North Korean Nightmare

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: North Korean Nightmare

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Dec 2014 05:26

Don't get me wrong; I see where the small minority of people who think Sony Picture's actions were justified are coming from. But they are on the wrong track of thinking. They are thinking not as humanists but as self-centered Americans.

The publication of "The Satanic Verses" was a milestone in global freedom of speech, but everyone seems to forget its lesson, and our discourse every time something like this happens is characterized by verbigeration and uselessness. In the wake of 9/11, Americans asked their government what they could do to resist the insidious victory of terror--and the government told them simply not to be afraid. To go out and buy things and go to the movies and have a nice dinner and keep the economy on its feet. Write a book if you like. But people have forgotten this as well, it seems. We're now willing to let terror win. That's what fundamentally terror is, you realize.

We cannot let people like the Kims get their way and be allowed to exert their dominion via threats upon the only ones who can take them down. We're so petrified of something bad happening to us elite, innocent civilians that we are ready to give in on a moment's notice--that's how decadent we've become. Meanwhile, North Koreans suffer and starve and die at the hands of the autocrats to whose power they (and now ourselves, apparently) give wholehearted consent. As a world superpower, we must have more responsibility and recognition of that responsibility than this. I'm an American. But I'm also a human. (Recently in Peshawar, Pakistan, the Taliban stormed a school and killed some 140 children. The immensity of such an atrocity would indeed be raised to insurmountable heights had the massacre taken place in America or Britain.) This method of appeasement has been tried and proven ineffective. Of the many examples I could list, I'm primarily thinking of the beginning of World War II, when Hitler was ravaging Europe while the Allied Powers, atrophied and lethargic as a result of the painful combination of guilt (for conclusions of WWI and the retribution Germany was subject to courtesy of France) and fear, adopted a policy of appeasement. They gave Hitler the artillery for his cannons, rather than immediately rallying together, mustering their courage, and assaulting him before he could get a foothold in European and otherwise soil.

I don't know about you all, but I think freedom of speech/public honesty/media reliability is of vital importance to a surviving and thriving society. We cannot be forced to stop saying things simply because someone says we shouldn't be saying them. We shouldn't be bullied into silent submission; we should state the whole truth, even if it kills us. What's more important than honesty and clarity? Lucidity to all, I say! When Marilyn Manson did musical tours, he would constantly get all sorts of bomb and shooting threats. But he went on the stage every time, and guess what? Nothing ever happened. Nine times out of ten, when someone issues a formal threat, it's an empty one. If you really were going to shot up a crowd, you wouldn't want to clue in the security so they can beef things up, would you? But if you knew a speaker was coming to your local university, and you wanted to avert his or her presence, issuing an empty threat would be a pretty easy way of making that happen. Not that I'm saying the threats Sony received are empty ... just something to think about...
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2014 17:20

jasmine2 wrote: I think Sony officials should have predicted that the comedy movie "The Interview", which involves a plot to assassinate Kim Jong-un, would certainly trigger huge threats and damage attempts from this unhinged despot.

No no no no no! Take heed of deschainXIX and also what I'm about to tell you... :mrgreen:

You are blaming the wrong side. You have practically just stated that freedom of expression can trigger bad things. You have just stated that if Sony and the cinemas were to go ahead and show the film, it would have been their fault that the terrorists carried out their strike. We cannot sustain this way of thinking as it means that we are being polite to people who don't deserve it and giving in to their demands.

Should Salman's Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" be censored? Should we all be deprived of Judas Priest's music because some unhinged individual read too much into the lyrics? Should Bambi be censored because some conspiracy theorists believe that the Illuminati conveys sinister subliminal messages to our children through Disney's animation? If we always had to tread carefully for fear that some nut might do something, nothing would ever get done. It would also mean that we would be allowing psychopathy and religion to triumph over humour. If this happens, we are truly doomed! :shock:

It has already been pointed out that "Team America" did a lot worse to Kim Jong-Il and nothing happened. And what about the fact that Kim Jong-un portrays Americans as hook-nosed monsters to his people? Do we see Americans getting offended? Should they? Kim Jong-un tells the world, "Do not laugh at me or you will be severely punished!" What is this horrible approach? And what kind of cowardice urges everyone to keep their mouths shut so that we don't upset the narcissistic dictator? :x

I would say that the noble approach is for people to be willing to die for freedom of expression. I have three kids and I do not want them to live in a world where we have to decide what ideas, art, and other forms of creativity are allowed to circulate because someone might get too upset. :idea:

I would just like to inform you that, while Mr. Obama is too busy playing down the threats by calling them "cyber-vandalism," Kim Jong-un has already accused America of orchestrating "The Interview" business as a pretext for some unknown end and that it doesn't matter because he will soon launch an attack "a thousand times worse." So much for the whole thing not being an act of war... :roll:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2014 19:44

North Korean propaganda is far worse than "The Interview".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1qR66gcLQ
"North Korea blows up White House in propaganda video"
(at around 2:50 minutes)
If you read the information about the video it tells more about it and what the content is, because it's all in Korean.

If anyone should cyber-terror anyone it should be Canada against South Park. ;)
Yet we in the civilized world would laugh at that idea. We can't give North Korea special treatment. They certainly don't deserve it.
Last edited by HAGART on 22 Dec 2014 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2014 20:00

And that is the difference between Canadians and North Koreans. The latter have been brainwashed to the extremes and the former are biding their time. :-D

I think North Korea has been airing enough material to warrant a nuclear strike on America's part. But the trouble is how many innocent people would die and how South Korea could be affected.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2014 20:15

We're still brooding over America's 1995 propaganda release, "Canadian Bacon".
But we will bide our time for now....

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2014 21:30

LOL! You do that for now! :mrgreen:

I can't believe the latest news! North Korea has just suffered a massive Internet outage and now there is speculation that this is part of the retaliation that President Obama alluded to. The United States will never admit to this but perhaps they got their own hackers to go to town on the Orwellian dystopia.

This is truly surreal! :o

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Dec 2014 00:44

I think we should at least assassinate the Kim family. Without going to war. That, at least, is totally warranted. Maybe some sort of mass strike really is in order, though. Things are heating up.
Well said.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 23 Dec 2014 01:29

Yeah, Americans could take out the North Korean government and assassinate the Dear Leader. If the US government is not responsible for what just happened there, then maybe America-loving hackers around the world are. Who knows. Obama still needs to keep an eye on Mr. Ronery's son.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Dec 2014 20:08

Now Sony will release the film: a little late, you are still cowards. And the availability is still very limited as a safety measure. Not good enough!

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Dec 2014 07:41

I didn't think much about the film but now I have been looking at North Korea under a microscope in my spare time. I think we should all raise awareness and see what's going on behind those borders.

When natural events strikes a nation the world comes together and caters to their needs, but if a dictator is a culprit, well what is the world to do? Diplomacy is a bitch.

That's my vent for the day, but I know I'm right.

Return to “Off-Topic”