Control

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Finch_Linus

Control

Postby Finch_Linus » 25 Dec 2014 18:40

I've been having dreams where the environment has been just like real life. The problem arises when I realise that I'm dreaming. I become lucid but I can't change things. I've tried to get rid of things, for example but simply cannot do that. Then because I have no control I begin to question if it is a dream and loose lucidity.

MercyStrange

Re: Control

Postby MercyStrange » 25 Dec 2014 22:19

How new are you to lucid dreaming? When I first started out I had this issue. I hear a lot of people saying that you really just have to Believe. If you don't think it'll happen, it won't. In my first or second lucid dream I recall trying to "will" my surroundings to change... I failed miserably. A couple months later, I did a little research and tried doing things that would make more sense and that I could really believe would work. I tried using a door as a portal, to bring me to a new scenery/setting. It worked, and that was the very first time I had a LONG lucid dream.That was only about a month ago, so I'm still pretty new to Lucid dreaming, but I find that using ways that make more sense, helps when you're not that experienced. Like, rather than looking at something and 'willing' it to change, try closing your eyes, or looking away, and EXPECT/BELIEVE that that thing will change when you look at it again. Or rather than 'willing' your surroundings to change, try using a door or mirror as a portal(I've never tried a mirror before, but i've heard a bunch of people do that). After i started doing this, I have no problem with changing things. I've even made objects appear, by simply looking for them, rather than trying to 'will' them to appear. I also tell myself in the dream, I'm in control and that helps me a lot. (:
I hope this helped.
"For a Dreamer, Night's The Only Time of Day."

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 27 Dec 2014 11:28

I agree with MercyStrange-work with the dream to make stuff happen not against it!
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Finch_Linus

Postby Finch_Linus » 29 Dec 2014 10:09

I had this again. I realised I was dreaming so tried to create a character. I closed my eyes and willed a person to be created in front of me. I saw a figure appear when I opened my eyes, but everything started fading and I was slowly sinking out of the world. After that I think I falsely awoke with sleep paralysis (it could have been real, but the position I was in was very strange). So, I tried to WILL it to happen. But hey... it didn't work. Any ideas?

Also, it seems when I learn I am dreaming it is a coin toss as to whether or not I will stay in the dream. Sometimes it gets ultra clear, others it fades into nothingness. Please help, thank you for reading this long post.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Dec 2014 12:52

Finch_Linus wrote:I had this again. I realised I was dreaming so tried to create a character. I closed my eyes and willed a person to be created in front of me. I saw a figure appear when I opened my eyes, but everything started fading and I was slowly sinking out of the world. After that I think I falsely awoke with sleep paralysis (it could have been real, but the position I was in was very strange). So, I tried to WILL it to happen. But hey... it didn't work. Any ideas?

It could of been too much of a shock to your normal waking mind to just make someone appear right in front of you even thou you shut your eyes or you may of tried too hard with this and hence helped wake you up (thou with sleep paralyses in a strange position it sounds like you were still dreaming but just lost the first dream you had). Note.. shutting ones eyes can disconnect a person from the current dream environment they are in and place then in another.. this may be what happened here and hence why you lost the other dream.

I also suggest to not take things so far out of your comfort zone if you keep loosing your LD, till you are more experienced with LD eg instead of shutting eyes and creating something in front of you, it may be more in your comfort zone to just have a DC walk in from another room.

Dont even try too hard to do this, just think of someone you know and think of them being in the other room and that they are going to just walk into where you are... or just think that a little boy, girl (or whatever) is going to walk in. You dont even have to think how they look like. Stay very relaxed about it, dont try too hard.

Anyway, be aware you may change the whole environment you are in by shutting your eyes in the dream.. and in this case it seems to be what caused you to find yourself then in a dream of being sleep paralysed, you shut eyes and disconnected from your previous dream self. So hence I suggest to next time create your DC by the example Ive just given (that way you dont have to shut eyes and the current dream environment you've found yourself in can remain strong).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Dec 2014 12:59

Finch_Linus wrote:Also, it seems when I learn I am dreaming it is a coin toss as to whether or not I will stay in the dream. Sometimes it gets ultra clear, others it fades into nothingness. Please help, thank you for reading this long post.

That can be great practice for WILD entries and reentries. Just immediately focus back on a part of the dream which it was still strong in (before you started loosing it).. imagine back being back at that point again in which the dream was still stable. Recreate it, what was before you, how you felt etc. Dont let yourself be bothered by dropping out.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”