almighty creator is the assertion by some that they know the mind of God and therefore know exactly what He wants. Thomas Paine warned us about this nearly three hundred years ago in "The Age of Reason." I had a similar argument with a Muslim where I work. Our conversation went something like this:

Shabir: "What religion are you?"

Me: "None. I was born into Catholicism but I don't follow it."

Shabir: "Christians are okay, but you should convert to Islam while you still can."

Me: "I am not religious and I don't believe in God."

Shabir: "My friend, I urge you to join Islam or you will burn in hell for eternity when you die."

Me: "There is no hell. When you die, that's it."

Shabir: "You are wrong. When you die you will see, and then I will be there to tell you 'I told you so!'"

Me: "There is no evidence for the existence of Allah..."

Shabir: "What!? Look at the signs!"

Me: "What signs?"

Shabir: "Look at the stars, the moon, the fish..."

Me: "Stars have existed long before us and where not made for us to look at. The moon is a dead world and a waste of one, too. It just shows the slapdash manner of our universe. No intelligent design behind nature. Fish evolved into what they look like today..."

Shabir: "You fail to recognise the signs. Instead you heed that asshole Darwin. Allah will not forgive you. I am trying to save your soul."

Me: "If I am wrong and there is a God then He should pardon me in the afterlife when I honestly tell Him that the so-called evidence was not strong enough and His message was weak and incoherent. He'll find me more honourable than the blind believers. Otherwise, He is not worth worshipping."

Shabir: "You will burn for that. I tried."

Me: "No I won't. Have a good day, sir."

The Nusra Front have taken control of Deir al-Zour but it looks like ISIS is their enemy, too. Meanwhile, Peshmerga, an Iraqi Kurdish force who once helped the United States against Saddam Hussein and captured Hassan Ghul (Bin Laden's messenger), have entered Kobani to fight against the Islamic State. President Erdogan of Turkey does not approve of Turkish Kurds joining the fight.

@ nesgirl:

Although you admit that I was correct in what I said in that thread about being female and becoming pregnant, although I am going to admit that I got way too extreme and negative in that thread. I probably said what I said, because of what I saw my sister go through, who like me, has hypotension and went through so much, it worried the rest of us (when the levels of hypotension get really low, you suffer really horrible side effects).

But you must understand that you cannot speak for the majority and your sister is one amongst millions! If you have never been pregnant then you really have nothing to say generically speaking. And pregnancies differ too. Some are good, some are bad. I think you have a tendency to see things in black and white...

PS I edited my post to make a bit more sense in that thread so it wasn't too mean.
Not all females enjoy that. There are some psychopathic/homicidal females who actually kill their unborn children, or will kill them/abandon them when they are born (I actually saw a story on that on the news recently, and was shocked about that).

They are not the majority. There are a lot more deaths on the road. Should driving be banned because of that? Does the incompetency of one individual speak for the rest?

It isn't just in Iraq that happens. Watch the news and see for yourself. It actually happens all the time in the communities (however not in the name of religion), or sometimes in the home. This is why children are sometimes taken away from the home and put into foster care.

I know it isn't just Iraq but the situation out there is quite bad and it is relevant to the topic. I also feel that too many people criticise the Western way of life and not enough speak against the atrocities in the Middle East because of ideology. Everyone is free to criticise the West without having to fear for their lives but the same cannot be said when individuals speak for women's rights in Islam. Even Salman Rushdie had to go through hell after having published his "Satanic Verses." The Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa against him calling for his murder!! And what about the Danish cartoons! I just think that, before we start criticising our minor errors (by comparison), we should really deal with the bad stuff on the other side!

Oh and if you want a real religion that actually rapes, abuses, and takes advantage of underage females, why not look up the Fundamentalists? Now there's a sick religion. They can marry out females as young as 8, and often marry out teenagers. Good thing where I lived they had the guts to outlaw that religion's practice completely.

You are talking about a Christian faction that opposes reformed groups such as Protestants, right? But there is also Islamic fundamentalism. Wahhabi Muslims believe in marrying underage girls, too. Islam's prophet is a paedophile so what do you expect? We have also touched upon such crimes in Mormonism earlier, remember? ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 01 Nov 2014 18:10

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Nov 2014 00:07

nesgirl wrote:For some people, it is just better off for them that they don't have children due to health and mental issues.

Absolutely!

I think that drinking and driving should be banned obviously. And if a person commits homicide while drunk, they should lose their drinking privileges. Same goes for children. If someone tries to kill the youth, then they should lose their right to have children, i.e. sterilization meds.

Drinking has the potential to generally impair our judgement. It causes imbalance. So yeah, drink-driving is not a good idea.

Both are really bad. If you think about it

One is worse than the other.

I can believe that, and it is sick and wrong.
Well it isn't just them, there is this literal fundamentalist church led by this sick man named Warren Jeffs (despite the fact he has been sentenced for double life in prison), who trapped women and girls in his house and was abusing and raping them. They literally had to be rescued by the government, and some are still being treated at an abused shelter, while a few have been placed in foster homes (some were only 8 or 13 years old). And this sick man keeps saying he's going to summon plagues and natural disasters on everyone and killing them (I don't think Islam ever mentioned summoning natural disasters, he's obviously delusional). That religion he leads, the men do that nearly all the time, and the government has to find where they are hiding and located, then arrest the men, and rescue the captive females.

You are going to love this video about dangerous memes and ideas. There is a brilliant analogical twist here and Daniel Dennett is funny. Islam is like a parasite in the brains of human beings (deschainXIX, you will love this too): :lol:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_dennett_on_dangerous_memes

I wonder if by any chance that if in fact at this point there is a chance ANY country or ANY part of a country suffered a very horrible natural disaster, that Iraq wouldn't try to step in there, and conquer that area of the country while they had a chance, since their goal at this point is world domination. Utah may very well be one of the first places they may try to conquer if it suffers an Earthquake (A religious country would never hesitate to kill another religious place while they are vulnerable).

It does seem like Islamists take advantage of chaos, be it environmental or political. The situation in Syria, for instance, was precarious with Assad before ISIL got there. In Britain, Christians enjoyed fear-mongering about wrathful Yahweh when we had the floods. For them the explanation was not a meteorological or marine one. Science had no say. The lord obviously punished us because there are homosexuals living among us still. :roll:

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 02 Nov 2014 00:42

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Nov 2014 17:41

Some people would even consider murder if they were drunk, not just drive. This is why you have to be very careful.

I would consider homicide sober! :lol:

...Utah would suffer greatly, and those who are handicapped would suffer a horrible fate because Iraq already kills/tortures their handicapped citizens. And remember how I said most religions hate Multimedia to begin with?

Iraq is still very much a backwards nation and it will take a lot for them to reach our level of civility. Even the Kurds, especially Yazidis, adhere to barbaric rules such as honour killings. But you have nothing to worry about in Utah, nesgirl. Only 1% of the population in the States are Muslim. In the UK, we have 5%. In France, 8%. And remember, our European countries are smaller...

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”