Quantum reality

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Enra Traz

Re: Quantum reality

Postby Enra Traz » 12 Dec 2014 18:11

I just watched a documentary about quantum physics today. John Bell had made an interesting statement once regarding two renowned scientists (and rivals) and their quantum theory interpretations. Let me paraphrase. Bell said that Einstein was logical, clear, consistent, down-to-earth and wrong. Bohr, on the other hand, was quite the opposite but right.

The electron can indeed be in many places at once, like a wave of probabilities, until an observer makes a measurement which forces it into certainty. Little is known of the mechanics behind this but I'm still not buying the Copenhagen interpretation. The many-worlds interpretation is now gaining popularity and makes more sense. It has recently come to light that just our Big Bang alone had enough force to potentially produce not one "bubble" but many and this lends credit to the theory that every possibility that could have taken place in our universe did take place in another. How many universes this would take I don't know.

The multiverse is looking good at the mo.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Dec 2014 18:25

Great quotes from deschainXIX. I think we can never reach the edge of our universe. First, we'd have to travel way faster than light. Second, if we did reach the edge, and pushed through, we'd only be expanding our universe ever further, because WE, after all, are a part of it. We'd be mere conglomerates of baryonic matter that were somehow propelled to travel faster than the general rate of expansion, thus forming a spindle at the cosmic edge (if there is even such a thing).

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Dec 2014 19:13

I'm certainly a 'soft thinker' and quite agnostic and everything is up in the air for me.
We need someone like me to gather new ideas in the clouds, but I also need others to pull me down and poke holes to see if what I say floats in the water.

That was poetic! Watch out Stephen King! Hagart's in the house! :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Dec 2014 21:22

Lol, I'm assuming that post made by Traz was Summerlander's wife, or else he really is continuing that multiple personalities thing. :D

Summerlander's idea about flying a spaceship at the end of the universe and the universe merely continuing to expand with its progression is problematic (to me; or at least it spawns bigger questions) in that it suggests there is space beyond the limits of our universe's space, which our universe can expand into. By this reasoning, there must be something beyond the edges of the universe, right? But we could never get there because we are harnessed inevitably to our own universe.

@HAGART
I try to keep soft thinking within the realm of art. Art is where I can purge it. I wouldn't use soft thinking to ponder any actionable or considerable information or theses or whatever. It can be useful at times, though. We can't be cold and mechanical all the time.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Dec 2014 23:20

It was me posting as Enra by accident! Lol! The bleatin name and password is stuck on my phone for good it seems. (Told you I'm not good with gadgets.) ;-)

Very good ratiocination there, deschainXIX, but I going to be a bit of a Kant here (no pun intended :-D ) and remind you that the same thing could be said about the period shortly after the Big Bang, when the rate of expansion was tremendous, and, remember, as the theory goes space and time begins at the Big Bang. (Well, as far as this universe is concerned which at the moment is the only one we are sure of.)

So we must be careful not to postulate elements for which we have no evidence. As current cosmology and the physics that go with it go, it seems that Big Bang expansion occurred, as mind-boggingly as it seems, precisely because there was no space and thus the potential for this one to emerge was unimaginably enormous. (Hence the quantum fluctuations that begot it because things are weird like that :-) )

But the real miracle, as you can see, is not the Big Bang - because it was inevitable! (Of course it would have been better to have been present on the day to study it but we'll just have to make do with cosmological forensics.) For more details on Hubble's Law, with recent updates, check out Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe From Nothing" seminar on Youtube. (But do buy his book of the same name - I highly recommend it ;-) )

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 12 Dec 2014 23:24

Oh yeah, btw, the next book I'll be reading soon is James Kakalios's "The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics." I can't wait! :-P

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Dec 2014 23:44

Summerlander wrote:But the real miracle, as you can see, is not the Big Bang - because it was inevitable! (Of course it would have been better to have been present on the day to study it but we'll just have to make do with cosmological forensics.) For more details on Hubble's Law, with recent updates, check out Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe From Nothing" seminar on Youtube. (But do buy his book of the same name - I highly recommend it )

I certainly will! :geek:
Well said.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 13 Dec 2014 03:48

It won't disappoint! Why is there something rather than nothing? Because the potential for something was too great and the real miracle would have been if there was nothing! (Divine intervention could have stopped the big bang, but, logically it didn't because the celestial dictator doesn't exist and everything so far has behaved according to this patency.) :-D

Sorry for getting a little atheistic again guys. Oh shit! Enra again. Sorry, guys! :-)

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 13 Dec 2014 04:41

I'm certainly nowhere near lettered in these matters (that's what the book is for!), but am I the only one dissatisfied by that ultimatum? By all means, it is better than the God hypothesis, but "the potential for something was greater than the potential for nothing" seems a lot like conjecture. It's probably well-evidenced conjecture, but it just doesn't satisfy. I mean, what does that even mean exactly? There must have been something, some set of temporal rules (or laws of physics) already at play to influence an end that rules "something bursting into being was inevitable", right? I don't know. That explanation is probably the best answer we have at the moment--and probably the best answer we will ever have. But that doesn't mean it sits nicely with me! :D

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Well said.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 13 Dec 2014 08:31

Enra Traz wrote:The many-worlds interpretation is now gaining popularity and makes more sense. It has recently come to light that just our Big Bang alone had enough force to potentially produce not one "bubble" but many and this lends credit to the theory that every possibility that could have taken place in our universe did take place in another. How many universes this would take I don't know.

The multiverse is looking good at the mo.

Imagine, if you will, living many life times, in many forms, on many worlds, traveling through eternity. I saw this quote and loved it, because this is where my primary belief is in the idea of life I guess.,

Return to “Off-Topic”