Inter Activity Reality Change (IARC) Experiments

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
Peter

Re: Inter Activity Reality Change (IARC) Experiments

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2014 07:38

The distraction is a hard one, I can be riding up a hill on my bike going quite hard and my cell will go. I will answer it and keep riding hard and after the call is done a lot of the time have no real recall of the ride for the last few minutes.
It intrigues me that I can get lost for a bit with that distraction but cant replicate this when I am suffering in a race when I need it the most.

Have you tried to focus on some part of your body as it comes to awareness, like what I call a body scan when going for a WILD.
try to clear your mind and then roam around your body for a sensation and then see if it can become the total focus. I imagine a spot as being trillions of cells all doing something and giving of energy (light) and have got lucid a few times with this light focus.

Just a thought
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

buildit

Postby buildit » 17 Nov 2014 07:39

Peter wrote:The distraction is a hard one, I can be riding up a hill on my bike going quite hard and my cell will go. I will answer it and keep riding hard and after the call is done a lot of the time have no real recall of the ride for the last few minutes.
It intrigues me that I can get lost for a bit with that distraction but cant replicate this when I am suffering in a race when I need it the most.

Have you tried to focus on some part of your body as it comes to awareness, like what I call a body scan when going for a WILD.
try to clear your mind and then roam around your body for a sensation and then see if it can become the total focus. I imagine a spot as being trillions of cells all doing something and giving of energy (light) and have got lucid a few times with this light focus.

Just a thought

Yes, I'm just wildly grasping at mental images as I can produce them and trying to keep the distraction going as I push my body. If I can I'll just close my eyes and avoid the distractions of people moving around me or the wall of TV's they have set up front. Even tried looking at the reflection in my propel water bottle. I was surprised how much definition I could get by really concentrating on it for a while.

No success again today elliptical 45 min, level 5, 605calories.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

buildit

Postby buildit » 21 Nov 2014 22:15

11-21-14 Elliptical, 30 min, level 6, 405 calories avg of 140BPM. Sporadic moments of distraction but just didn't feel into it today. Work out schedule has been disrupted too many time recently I think with family, work, holiday events and all. May take a break from reporting till I can refocus efforts again.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Nov 2014 02:13

Following this one so dont give up, refresh me on the goal once more when you get time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

buildit

Postby buildit » 22 Nov 2014 18:57

Peter wrote:Following this one so dont give up, refresh me on the goal once more when you get time

The ultimate goal is the division of the conscious mind from the automatic functioning's of the subconscious. My hope was/ is to determine if the conscious mind "wander off" after "preprograming" the subconscious to preform a task. In my experiment the subconscious only needs to keep moving my legs for the most part and maintain balance while I try to redirect my conscious mind into a day dream of sorts. If one could get good at such a separation it open some interesting applications for true multi tasking. ;)

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Nov 2014 18:55

have you tried dropping the intensity of the exercise and reading while exercising. Reading is a great distraction and will engage a strong sense and decreasing the exercise intensity might make it easier.

It would be a good start just to know it can work, or if you are in a quiet place while hunting for visuals start t describe them as they appear.
Einstein used this to last one to put himself in an altered state while looking for new ideas. (think I read that correctly somewhere)

buildit

Postby buildit » 26 Nov 2014 05:51

Peter wrote:have you tried dropping the intensity of the exercise and reading while exercising. Reading is a great distraction and will engage a strong sense and decreasing the exercise intensity might make it easier.

Yes, but it's hard to spend a lot of extra time not working out. ;)

Peter wrote:It would be a good start just to know it can work, or if you are in a quiet place while hunting for visuals start t describe them as they appear.

I do that all the time but actually dislike it. It's like getting into a mental argument over the obvious inception. It has worked better when I can set up a story line for my imagination to follow. It's not a matter now of can it happen, it's a matter of how to be repeatable and reliable at doing it. It appears to be a state of mind and like lucid dreaming it seems to require a trigger.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Nov 2014 17:05

buildit wrote:
Peter wrote:Following this one so dont give up, refresh me on the goal once more when you get time

The ultimate goal is the division of the conscious mind from the automatic functioning's of the subconscious. My hope was/ is to determine if the conscious mind "wander off" after "preprograming" the subconscious to preform a task. In my experiment the subconscious only needs to keep moving my legs for the most part and maintain balance while I try to redirect my conscious mind into a day dream of sorts. If one could get good at such a separation it open some interesting applications for true multi tasking. ;)

I used to be an competitive swimmer and used to zone out at times when swimming long distances of laps in a swimming pool eg once you get over 35 or so laps, it becames very easy to zone out esp when watching the ripples on the bottom of the pool while swimming (it really trances one out and its like hypnotic). It ends up like one can swim forever and one ends up up to over 60-70 laps or so in what seems to be no time at all, completely effortlessly. One can like forget one is swimming.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Science”