The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Worldenterer1

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby Worldenterer1 » 05 Nov 2014 03:18

@deschainXIX

Thank you for the empathy, and I will definitely look into those works by Harris. (Harris is cool) 8-)

deschainXIX wrote:It is the recognition that such concepts as the “future” or the “past” are nothing more than thoughts. They are nonexistent.

The only thing we can know for certain is the present moment. And that is where we must live. We must learn to be content with mere existence and sensation. We can enjoy no aspect of our lives if we are constantly cluttering our minds with thoughts that it will all one day end. When eating a delicious, perfect meal, you probably aren’t thinking to yourself that it will be over soon, and that perfect taste nothing more than a memory. Probably you only sit there, thinking not much at all, simply enjoying the sensations and pleasures of that meal. That’s the sort of attitude we must exercise throughout our lives with if we want happiness.

That sounds like a good idea, and I've tried it too. It's just as if the thought of death is a cancer of the mind, and I can't get rid of it. "An idea is the most resilient parasite."
Also, what you've said reminds me of one of my favorite quotes!
"Remember the past, and fear not the future, for it does not exist and never will. There is only now."

deschainXIX wrote:I, for one, like the idea of falling into a depthless sleep of oblivion forever.

Oh my goodness, that scares me lol.

deschainXIX wrote:In response to your second paragraph:
I think it wouldn’t be like anything. When you fall asleep at night, you never really feel or can remember what it is like to slip off into subconsciousness. It just happens. No one really knows or can relate what it’s like. Dying is probably like that. It just … happens.

Yeah, I've read some people's explanations of what it feels like to die when they were clinically pronounced dead for some time but came back. One guy said it felt like blackness was closing in and his senses were becoming weaker. He then remembers being awake and feeling very confused. He said he didn't even notice that he died, and never would have if he hadn't come back.
What makes me so unsettled about the whole dying this is just the whole feeling of how he never would've known it happened. Idk why that bothers me so much. :?
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2014 18:29

Thanatophobia is common. In some sense it can be said to be irrational but we all have it to different degrees and hold different reasons for that fear. Some reasons appear more altruistic than others, but, ultimately, ego is the problem. Ego obdurately holds on. We fear the unknown. We want to live longer to see what will happen in the future. We want to be alive for as long as possible so that our loved ones don't suffer. We feel like we'd miss out on so much if we were to die now. And yet, there is so much that we have missed already prior to our birth.

The religious (Judaism/Christianity/Islam) have their belief in the afterlife for comfort, whether they admit it, or know it, or not. The atheist does not have that comfort. In fact, some atheists are glad that there is no evidence for an afterlife because they imagine an eternity of consciousness to be hell. The fact that neuroscience denotes the posthumous survival of consciousness to be exceedingly improbable is their comfort to some degree. It is the end of all suffering and all problems. But they can still fear death. Some find acceptance of the epiphenomenal nature of consciousness and the illusion of self through meditation. Self-transcendence can be an awesome experience and the meditator may come to believe that the non-existence of souls is the best possible scenario. But can the fear of death persuade an atheist to become religious (again, in some cases)? Can an unbeliever become a believer in God and surrender to blind faith because he or she wants the heavenly afterlife? Are they being honest with us and themselves? Here is an interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKdZT7r2-RY
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 05 Nov 2014 21:04

@Summerlander

Summerlander wrote:We fear the unknown. We want to live longer to see what will happen in the future. We want to be alive for as long as possible so that our loved ones don't suffer. We feel like we'd miss out on so much if we were to die now. And yet, there is so much that we have missed already prior to our birth.

Summerlander wrote:The religious (Judaism/Christianity/Islam) have their belief in the afterlife for comfort, whether they admit it, or know it, or not. The atheist does not have that comfort. In fact, some atheists are glad that there is no evidence for an afterlife because they imagine an eternity of consciousness to be hell. The fact that neuroscience denotes the posthumous survival of consciousness to be exceedims.ngly improbable is their comfort to some degree. It is the end of all suffering and all proble But they can still fear death. Some find acceptance of the epiphenomenal nature of consciousness and the illusion of self through meditation. Self-transcendence can be an awesome experience and the meditator may come to believe that the non-existence of souls is the best possible scenario. But can the fear of death persuade an atheist to become religious (again, in some cases)? Can an unbeliever become a believer in God and surrender to blind faith because he or she wants the heavenly afterlife? Are they being honest with us and themselves?

Personally, I'm glad there's no evidence for an afterlife. The thought of eternal consciousness scares me even more than eternal unconsciousness. The infinite void of death irks me, but I know ya just gotta do it.

(Great video btw! Gotta love hitch! :lol: )

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2014 21:19

LOL! Those illustrations sum it up! :lol:

Yes, the Hitch hitchslapped the fuck out of McGrath. When the moderator suggested there were grounds for agreement I just loved it when the Hitch replied: "I'm not in the mood, baby..." :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 05 Nov 2014 21:20

Summerlander wrote:LOL! Those illustrations sum it up! :lol:

Yes, the Hitch hitchslapped the fuck out of McGrath. When the moderator suggested there were grounds for agreement I just loved it when the Hitch replied: "I'm not in the mood, baby..." :D

PSSSHHH! No spoilers! :lol:
I'm about 20 min in!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2014 21:24

Oh shit! Sorry! :P

Well, you can trust the Hitch to leave you in stitches... :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 06 Nov 2014 00:05

An excellent debate! :D

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Nov 2014 00:17

Indeed. These videos make me dejected that he's not around anymore.
Well said.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 06 Nov 2014 01:58

"I wish I would've met you. Now it's a little late." :(

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Nov 2014 06:52

I caught up and read it all. Most people don't know how hard it is to be atheist and think about not-thinking anymore. We don't have a magic book to give us answers so it's actually a very hard life for us. But it doesn't mean we can't be 'spiritual' and think about thought and be metacoginitive, question thought, question emotion and dig deep. But you don't need a 'guru' wearing an orange jump suit, sitting in a lotus position meditating to find that.

DeschainXIX wrote:The only thing we can know for certain is the present moment. And that is where we must live. We must learn to be content with mere existence and sensation. We can enjoy no aspect of our lives if we are constantly cluttering our minds with thoughts that it will all one day end. When eating a delicious, perfect meal, you probably aren’t thinking to yourself that it will be over soon, and that perfect taste nothing more than a memory. Probably you only sit there, thinking not much at all, simply enjoying the sensations and pleasures of that meal. That’s the sort of attitude we must exercise throughout our lives with if we want happiness.

You can either hear it from DeschainXIX, a sentient dog that has a gift of the English language and somehow mashes out words on a keyboard with his paw, or you can learn from my own guru! MY OWN PET DOG! Read that quote above and realize that dogs are the most connected with themselves and icons of spirituality and meditation that we humans lack and struggle to achieve. They live in the present and do all that, WITHOUT BELIEF (they are atheist), and don't think much about the future or dwell on the past and enjoy their meal when they get it. They are more of a spiritual leader than the Dalai Lama!

To sum it up, maybe we think TOO MUCH, and that's the problem when it comes to achieving ultimate contentedness within ourselves and all we perceive in our external world. Try and exist for one day, just be, without words. Try it! (I haven't done it and end up talking to myself, but be a dog for a day, and see what happens). Maybe I'm not an atheist anymore, I'm a dogist, or a catist, or if we want to have fun with words, I'm a pussyist!

I'm such a dog for saying that! (Always got to get deep and then end with a joke. That's my M.O.) :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Off-Topic”