Sleep Walking/Night Terrors

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
HAGART

Sleep Walking/Night Terrors

Postby HAGART » 12 Dec 2014 18:47

When I was younger around the ages of 5-12 in the prepubescent years I had a few episodes of Sleep Walking and Night Terrors.

I have some stories to tell, but I just wanted to start a thread with a simple, short introduction on the topic. I know others of you are out there just like me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Snaggle

Re: Sleep Walking/Night Terrors

Postby Snaggle » 13 Dec 2014 11:15

I have never slept walked or had night terrors :D
but...

* My sister suffered from sleep walking in which she not only walked but also drove her car around, when into stores and bought stuff.

* one of my nieces suffered from night terrors when she was age 3-5 but seems over them at age 6. she seemed to be awake when she had them but was not.

* I've heard of women having sex while sleep walking and some people murder while sleep walking
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Dec 2014 19:26

That is true that some have murdered while sleep walking. Thankfully, I never did that.

When it first happened to me, I woke up and had no recollection of it. My family had to tell me.
So apparently I was running around the house, bouncing into walls, screaming, "I feel like rubber!" It must have scared the pants of them. It was around Christmas and I wonder if eating too much sugar before bed caused it.

Another time I dreamed that I was fiddling with a Rubik's Magic Puzzle and broke it. The next morning it was on the floor in the living room... broken.

Night Terrors are different. I only had a few, and they always occurred mere moments after falling asleep. I would get a crazy, feverish delusional feeling that something really big, beyond my control was inexorably going to happen. Like a comet the size of the moon is going to crash into Earth, or that King Kong was real and coming to get me. I would be screaming and half asleep / half awake.

Thankfully I don't have them anymore.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Dec 2014 06:34

I had some scary sleep walking incidents when I was a teen but at no other times of my life. I dreamed I walked around the town.. I woke up suddenly to find myself NAKED (how Id gone to bed) OUTSIDE my home, trying to get in the door.

Could I really have sleep walked while naked right around my town?? (scary! I really hope I didnt do what I did in this dream). After that incident, I used to get my boyfriend to lock the door at night and hide the key!.

Another time I suddenly woke up to find myself in my kitchen about to pour boiling water (I'd boiled it while asleep) into a cup I was holding in my hand.. once again this was scary! I nearly drop the cup and boiling water as I woke up.

My eldest daughter was a far worst sleep walker then me. She started it younger too, her first incident was when she was 2 years old.

In the middle of one night, I found her doing like a moonwalk on the same spot at a wall. It looked surreal, both her legs were going but she was going nowhere. I still dont know how she was walking like that ..how does one walk on the spot without moving forward??, I wish I'd filmed it.

She had a severe night terror sleep walking incident when she 2 year. I was woken up during the night by her terrified screaming and found her, eyes wide open but looking throu me, huddled in a corner of her room, her arms up in defensive postures and moving as if warding off something I couldnt see. It was horrible, she wouldnt wake up, I shook her and everything but it was like I wasnt there to her.

When she was over the incident, I finally managed to wake her up and she told me she had a big monkey attacking her and who was trying to eat her. A while after that incident on TV (6-8mths? later), a documentary about Searching for a Yetis was on tv and she freaked out on seeing it, saying that is what attacked her in her dream that night (she could still clearly remember the dream she had, she's got a photographic memory). How does a 2 year old know about Yeti's to dream them?

Interesting the TV thing also said after she told me this, they were thought to be meat eaters. It all kind of creepy and I wondered if it was past life stuff when she'd had that night terror thing. (Im sure experienced past life stuff at times, she's remembered things which others remembered too from what they believe are other lives).

Her worst sleep walking incident, she got injured and could of been killed.

She went running while asleep throu the house as if being chased by something and went throu her bedroom window and cut all face up. Very fortunately there was a low bookshelf in front of it so it was only that which stopped her body going all the way throu the window in which there is a big drop onto concrete below (our house was on like stilts). She could of easily been killed.

I had fun with her a few times while she was asleep by asking her questions and she answers when she's asleep thou some of her answers were funny nonsense answers. Thou if I ask her something she would never want to tell me eg "have you done anything your mum wouldnt like lately?", it interestingly wakes her immediately up!

My other daughter never slept walked.

Im really surprised more people do not get injured by dreams. (actually this is something you probably should think about if you are a lucid dreamer as there is always the chance if you are a sleepwalker that you could also be acting out the dream).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Dec 2014 00:14

Interesting stories. Glad I never hurt myself from sleep walking, but have heard of people drowning, so yea, sleep walking can kill. On a lighter side there are some You Tube videos of people talking to sleep walkers which can be amusing, and there is even a sleep walking dog!

There was another time, close to age 12, I woke up and asked my mother, "Did I walk into your room last night?" I had a feeling I had slept walked and she confirmed it. Then I realized, I had gone to sleep wearing only a T-Shirt... :oops: Nothing else was spoken about it, but being 12 I was embarrassed. Let that be a lesson to sleep walkers... put some clothes on! :lol:

There was another time I had fallen asleep watching a late night movie with my brother, trying to stay awake but couldn't. He tried to awaken me and I immediately started fighting him, throwing punches and kicking. Then I came too and I had to apologize. I had no recollection of it except what my brother told me and our positions after I came to. I freaked him out!

taniaaust1 wrote: (actually this is something you probably should think about if you are a lucid dreamer as there is always the chance if you are a sleepwalker that you could also be acting out the dream).

I think about that often in my lucid dreams. When I first started getting lucid dreams that start from my own bed I thought I was lucid sleep walking. That'd be about 3 years ago. I knew I was asleep because things were out of place and just figured I was hallucinating and my actual body was truly walking around. But it has never moved an inch. I still think about that sometimes in dreams, and after all my actions I feel I will wake up on the floor. But I haven't sleep walked since I was about 12. As far as I know.....

Evacarey

Postby Evacarey » 20 Feb 2015 19:31

There is no known approach to totally counteract sleepwalking; notwithstanding, certain steps can be taken to minimize one's danger. These include:

Get satisfactory sleep.

Limit stress. Meditate or do relaxation exercises.

Avoid any kind of stimulation prior to bed time.
Sleep Paralysis Stories---> http://sleep-paralysis-info.com

Return to “Sleep Disorders”