Keeping motivated for reality checks

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
CanadianGuy

Keeping motivated for reality checks

Postby CanadianGuy » 03 Dec 2014 20:41

Hi everyone, I actually had my first lucid dream around the first or second day I started reading this site (very short, and it was only half lucid because I was afraid that if I tried to rub my hands together or shout that I am awake, I would wake myself up.)
Now, I have been following and practicing lucid dreaming for about a month or so (waking up in the night, recording dreams) And I have to be honest, I could use a little help. I know that when you do reality checks, your supposed to really believe that whatever your doing can be done (I tried to push my fingers through my hand and started with tables and walls as well), however, because I am losing motivation I am really trying to believe it and question it, but i'm struggling to do that. I just keep feeling like there isn't a point or that I can't do it (believe I can do it, even though I know physically it's impossible. So, I figured it would be smart to ask around and get some input. Hopefully I can get some help here for this, and I will do my best to answer any questions you guys might have.

Thanks in advance!

taniaaust1

Re: Keeping motivated for reality checks

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Dec 2014 06:51

I suggest that if you are having trouble in believing that you could push a finger throu the hand when you are doing it to reality check.. or finding the reality checking you are using currently tedious (that one does get boring fast), I suggest to try another kind of reality check.

One easy one I do at times (I used to do this every time I went to the loo) is to see how high I can jump. I just jump once and try to touch the ceiling. I try to beat how high I have jumped in past. I figure that if I ever did that in a lucid I'd probably end up hitting the ceiling or end up with a jump in which I would be thinking "oh wow, that was very high".

At least with this check you arent wasting time... doing a few of these jumps a day would be good exercise too. (I think it would only take one serious jump to see how high you can jump to show if its a LD or not).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 06 Dec 2014 09:49

I know the feeling, I had it too once, until I had dreams when I thought about doing reality checks and I really thought in my mind ''Nah, it's real'', it means that in your dreams you believe EXACTLY the same as you are in real life, you really think you are awake there, therefore reality checks are super important in my opinion.

As another guy said, try to do other reality checks, I do the looking at your hands reality check and asking yourself if you are dreaming, I am doing it for like 10 seconds, trying each hour a day.

Another good reality check is to plug your nose with your fingers and trying to breath.

After all, think of the target you are doing those reality checks in the first place, getting lucid and do whatever you want in your dreams, I think that's enough motivation you can imagine :)
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

CanadianGuy

Postby CanadianGuy » 08 Dec 2014 01:23

Well, I'm glad to know that people still struggle with it, yet they still get lucid dreams for trying. I know for sure that when I actually do lucid dream, my motivation will skyrocket for a long time after that, I know that will happen, but until my brain sees it, well...

And I actually do enjoy jumping, so that would be a nice change of pace, thanks for the advice. I am also trying to will myself to float, so hopefully that can eventually continue into my dreams.

Thanks for the help guys/gals, and if anyone has more advice, I would certainly be very grateful to hear it!

Return to “For Beginners”