Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
nesgirl

Re: Religion and Politics: Iraqi Crisis

Postby nesgirl » 10 Nov 2014 22:11

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Nov 2014 23:22

nesgirl wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bTFCYcjv0w
Explaining it to some people is like SpongeBob explaining it to Patrick I am afraid. "Shoot! That was my last quarter!" At the end, "Does anyone have a quarter?"

:lol: I loved that show when I was a kid.

nesgirl wrote:Well it'd probably be even more farfetched if I included that WILD I had in there. I honestly don't see anything wrong with the WILD itself. While it did actually coincide with some events making it seem suspicious, things like that happen at times. I have had probability Lucid Dreams in the past. Although I told you about one of my probability Lucid Dreams before when it happened during my EEG and you really criticized me for it. I cannot help when I have a probability Lucid Dream, as probability is caused by the laws of math, not by me, and if I have one, it isn't my fault. If you are going to get mad at someone for my lousy luck, blame the functions of math in this universe.

Sorry, could you aid me in defining a "probability lucid dream"? Also, an EEG is not an operation but a continuous measurement of cephalic neural activity. You cannot have something happen to you "during an EEG." Perhaps what you mean is, while under operation, you underwent a lucid dream while the EEG measured you as unconscious. Which is indeed impossible. Equally is it impossible for you to have known the measurement of your electroencephalographic activity whilst being in a lucid dream--or as Summerlander puts it, the phase state. I do not see how this escapes your mind's threshold for understanding.
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Nov 2014 05:29

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 11 Nov 2014 15:45

Umm ... I'm not sure if you know this, but I have never attacked anyone for posting anything, much less sharing a lucid dream on the forum. Why would I? Can you link me an example where you think I've made people uncomfortable sharing their lucid dreams? Even one link?

Also--I don't care about your operation experience. I'm not going to "accuse you of lying" or anything like that. I did however criticize it on another thread because, if memory serves, we were discussing the existence of consciousness within unconsciousness (IE death), and you provided that story as evidence for the spirit. Of course I'm going to criticize that! How can you get angry with me for criticizing that, when we were having a debate about that very thing?!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Nov 2014 16:58

There is a new Sam Harris video where he talks about self-transcendence, nesgirl. He perfectly illustrates how the self is an illusion, just another sense of content of consciousness, and how, when you look for it in meditation, it falls apart. You really want to look at that...

I also liked the fact that he mentioned how numinous experiences, in the context of ideology, could incentivise individuals to do things others wouldn't. Like some people who travel to Syria and Iraq to fight for ISIS and commit suicide-homicide.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 11 Nov 2014 19:08

You can also abandon your sense of self simply by thinking and realizing through simple causal philosophy that the self is nothing. It's a pretty easy concept to understand. What's hard is actually accepting it and acting upon it--those things are achieved through the meditation.

Yeah. People interpret these pseudo-spiritual experiences differently, and this fact itself proves that they are not at all spiritual. People are always telling me that they had a wonderful fantastic dream via which God was trying to communicate with them. It's mind-bogglingly stupid. Despite all the scientific flaws with that statement, I always feel like pointing out, "Hey, maybe it was Allah trying to communicate with you, not the Christian God."

Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Nov 2014 20:19

And have you heard the ridiculous theological reasoning that God must exist because He exists as a concept in our minds? Lol! To which people like Richard Dawkins retorted: "What about dragons?" :-D

I'm more concerned about real things in the world than silly arguments about the metaphysical existence of imaginary friends (or dictators).:-)

Iran has just signed a deal with Russia for two new nuclear reactors. Meanwhile, Putin and a gullible Obama exchange views about Syria and Iraq. I wonder if the Russian president cared to mention the reasons behind intimidating peripheral nations with airforce and why he's already downed a few aircraft carrying innocent civillians. It is a cold war and yet people seem to think that two opposing presidents talking for 20 minutes somehow constitutes progress of some sort. Germany is shitting itself about placing sanctions against the Russian Federation, and given the latter's aggression, so they should. There is no reasoning with such psychopath.

It's also the tenth anniversary of the death of the infamous Yasser Arafat. A Palestinian demonstrator has already been shot dead by Israeli forces in Hebron, West Bank, amid tensions over Jerusalem's holy site. The Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas accused Israel of trying to provoke a religious war. (Can you believe that in this day and age people fight over where to pray and what ideas should be persued without evidence or reason?)

Mahmoud Abbas also blamed Hamas for carrying out attacks in Gaza and killing officials loyal to Qatar - destroying Palestinian unity in the process.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Nov 2014 21:00

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Nov 2014 01:12

Perhaps. Impossible to know, I guess. :)

Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2014 01:14

"I can indeed say that my representations follow one another; but this is only to say that we are conscious of them as in a time-sequence, that is, in conformity with the form of inner sense."

- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason"

"My hearing what you say is dependent on your saying it within earshot while I am awake, which pretty much guarantees that I hear it. My understanding what you say is dependent on many things, but not, it seems, on any identifiable elements of internal phenomenology; no conscious experience will guarantee that I have understood you, or misunderstood you."

- Daniel Dennett, "Consciousness Explained"

Perhaps you did dream or were lost in thought during that period but the experience just didn't stick in your memory. Probably not enough conscious impact. It is possible be dreaming and not know it (in fact more common than lucid dreaming). It is also possible to be lost in thoughtand not realise it (as Sam Harris pointed out when one mediates).

It is also possible to confabulate and not realise it when you don't remember so well. This gives rise to false memories which can lead you to believe that you remember something really well.

"The astronomer's rule of thumb: if you don't right it down, it didn't happen."

- Clifford Stoll, "The Cucko's Egg"

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”