Is it better to feel pain or not feel pain in dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Is it better to feel pain or not feel pain in dreams?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Feb 2012 18:24

I was reading a post on injuries in dreams and realized that I don't think I've ever really felt pain in a dream.

At first I thought maybe I've been cheated somehow, not getting the full experience of the dream. But then, maybe that's better. Do I really want to feel pain in my dreams? Makes me think about waking life to. Would I like to not feel pain in waking life? Any thoughts on this?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Ryan

Re: Is it better to feel pain or not feel pain in dreams?

Postby Ryan » 12 Feb 2012 18:59

I don't get pain in the non-physical either.

Pain doesn't work there only because there's no actual physical body or pain receptors for which to work with. You *can* feel pain, but it's always a self-created mind manifestation of your belief of what is painful to you.

In this physical reality, we can not exactly "not" feel pain. But, we can ignore it... to a certain degree, with much practice. Actually, it's not so much "ignoring" it, as it is "not acknowledging" it. There's a slight difference in those.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Feb 2012 19:42

In this physical reality, we can not exactly "not" feel pain. But, we can ignore it... to a certain degree, with much practice. Actually, it's not so much "ignoring" it, as it is "not acknowledging" it. There's a slight difference in those.

I say that you feel the pain in physical reality but have no need to place an emotion with if you choose not to so you can feel pain, think ok yes I can feel that and then I let it radiate out until it is nothing to be bothered about.

Dreams I do feel pain and its where I expect to feel it so an induced sensation by me but it still can hurt a lot
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Feb 2012 22:26

Peter wrote:Dreams I do feel pain and its where I expect to feel it so an induced sensation by me but it still can hurt a lot

I have lots of other physical sensations including touch and solid objects are always solid for me so far. I can't put my hands through a wall like some people do.

It's interesting that we can create pain, maybe because we think we are supposed to feel it. Apparently some of us choose not too for whatever reason.

I want to see if I can feel pain next time I have an LD. I'll hit my hand on something solid, but not so hard that it wakes me up!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Feb 2012 22:49

its a dream so try just looking at your finger and saying that you want to feel pain in a finger for a few seconds and see what happens (I have not tried this) it would seen that if its all perception and intent you should be able to so this.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 12 Feb 2012 23:40

Lucidinthe sky You're fortunate to have not felt pain. Does your not feeling pain include emotional pain or is it limited to physical pain? Pain unites all life and causes us to not just treat others as pieces of toilet paper. In real life if you did not feel it you would likely be a monster. Sooner or later you'll also have either a lucid nightmare or vivid nightmare in which you'll feel physical and mental pain, so there is no need to try to induce pain.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Feb 2012 16:58

Snaggle wrote:Lucidinthe sky You're fortunate to have not felt pain. Does your not feeling pain include emotional pain or is it limited to physical pain?

I have occasionally felt emotional pain in dreams, but much it's much more common for me to experience euphoria. Actually, I'm wondering if those who feel pain in dreams are more fortunate since it is part of the full spectrum of senses. It's strange to be feeling like I am missing something (pain of all things). Of course we know that pain is a useful thing to provide us with feedback which helps us correct problems in waking life, but what function does it serve in a dream?

Without what we consider to be negative emotions, we couldn't really experience the positive ones fully. Even though we consider pain a negative feeling, not having it is missing something. Just my personal beliefs here, but it's part of why we came here to experience all of it including pain.

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Feb 2012 20:01

I think that feeling pain in a dream is an important skill to be learnt, if you can feel pain in the dream then you may believe you can inflict pain or that a DC can feel pain and therefore build compassion and the respect for the dream characters that I feel is needed before you can move to deeper levels of dreaming.

If you keep destroying DC all the time how can they challenge you and assist you to grow in that realm. No different to daily life really except that you will be locking yourself into a one frame of reference

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 13 Feb 2012 21:00

Keep in mind that, some of those Dream Characters might also be random free floating consciousnesses all their own. I try to keep an open mind with everyone I meet, because sometimes it's really hard to know if they're a manifestation of my mind, or if they're an outside entity.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Feb 2012 23:25

Ryan wrote:Keep in mind that, some of those Dream Characters might also be random free floating consciousnesses all their own. I try to keep an open mind with everyone I meet, because sometimes it's really hard to know if they're a manifestation of my mind, or if they're an outside entity.

Yes, I agree. I never assume they are part of me, although psycologists say everything in a dream is part of yourself. I believe that consciousness exists outside of the human body and that we are connected to or can communicate with other consciousnesses on some level.

Peter wrote:I think that feeling pain in a dream is an important skill to be learnt, if you can feel pain in the dream then you may believe you can inflict pain or that a DC can feel pain and therefore build compassion and the respect for the dream characters that I feel is needed before you can move to deeper levels of dreaming.

Learning to feel pain in a dream may be valuable as part of full spectrum of feelings, but personally I am aware enough of the ability to inflict pain on someone else, dream or waking life. I put more effort into avoiding this than just about anything else and it is one of the most important things in my life. I would never consider inflicting pain on a DC just because I could. How could you really know who you were hurting?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”