A Temporal Friend

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
nesgirl

Re: A Temporal Friend

Postby nesgirl » 03 Dec 2014 19:25

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Dec 2014 23:42

I've never seen a Borg have health problems.

You do, and I know that, and I sound callous, but I was just trying to joke. I really do feel for you nesgirl and have empathy whether you like it or not, I'm probably your biggest friend here.

I hide my feelings in a mist of jokes all the time.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2014 00:42

Interesting thought experiment, Hagart. I just think time travel violates causality and just would not happen. According to Enra, the minute you build a time machine is the minute you start getting visitors from the future. But if cause and effect since the Big Bang predetermines the invention of a time machine (the Bang exploded in such a way that would inevitably lead to the building of such machine) why is it that one cannot travel before its conception. And if this is possible, what stops a time traveller from aiming for a time before time (pre-Bang).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Dec 2014 04:29

What is 'time' anyway?

Just a rate that things happen. It can be measured at the atomic scale and that is the closest to a single, measurable event we can ever get to. But it still takes 'time' for a half-life to happen. And electrons are a mystery and I don't know if they orbit or are just a wave of probability....

Whenever I question anything and everything in my existence the more it just seems like an illusion, a construct of my mind.

That sounds insane, and perhaps I didn't word it right, but I'm serious! ;)

I have no answer, but I sure pose some good questions that even I can't answer and have a hard time putting into words.

My intuition is strong though and it tells me something is wrong and the way we perceive reality doesn't add up. Something's missing.

If our brains are just a bunch of chemicals and an electric storm how do we know the exact time of death? When does it happen? What about birth. When is someone born? You were already alive when you came out of the womb and a doctor stamps his approval and gives you a certificate of your birth. The same happens when you die. How can a doctor look at a clock and say, "Time of death was....."

Perhaps when we die, time slows down, and we can live a life-time in our minds and perhaps it has already happened and I am already dead.

This is far out stuff and I am not boring anyone because I think Enra Traz would enjoy me as a 'pastling' posing these questions. I look forward to a response.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

R99

Postby R99 » 04 Dec 2014 08:07

HAGART wrote:Perhaps when we die, time slows down, and we can live a life-time in our minds and perhaps it has already happened and I am already dead.

Its insane, the same concept elaborated in a LD movie "Waking Life".... that movie is some serious mind boggle.
I see the Truth now.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 04 Dec 2014 11:42

I've just Googled Back To The Future. I honestly didn't even know it was a movie, Hagart. When R99 said "like in back to the future" I assumed he meant my hand had disappeared and reappeared in the future. Now I see why you became suspicious. The movie is quite popular in your time and it is about time travel. I think that people are reading too much into what I say and try to look for terrene explanations. I can understand that. Time travel is counterintuitive even where I'm from.

Nobody is elected to be a time traveller, deschainXIX. Like I said before, I'm here to record history and measure the consumption of urethane. I was simply selected for this mission by a computer that coordinates métiers. It is also possible that the results from my psychometrika test persuaded the heads of this project to send me. I believe I've answered your questions regarding why I joined this forum. I feel like socializing with people of your time in an honest manner and without risking myself in person. I also cannot risk showing strangers of this epoch the time machine for reasons I'm sure all of you understand. Time travel may be top secret in 2212 but my government isn't so concerned about one of its adjutants divulging information in the past on some Internet forum.

I have also mentioned before that my confrères have already altered things and continue to do so, and for that reason your future will never look exactly like mine. I also made it clear that when I go back, it will not be your future but mine I shall encounter. The tracking device in the temporal pod makes this possible. So I'm hoping you see why the chiefs of my time do not care about which course of history you take. Ours is fixed and hence there is no need for the protocol you mentioned.

We don't interfere with atrocities because it has nothing to do with us and also nothing to do with fearing a change in the course of history. Anything that gets changed, for better or worse, belongs in your future. Ours has already happened. I know it's hard to comprehend this but reality is built this way. The many-worlds structure, as one of the versions of interpreting quantum theory goes, is true. As you can see, this project is not concerned with the butterfly effect. I also could not prevent 9/11 if I wanted to because it took place before the invention of the time machine. As I alluded to before, conventional causality can be violated in the space-time continuum with the aid of a temporal pod but not meta-causality.

Nesgirl, there are many ills in the future and cloning was finally outlawed in 2152 once Annail, the first official human clone, died at the age of twelve due to complications. In my time many of us, the normal majority really, have short lifespans. There are indeed many asexual individuals in future Eurasia--large communities which are unprecedented for people of your time--but sex still prevails. Your questions are quite peculiar but feel free to ask more.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Dec 2014 12:58

Something I'm interested in is these LaBerge Pods. Why don't people simply spend their entire lives inside one? There must be people who become addicts and refuse to leave the machine. In fact, I'm rather convinced that if we ever had this sort of technology, people would choose to simply lose themselves in the machine, unwilling to face the coldness of reality after having experienced such a beauty and awesome freedom as a lucid dream.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2014 16:03

They would still need to eat though. But there could be addicts just like in our time people are addicted to videogames (still legal) and drugs (legal in Amsterdam). People also become alcoholics. I guess people will always display different reactions to things. Lets see what Enra has to say...

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 04 Dec 2014 19:27

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2014 20:54

Fair play about what could distract you from lucid dreaming, nesgirl. But aren't you weirding Enra out with your insistence upon asexuality and anti-romance? Enra, you are dealing with a right-wing asexual here! :-D

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Introduce Yourself”