Life after death?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

Re: Life after death?

Postby buildit » 05 Nov 2014 01:42

Summerlander wrote:Everybody knows what dementia can do to a person. How about the mental impairments from certain agnosias? Take prosopagnosia, for instance. On evolution, our eyes are so poorly designed that the optic nerve actually impairs much of the vision that we could have. Hence the blind spot! How about the fact that we now walk upright and this causes us to acquire back problems? So much for intelligent design and purpose in nature.

That is the same line of logic that allowed the inquisition to exist. The attitude which Dogchain has about cheering you on is the danger we face when science is made popular and simply accepted. If you have 1000 truths and they are based upon one lie, in science all those truths are now in question.

Honestly your mater of fact attitude that science has somehow proven anything about the soul or existence of mental consciousness after death of the corporeal form is unsubstantiated. It is not an affront to scientific method to say, "I DON'T KNOW". Many say it IS the beginning of all wisdom and knowledge.

So we reach an impasse where the science equipment is not advanced far enough to research the hypothesis. We also can not discern if first hand accounts are truly valid thru associative study with the visible or detectable universe. So instead of discussing the possibilities of alternate ideas summerland wants a personal debate club where he can show off his lawyer like skills and Dischain can play cheerleader. I would rather entertain multiple ideas as discuss merits instead of the grandstanding and bigotry others like to preform.

But then my degrees ARE in science not as a paralegal. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2014 15:01

deschainXIX wrote::lol: ^^^ Summer knocks it out of the park yet again.
It really is strange how buildit doesn't understand the fundamentals of basic evolution and biology. I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of scientist he is...

You know it! 8-)

buildit wrote:But then my degrees ARE in science not as a paralegal. :roll:

I take it my are paralegal, then. And I make good use of the evidence available... :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 05 Nov 2014 22:15

@buildit

It works ... bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtFSDKrq88

(Don't get mad and report me, please. :D )
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 06 Nov 2014 00:09

Dawkins reminds me of the same people who persecuted the right to die of people who face horrible deaths because of disease because again, there is no grey, it's all black and white and the grey gets auto colored black by his bias.

In the mean time while you two come up with another of your endless arguments here is an interesting study on life after death where science and math was utilized and the results are interesting. I'd tell you two to read it with an open mind but I know that is not possible, so please respond that it's bad science and proves nothing so we can validate your POV. :roll:

Results of world's largest Near Death Experiences study published
Thirty-nine per cent of patients who survived cardiac arrest and were able to undergo structured interviews described a perception of awareness, but interestingly did not have any explicit recall of events.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2014/oct/14_181.shtml#.VFqrsIdIj_c

Results
Among 2060 CA events, 140 survivors completed stage 1 interviews, while 101 of 140 patients completed stage 2 interviews. 46% had memories with 7 major cognitive themes: fear; animals/plants; bright light; violence/persecution; deja-vu; family; recalling events post-CA and 9% had NDEs, while 2% described awareness with explicit recall of ‘seeing’ and ‘hearing’ actual events related to their resuscitation. One had a verifiable period of conscious awareness during which time cerebral function was not expected.

http://www.resuscitationjournal.com/article/S0300-9572%2814%2900739-4/fulltext
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Nov 2014 15:57

Dawkins follows science and reason. And near-death isn't actual death, buildit. Nobody dies and comes back to tell the tale. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 06 Nov 2014 19:25

Summerlander wrote:Dawkins follows science and reason. And near-death isn't actual death, buildit. Nobody dies and comes back to tell the tale. :-D

1. Dawkins is a made for TV figure and feeds off his own biased and pompous attitude. He is the worst of science because of the personal bias he employs in his arguments. He is the Rush Limbaugh of the "science must prove itself right" world. :roll:

2. Near Death, it's as close as science or and medicine can get right now. If we find a method of reanimating a five year old rotting corpse we can ask it. In the mean time a nonexistent pulse and need for cardiopulmonary resuscitation appears to be the limit since decay of both brain and organs begins very quickly once oxygen stops circulating and acid levels start to rise in the blood stream.
Now there are some animals like the species rana sylvatica that lives in Souther Ohio and during their hibernation, the frogs’ bodies are completely frozen and then thaw back to life. If we can reproduce that hibernation effect in people (stasis) we could have a whole new branch of science dedicated to research on life after death. ;) Beyond that there are few methods of ending life and then interviewing the Deceased which would not allow for corporeal damage prohibiting reanimation.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Nov 2014 02:04

Oh dear. =-O

- Padmasambhava

passingthrutime

Postby passingthrutime » 09 Jan 2015 09:06

lively "discussion" here, I could almost imagine the shouting. I'll just say I think both sides opinions are rational, however i prefer to lean toward's buildit's side (just let it go buildit) no way to prove either side so why discuss it? just wait and see

the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence .

LET'S GOOOOOOOO BUILDIT,

seriously if u could convince either of em it'd have to be true right, fortunately the proof is unknown so we can have this loveley back and forth

lastly, enjoy this short comic I just made up

*a heavenly voice boom's over a farmer's field "worship my name for I have blessed you with my creation"
Farmer-pic's or it didn't happen
"Proof is in the pudding however, and we need to experience it for ourselves. But it's also like saying, 'If you don't know than I won't tell you!' I'm not here to prove that my opinion is right" -Hagart

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Jan 2015 12:26

There is plenty of evidence pointing away from the afterlife fantasy. I will also give you a better quote than the moronic one you posted:

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens

- Padmasambhava

passingthrutime

Postby passingthrutime » 11 Jan 2015 07:37

Where?
"Proof is in the pudding however, and we need to experience it for ourselves. But it's also like saying, 'If you don't know than I won't tell you!' I'm not here to prove that my opinion is right" -Hagart

Return to “Dream Science”