How can I trigger a False Awakening?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

How can I trigger a False Awakening?

Postby DesertExplorer » 24 Dec 2014 21:30

I have read a lot of things about it, but nothing seems to help me. I had three at one night for the first time (that I can remember) and nothing since then. Do I have to sleep certain hours or what? :?:
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Re: How can I trigger a False Awakening?

Postby MercyStrange » 25 Dec 2014 22:42

I can't really give you a straight forward answer, because everyone's different, but I have a lot of false awakenings after trying the WILD method for lucid dreaming. I almost always wake up in my bedroom with WILD, and sometimes, right after i realize i'm dreaming, i 'wake up' again, only to find i'm still dreaming. This only happens a few times, if I don't really focus though. Once, a couple years ago, I fell asleep in the living room, and when i woke up, it was dark and there was this weird creature in front of me that was translucent. It came about a foot away from me, and I woke up. I saw it again, and this repeated for about 5 or 6 times. That was before I started Lucid dreaming, but that was one of the reasons I started(it scared the crap out of me). But yeah, That's what triggers false awakenings for me a lot.
Hope that helped somewhat.
"For a Dreamer, Night's The Only Time of Day."

Re: How can I trigger a False Awakening?

Postby HAGART » 29 Dec 2014 10:03

If you are already lucid dreaming a false awakening is quite easy. Just lay back and 'sleep' in the dream.

As for spontaneous ones, I would say, go to sleep with an urge to wake up. Like you have to get up to go to school or take out the trash but you are tired so you sleep, but in the back of your mind you know you have to wake up. (Those are based on real experience I've had)

So based on that, I guess having an impending alarm should work. Set an alarm, give yourself a few hours after you wake back to bed, and just sleep again. But keep that knowledge of the impending alarm in the back of your mind and it just might work. I know that has happened too from experience by accident. When I set an alarm, I make a 'mental alarm' as well, and it tends to induce false awakenings.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”