New Neuroscience Study on Lucid Dreaming at UW Madison

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
BBAIRD

New Neuroscience Study on Lucid Dreaming at UW Madison

Postby BBAIRD » 06 Nov 2014 07:13

Hi Lucid Dreamers,

We are starting a new research study at the University of Wisconsin – Madison and are currently recruiting individuals that have lucid dreams very frequently (minimum of 3 per week but ideally every night). If you fit these criteria, we would like to invite you to spend between 1 and 4 nights in the sleep laboratory while we monitor brain activity with EEG. The rooms in the UW sleep laboratory are like small hotel rooms- each has a full-sized bed, flat-screen satellite television and private bathroom. The study visit will also include a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of your brain anatomy. The aim of these studies is to assess the brain mechanisms of lucidity using techniques at the forefront of cognitive neuroscience.

At the current time we are unfortunately unable to pay for transportation costs, so we are looking for people who are either in the Wisconsin area, are within a reasonable distance to make the drive, or would be willing to take a vacation/trip to lovely Madison to make a contribution to some cutting-edge lucid dreaming studies. You have a free room to sleep in at the sleep center. The experiment can also be run on the weekend if you are from out of town.

Additional information:
You will receive $75 for the overnight study, and we will provide you with additional compensation as well as a CD with movies of the 3D anatomy of your brain for the MRI section.

Exclusion criteria: taking any medications that affect sleep, presence of any known sleep disorders, over 45 years of age or under 18 years of age, or unable to safely enter MRI facilities (i.e., any metal in body).

If you are interested, please contact me at bbaird@wisc.edu, and I’ll provide you with more information. Also - please spread the word. If you are unable to participate but know someone that might be we would sincerely appreciate it if you could pass this information on.

Best,
Ben

buildit

Re: New Neuroscience Study on Lucid Dreaming at UW Madison

Postby buildit » 06 Nov 2014 19:30

Too bad you don't have the ability to do the research at other Universities like OSU. That or maybe a do it at home kit? :lol: Best luck to the study team. :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

BBAIRD

Postby BBAIRD » 06 Nov 2014 19:50

Hi buildit, Yes it is too bad we can't expand right now, but we have a lot of cutting-edge equipment here, and there are a number of challenges in doing multi-site research. By OSU do you mean Ohio State University or Oklahoma State? Ohio State is only an 8 hour drive and Oklahoma State a 12 hour drive. It's a drive, but I would suggest that either would be a possibility, and something to consider if you or someone you know lives there who fits the study criteria and could come up for a weekend.

buildit

Postby buildit » 06 Nov 2014 23:50

BBAIRD wrote:Hi buildit, Yes it is too bad we can't expand right now, but we have a lot of cutting-edge equipment here, and there are a number of challenges in doing multi-site research. By OSU do you mean Ohio State University or Oklahoma State? Ohio State is only an 8 hour drive and Oklahoma State a 12 hour drive. It's a drive, but I would suggest that either would be a possibility, and something to consider if you or someone you know lives there who fits the study criteria and could come up for a weekend.

The Ohio State University
- In the future I may be able to come to Wisconsin and be involved with something but right now family obligations have me tied down. :oops: The Ohio State University is about the closest large medical research facility to me, about an hour away.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Nov 2014 23:24

I sent them a mail wishing them best of luck with the project. It would be cool if you get the chance to be involved in some way
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

buildit

Postby buildit » 11 Nov 2014 23:48

Peter wrote:I sent them a mail wishing them best of luck with the project. It would be cool if you get the chance to be involved in some way

My luck I'd not be capable of having a good control dream like I'd want to have.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2014 00:44

I think I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Nov 2014 01:20

Summerlander wrote:I think I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight.

Well quick, head to University of Wisconsin! :lol:

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2014 07:32

My luck I'd not be capable of having a good control dream like I'd want to have.

its like that, I did what was called a finger tapping study and it was the last night and 3rd attempt and I got it. Was starting to get annoyed with failing, it was so funny as I wrecked an attempt to get lucid, went back to sleep dwelling on it and had to do a lot of reality checks as I was lucid but so real I struggled to accept it.

Funny but got there in the end
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

buildit

Postby buildit » 12 Nov 2014 07:36

Peter wrote:

its like that, I did what was called a finger tapping study and it was the last night and 3rd attempt and I got it. Was starting to get annoyed with failing, it was so funny as I wrecked an attempt to get lucid, went back to sleep dwelling on it and had to do a lot of reality checks as I was lucid but so real I struggled to accept it.

Funny but got there in the end

Good job. I wonder how I would preform under pressure. :? Might need to invent dream lube after all. :lol:

Return to “Dream Science”