Is there an afterlife?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Peter

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby Peter » 10 Nov 2014 06:32

I think the whole point of our discourse is that there is no definitive answer. If there was proof one way or the other the discussion would be pointless

You could discuss this if you are running out of steam and need some new food
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 12:48

But all the evidence out there in combination with novice-level reasoning suggests the absence of any lingering consciousness after death. :D It simply makes no sense, and it defies everything we have figured out about biology and neurology in the last 100 or so years. We can even trace the origin of such primitive ideas as the afterlife. The reason these ideas have survived is because of blissful ignorance and wishful thinking. :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Nov 2014 16:05

^^ And this is all I'm pointing out besides emphasising the fact that the onus is on those who make tall claims with great certainty to provide something that will overthrow the conclusions that we've derived from what we have learned so far. If materialism (or physicalism) is false, and for whatever reason neuroscience points in the wrong direction, where is the solid case for this? I must agree with deschainXIX because last I checked science implies that we are biological robots who turn into empty shells at death. And what's more, we can malfunction while we are alive...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 10 Nov 2014 20:22

deschainXIX wrote:But all the evidence out there in combination with novice-level reasoning suggests the absence of any lingering consciousness after death.

Again, the lack of evidence is not a conclusive way to deny the presence of something. We lack evidence of life in space, yet we spend millions looking for it. People still report abductions even while older reports have been debunked.

deschainXIX wrote: It simply makes no sense, and it defies everything we have figured out about biology and neurology in the last 100 or so years. We can even trace the origin of such primitive ideas as the afterlife. The reason these ideas have survived is because of blissful ignorance and wishful thinking. :)

Everything defies what we know until we discover something new. :roll: We still look for earth like planets because these are the only conditions we know like can exist if....... until we discovered life in deep thermal vents where there was no light. Now we include planets with geothermal energy sources as possible homes for alien life. Life is not even nearly understood and you suggest we could even begin to fathom the requirements of an afterlife?
I should call you and Summertime the Ebenezer twins. :lol: I keep picturing the scene where the Ghost of Christmas past visits and he refuses to believe because a "foul morsel such thing can play tricks on the mind". As the poster on Agent Mulders wall said, "I want to believe". I can guess the poster on your walls reads, "I'll never believe."
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 21:04

Yep, that's what it says!
Except with one little important revision: "I will never believe anything that has no evidence to support it and has a whole world of evidence against it simply because I WANT it to be true."

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 10 Nov 2014 21:42

deschainXIX wrote:Yep, that's what it says!
Except with one little important revision: "I will never believe anything that has no evidence to support it and has a whole world of evidence against it simply because I WANT it to be true."

I wonder how many told Madam Curie the same thing? What is most limiting in science is the inability to see new possibilities, becoming rigid in the safe and comfortable things we think we know and are familiar with. Do not sail past this point or you'll go off the edge of the world science said! Finding a coelacanth is a fools errand, they are extinct. :roll:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 23:13

:lol: So at this point you're just starkly and shamelessly condemning the value of evidence, huh. There is a word for failing to construct belief upon evidence: delusional. You are really not worth having a realistic conversation with, are you? I think I realized that a long time ago; I'm only continuing discussion with you because it amuses me. :D
Well said.

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Nov 2014 00:12

deschainXIX wrote::lol: So at this point you're just starkly and shamelessly condemning the value of evidence, huh. There is a word for failing to construct belief upon evidence: delusional. You are really not worth having a realistic conversation with, are you? I think I realized that a long time ago; I'm only continuing discussion with you because it amuses me. :D

No, I condemn the act of not seeking evidence simply because it is not what you choose to believe. They call it denial.

I think after reading some of your other posts where you really seem to be trolling against others to argue with I should not comment to you anymore. If you have a social issue I hate to be an enabler to your psychological issues.

Re: Megaman Discussions
Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 16:36

chaosdragoon13 wrote:
Now listen to me, whatever god does is of no concern to you. You think god has to do everything for you? We humans have no right to judge our creator, god is the one and only god and has every right to treat us the way god wants.

Ergo God is an evil, tyrannical, Lovecraftian psychopath who I want nothing to do with.
Couldn't just say you disagree could you? :o

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 11 Nov 2014 00:21

Well, read the other posts there. We were having a discussion about the Epicurean argument, see?
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Nov 2014 16:07

There are many ways in which a person can disagree without saying the obvious. Also, Marie Curie made a scientific discovery based on theory and plausibility. It was an a priori and then a posteriori move. Science works this way, you see...

She discovered radium. Where is your so-called theory (or hypothesis) leading to discovery, buildit? Oh, that's right! It has already been given the benefit of the doubt and found to be untenable. It seems evidence points in the opposite direction (what we have been saying for so long). :roll:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”