The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
HAGART

Re: The Greatest Powers of Lucid Dreaming.

Postby HAGART » 28 Nov 2014 04:34

Summerlander wrote:In a lucid dream you can fly to the moon like superman.

No you can't. You only think you did. When you are flying or falling in a dream, have you ever thought... am I moving as I see things pass me, or am I staying still and they are moving around me, only creating the illusion of movement? You didn't go anywhere.

Sure felt good though, and sounds like a fun memory.

Committing horrific assaults in a lucid dream is equally an illusion and none of it remains after the dream. The dream was created and destroyed when it began and ended. Nothing is gained or lost and it adds to 0. Well, not quite!

Two things remain: The Feeling and The Memory. Dreams can leave a 'solid' residue on our minds even though the dream was a 'holodeck' illusion. (So some things ARE gained after all. I am typing this as I brainstorm)

I'm glad to say, I never felt pleasure in killing dream characters, (unless I am semi-lucid and skiing down a hill shooting people like a video game... true example). I have killed out of 'self-defense' before too. Even though I just said it's all an illusion it can be quite convincing and dream characters have actually grabbed me and thrown me and even tried poking me in the eye once or twice! They got what they deserved.

I experimented recently a few weeks ago, killing a dream character just for the heck of it. They were just like a rag-doll and I sensed no 'presence' in it, and it didn't talk, so it was more of an 'experiment' to see what would happen if I ripped their head off. (I got the idea on a whim in the dream because I have attempted similar feats on myself, pulling fingers off, bending them back, sticking my hands in my head and once even pulled my own arm off). So why not try it on someone else in the dream?

You might think that's sick. I didn't enjoy it as much as other dreams and don't feel like doing it again. So I know I am a good person. (Yet an evil person would say the same thing!)

This opens a good debatable question about the ethics of lucid dreaming...
(That's it for my rambling. I get a thought in my head and I just keep going!)
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Nov 2014 10:27

Actually, in a lucid dream, you don't think you did the action at all. You know you didn't because you know it's all a dream. If you thought you did fly you wouldn't be lucid. Lucidity means you are clear about the nature of your circumstances and all you are doing is enjoying the realism of that which you know to be an illusion.

In the same vein, I never ask where I'm moving or the world is moving past me when lucid dreaming. I know motion is illusory to begin with. Nothing is moving at all.

I can be pedantic too, Hagart! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 28 Nov 2014 18:01

Somewhere there is a thread titled "Lucid Dreaming Ethics." Died young, like most of my threads. The concluding verdict, if memory serves, was of course: Do whatever the hell you want. Doing bad things in a dream doesn't make you a bad person, HAGART. Not if you're consciously aware that you are free of empathy in the dream--thusly your regard for human life is not violated and you may proceed in utter depravity. (I liked Summerlander's example. I've done psychological research for my novels via lucid dreams before. Or even acted out scenes for inspiration when I get stuck.)

I also don't think that space in the real world is any more significant than space in the dream world. If I walk across the room right now, it could be a dream, it could be reality, and I wouldn't know the difference unless I did a reality check--but what does that prove exactly?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 29 Nov 2014 03:34

deschainXIX wrote:Somewhere there is a thread titled "Lucid Dreaming Ethics." Died young, like most of my threads. The concluding verdict, if memory serves, was of course: Do whatever the hell you want. Doing bad things in a dream doesn't make you a bad person, HAGART. Not if you're consciously aware that you are free of empathy in the dream--thusly your regard for human life is not violated and you may proceed in utter depravity. (I liked Summerlander's example. I've done psychological research for my novels via lucid dreams before. Or even acted out scenes for inspiration when I get stuck.)

I also don't think that space in the real world is any more significant than space in the dream world. If I walk across the room right now, it could be a dream, it could be reality, and I wouldn't know the difference unless I did a reality check--but what does that prove exactly?

Your right what does it prove? I think it proves that there are different dimensions within reality all though this leads to a new topic but that's the only explanation I can think of, is that it proves consciousness never ends, it only transitions.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Nov 2014 09:48

How does it prove that exactly?

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 29 Nov 2014 10:41

Summerlander wrote:How does it prove that exactly?

[ Post made via Android ][/si] Image

Because of his theory on walking in a room in the real world and walking through a room in the dream world and being able to differentiate between the two realities.

[size=75][ Post made via Android ] Image

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Nov 2014 17:10

I do not see how it proves consciousness is infinite. How does it prove that? It only proves that consciousness cannot definitively differentiate between realities--it only observes perception passively. The act of lucid dreaming is to defy this nature (and we are largely inefficient most of the time).

However, I would have phrased my conclusion differently: There are undeniably two worlds (or maybe no worlds), and those worlds have a lot of commonalities, but they also have a lot of differences. For example, in a lucid dream I can teleport across 100,000 kilometers in the blink of an eye. In reality, that is impossible.

Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2015 06:13

I can imagine stealing Angelina Jolie from Brad Pitt. In reality, that is highly unlikely! :-D

- Padmasambhava

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Apr 2015 06:26

deschainXIX wrote:I do not see how it proves consciousness is infinite. How does it prove that? It only proves that consciousness cannot definitively differentiate between realities--it only observes perception passively. The act of lucid dreaming is to defy this nature (and we are largely inefficient most of the time).

However, I would have phrased my conclusion differently: There are undeniably two worlds (or maybe no worlds), and those worlds have a lot of commonalities, but they also have a lot of differences. For example, in a lucid dream I can teleport across 100,000 kilometers in the blink of an eye. In reality, that is impossible.

but is anything really impossible in the real world and dream world? i quote "Anything is possible, but how probable is it, is the true question" this couldnt be more accurate of a statement for this arguments on this topic

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Apr 2015 06:26

Summerlander wrote:I can imagine stealing Angelina Jolie from Brad Pitt. In reality, that is highly unlikely! :-D

aha so your admitting there is a chance. visa vi a less likely probability of it happening ;)

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”