Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 07 Nov 2014 00:51

nesgirl wrote:Okay but I still believe that both genders need to be treated equally, and am going to pursue that as much as possible.


I agree.

nesgirl wrote:I hardly hear of asexual guys complaining that females are hitting on them. While I will admit some females are guilty of that, that doesn't happen nearly as often on the other side of the coin.


Perhaps.

nesgirl wrote:Actually this is more aimed at the crazed romantic guys, not guys in general, in case that wasn't obvious (and yes I feel the exact same way about crazed romantic females). I don't believe all guys are like this, and the ones who aren't too focused on that obviously are very easy to get along with and communicate with. Recall I said before that if there was more aromance in this world it society a much friendlier place and everyone would get along a lot better.
And as for discomfort, there is anti-romantic discomfort as well, and both genders are equally responsible for that, specifically many religions make me very uncomfortable with that, saying I am going to hades because I refuse to date and refuse to get married. And they say that aromance is evil


I, too, hold a general discomfort with romance. The difference between us, I think, is that I recognize this disposition to be a psychological defect--perhaps even a pathology--and I strive to purge myself of it.

nesgirl wrote:Actually that is how it works in nature. More often in nature with most animals, the females are usually very picky and selective, and the guys usually have to make a huge effort to try to win over a female. Sometimes it's to the point where they are even killing each other. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L54bxmZy_NE "Oh dear her departure says it all!" LOL!!


Very true. But in nature there's also indiscriminate murder, rape, theft, you name it. Nature is the grounds on which we can explain why crime naturally occurs and humans are instinctively drawn to do certain things. But I like to think that we homo sapiens have evolved extensively enough to sort of transcend our basic primal natures and rise to something higher.

nesgirl wrote:Let me remind you that you 2 got way to hypercritical of me when I posted my EEG Lucid Dream before. I no longer feel comfortable posting anything anymore because you made it sound like I was completely dishonest about having that Lucid Dream (it's bad enough that my brother says that because he doesn't even believe in Lucid Dreams and if I say anything he says I am being a bad example on his children) . I no longer feel comfortable about posting some of my Lucid Dreams because of it. I've had a literal history from that, and gotten into trouble for talking about some of my Lucid Dreams in the past, and now I have to literally keep them a huge secret in order to keep myself from getting into trouble or banned. It is just like history for me to get into trouble or get kicked out of clubs just for talking about or over a Lucid Dream.


By all means, share whatever you like. I don't believe in censorship of any kind. As I've stated before, I will never criticize you for saying something--instead, I'll criticize what you said.
Well said.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3655
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby Summerlander » 08 Nov 2014 01:43

I don't believe in censorship of any kind either. Apparently there are social networking sites that permit Muslim women to get in touch with ISIS members in Raqqa (capital of the internationally unrecognised Islamic State Caliphate) who are looking for jihadist brides. Sites like ask.fm facilitate this exchange and matchmaking.

The women often ask them for help to leave the land of kufar (unbelievers) and then travel to Syria. They evince how much they hate kufar on those sites and are then asked to make different accounts for direct messaging. Do I think these sites need security? Sure. Do I think they should be blocked? No. It wouldn't tackling the problem anyway. The problem is Islam, the ideology that attracts them to ISIS, and what they hear (or don't hear) in mosques.

But the anti-extremist group, the Quilliam Foundation, seem to think the Internet is "the new frontline of the crisis." Now the technology that everybody else uses, like PCs, Macs, laptops and smartphone apps are to blame. What a load of tosh. It is being claimed that women from the West are attracted to the promise by ISIS to offer them the best education in Mosul university in Iraq. Several school girls from the UK have already travelled to join the mujahideen whom they believe to be "the true warriors of Allah." Where is the concept of jihad coming from in the first place? It is certainly not the Internet...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
nesgirl
Posts: 1278
Joined: 25 May 2014 23:10

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby nesgirl » 08 Nov 2014 07:03

...
Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3655
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby Summerlander » 10 Nov 2014 02:44

We are primate mammals. We primarily evolved to argue and continue to argue even when we know we're wrong. This is compatible with self-preservation. Reason comes later - a product emerging parallel with our increasing ability to make predictions about the future based on understanding the present world that surrounds us. We are still animals with strong instincts, patterns of behaviour, and it shows!

By the way! Good news! A very bad primate mammal was critically wounded by not-so-bad (or not as bad) primates. The Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was attacked by American warplanes according to the TV channel Al Hadath. Prominent IS members were meeting in the town of al-Qaim when bombs fell on them. So far eight have been confirmed dead as a result. A hospital was overwhelmed with patients and one of them was al-Baghdadi himself.:-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 12:53

That is why it annoys me when some say, "People's opinions are totally static and they can never be persuaded and debate is pointless." Some people think that people don't change their minds about the world, when actually the case is that people don't VISIBLY change their minds. They do it in privacy, because it's undeniably shameful to admit you were wrong.
(Cool about that bombing.)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

User avatar
nesgirl
Posts: 1278
Joined: 25 May 2014 23:10

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby nesgirl » 10 Nov 2014 14:37

deschainXIX wrote:That is why it annoys me when some say, "People's opinions are totally static and they can never be persuaded and debate is pointless." Some people think that people don't change their minds about the world, when actually the case is that people don't VISIBLY change their minds. They do it in privacy, because it's undeniably shameful to admit you were wrong.
(Cool about that bombing.)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


No that's not the reason why I am hiding my stories away from you. I am hiding my stories away from you, because of what happened the last time. When I told you I had a Lucid Dream in the EEG lab, you accused me of faking it or lying about it, saying there was no way I could have had one, because the reading said I was unconscious. I really thought it was fun just having a Lucid Dream in the EEG lab, and thought it was cool, and you had to imply to everyone I was lying about the whole thing (which I don't lie about my Lucid Dreams), when to begin with I was NEVER trying to prove anything (I just had an unintentional probability Lucid Dream). I had been kept awake in for 24 hours, and was really hating that, I wanted to escape from reality as quickly as possible. Now I no longer feel comfortable sharing my Lucid Dreams hardly at all on here, because you sound exactly like my big brother whenever you talk about my Lucid Dreams (except he implies that with every one of them), and I cannot even share them with the family. So if I am keeping my Lucid Dreams private from most of the family, does that mean I am wrong about being a Lucid Dreamer to begin with? No it just means I cannot trust them because my brother won't keep his mouth shut about me being delusional or lying about me being expert Lucid Dreamer, and despite the fact I have shown them evidence, he still won't believe me.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3655
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby Summerlander » 10 Nov 2014 17:52

Me and deschainXIX are prime examples that people can change their minds. We may not have advertised the new paradigm straight away, we may even have lingered in our recognised ignorance in order to preserve our egos - before finally conceding. But we changed. And I'd like to think that we have grown sufficiently to admit immediately when we recognise that we are wrong. The search for knowledge and civilised discourse encourages individuals to be humble...humility is a sign of erudition: it is the updated version of what Socrates meant by the axiom, "One thing I know is that I know nothing."

On a different note, yeah, so much for Caliph Ibrahim, leader of all Muslims and a direct descendant of Prophet Muhammad. Where was Allah, dare I ask, to protect them from the infidels? :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 18:44

@nesgirl
I don't know your family, but I feel compelled to believe that if you scientifically and logically reasoned with them and provided them lucid dreaming literature to investigate for themselves, they would at least cease their accusations of delusion or lying.

@Summerlander
Their incessant answer to any criticism of God's lack of involvement in the world is always, "God works in mysterious ways." That's usually where the discussion ends for me, anyway. It's a dead-end argument. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

User avatar
nesgirl
Posts: 1278
Joined: 25 May 2014 23:10

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby nesgirl » 10 Nov 2014 20:03

...
Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 20:28

Actually both lucid dreaming and multimedia design indeed take place in the "real world." Perhaps you should point that out to them by explaining the psychological realm of knowledge that proves it. They sound far too concerned with superficiality in all honesty, limited to the bounds of their own experience as fed to them by their personal perception. I've had people act remarkably stupid and totally misunderstanding of what lucid dreaming is, but once I took the time to explain to them and give them a more enlightened understanding, most of them ceded the fact that it is a rational, secular phenomenon. In many ways lucid dreaming is much like meditation--viewed by many (morons) to be a quasi-spiritual experience like prayer or speaking in tongues, when in fact it is totally natural and scientific.

And, yes, I read your story before you edited it out. I'm not certain I see your point ... but interesting story nonetheless I suppose.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest