Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby V1tk1 » 01 Nov 2014 06:31

Hi there! I'm pretty new to lucid dreaming and I've been experiencing a mildly frustrating hurdle here. I've read and started a dream journal, and in the past 2 weeks, have gotten my dream recall to 3-4 dreams a night. Sometimes 5 or 6, others 1 or zero. Anyway, the past week or so, I've been trying to become lucid. What is really convenient is my wife's work schedule. She wakes up at 4am to get ready for work. I wake up with her, read a little or do something physical (like take garbage out), and then go back to sleep. While falling asleep (both at the beginning at end of the night) I affirm that I am dreaming and that I will become lucid. I've done each step that I've read from every source. I am also aware that this kind of lucid dream is WILD. I've yet to realize i'm dreaming before i wake up at 4am, no matter how much I affirm and try. I am still trying, though. Now, my problem...

When I dream in the early morning, I usually realize that I am dreaming. Excellent, time to become lucid. I've read from multiple sources that a very good way to become lucid is to inspect your hand so that all the detail will pop out. So, every time I attempt to become lucid (and this has happened at least 7 or 8 times in the last week, sometimes 2 or 3 times a night/morning)...I stare at my hand...and there is an intense pressure in my forehead, face, and eyes. It's almost painful, but more so, distracting. I break my focus which leaves me in a state that I would call semi lucid. I'm aware that I am dreaming, but everything is still hazy and dreamlike with cuts in continuity and lapse in consciousness.

What is this pressure? Why am I experiencing it? What can I do to rid myself of it? Is this common? Is this just sleep paralysis that I feel the exact same way, every time?

Thanks in advance..

Thought Paradox

Postby Thought Paradox » 23 Nov 2014 03:10

So I had my first lucid dream after about three nights of trying, but it was strange. I woke up immediately after the lucid dream ended, and it lasted about 30 seconds or so. The strange part though, was how I felt in the dream. I felt separated and disconnected. it seemed that I only had a sense of the parts of my body I was thinking about. For instance i could only feel my hands when I rubbed them together and dunked them into a swimming pool, and my feet only seemed to appear when I was walking. Also in trying to recall the dream I can only recall it in small parts. I'm fairly certain it was lucid but I'm also not too sure I was completely aware in the dream that it was lucid, or if I did not for very long. Anyway though I didn't expect to have one this early in trying and my dream recall is poor, so i'm just wondering if these problems are related to me not grounding myself to the dream properly, poor dream recall, semi lucidness, or a combination so if anyone with more experience can relate that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Postby PKJacker » 23 Nov 2014 03:51

I felt separated and disconnected. it seemed that I only had a sense of the parts of my body I was thinking about. For instance i could only feel my hands when I rubbed them together and dunked them into a swimming pool, and my feet only seemed to appear when I was walking.

If you want a body you pretty much have to focus on the whole body for it to form.
When you have some spare time in real life, just take a moment and focus on all the parts of your body and try to see how long you can focus on all of them. Doing this will help you build your awareness of the body and make it easier to form it easier in dreams.
Three steps from bliss.

Postby haz4dreamer » 01 Jan 2015 05:06

Im still trying to lucid dream and its been around 2 weeks.
i only started my dream journal 2 days ago and its only a few sheets of paper, do i need an actual journal?
i have been trying the mild method and reality checks but i am yet to do one in my dream.
Is there any tips for doing it in my dream?
also i have trouble keeping to the 'i am going to be aware of my dreams' thought. i easily get side tracked.
i also have trouble releasing tension. the only time i ever felt completely relaxed was in a drama meditation thing we did at school. the teacher started off by telling us to stretch one of our toes as far and as hard as we could. she then made us do it for each toe, then all of them together, than she started with the other foot doing the same thing. by the end we stretched our whole body at the same time. it just doesn't work the same when i try it. anyway during this meditation thing, i imagined myself floating out my body, i believed it, i think i was slipping into a dream consciously, the world around me changed only a little bit colours and stuff, but i think if i had the time i could have done it. but the class had to move on and the noise distracted me.
i want to know how i can relax myself like that again, without my thoughts wondering away and distracting me.
also this is a random thought. but can you lucid dream and have a wet dream at the same time.

Postby astrovineyard » 29 Jan 2015 05:30

haz4dreamer wrote:also this is a random thought. but can you lucid dream and have a wet dream at the same time.

I respond knowing there is a risk of this slipping into sexual topics so I'll keep it clean and the details few. But at least in my case I had this happen exactly once. (Interesting that in my case I've had several novel experiences that seem to have lasted their durations precisely because they were new and took me by surprise. I can never seem to willfully duplicate them, as if wishing and anticipation was a preventative measure.)

I can't say that I was in control when it happened, but I was definitely lucid. In fact I wasn't sure if I was asleep or awake! Either way the phenomenon defied explanation.

Basically, this happened when I was 15 or so. After waking up one morning I just lay there outstretched, relaxing, not intending to fall back asleep. But then I seemed to suddenly enter a sort of trance, like I entered another dimension, becoming slightly heavier, that sort of thing, but no fear at all. My mind was racing the whole time analyzing the condition I was in, certain that I was still awake. I wasn't sure if I was paralyzed or not but didn't dare try to move, thinking that if I did that I might and it would end the intriguing event. Eventually this condition caused my heart to suddenly start pounding faster and harder, as if scared or running, like a jolt of adrenaline, so it made no sense. I felt waves of energy emanating from my chest.

All of this culminated with - keeping this as clinical and mature as possible - sensing my physical state change to one of full tumescence, all with no visual, dream or other stimuli or knowable reason, further followed automatically by the series of pulsations associated with such nocturnal emissions. I opened my eyes. It really happened.

So, I know it is anecdotal, but it happened to me! And I think I've read elsewhere of people claiming to lucidly cause wet dreams. I don't think I can, and the one time it did I must repeat that I was not in control, just an observer of my body involuntarily supplying me with sensations and a physical reaction.

The issue is stranger than that, though, because obviously one of the activities one may elect to attempt in a lucid state is the enactment of fantasies, sexual and otherwise. But, I don't know what makes the difference between it being JUST an erotic dream vs. a physical emission. A similar condition exists when you dream of urinating but in reality do not - except, of course, for those times people confess that unfortunately such a dream can actually result in a real accident. I suppose step one is control your lucidity and dream content. I have a hard time doing that voluntarily. So step two - making your body physically respond to the dream content - is another issue. Perhaps there is no way to guarantee step two, but step two can't happen* without first providing it with the lucid state of step one.

*Well, even that is not true since obviously one can experience non-lucid garden-variety nocturnal emissions.

I am surprised that I haven't read the so-called incubus/succubus connection. Historically I read that these mischievous beings were responsible BOTH for sleep paralysis AND wet dreams. But other than the legend and fact that they both occur in REM sleep, I don't know if there is any real connection, or even the statistics that if you regularly experience one phenomenon that you are more likely to also experience the other (or perhaps vice-versa).

Postby TheDude » 02 Feb 2015 13:35

What are some easy ways to improve dream recall? It has improved since I started my dream journal but it could still use some help.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by TheDude on 03 Feb 2015 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.”
- Walt Disney

Postby Shapeshifters » 03 Feb 2015 11:12

Hi everyone! I'm new to LD and new to this forum! I just seem to have some trouble with dream recall, and hope that someone could help me out. I started reading about lucid dreaming about a week ago, I've always had some interest in the dream world anyway. after the first night of trying to become lucid, or trying to recall call my dream I could remember a very vivid dream in all detail. The next day went even better, I could recall 2 dreams. But after that I can't seem to remember anything at all! I have a dream journal, I do 10 reality check every day and the last thought I have before snoozing away is either 'I will become lucid' or 'I will remember my dreams'. I also started waking up 6 hours after I fall asleep so I could target the REM cycle. Any suggestions as to why I can't remember my dreams?

Postby MoOmek » 04 Feb 2015 22:44

Hey, I´m beginner in lucid dreaming and new to this forum, so sory if this question was anwsered many times, I just couldn´t find it anywhere.

1. I want to know if lucid dreams can affect real life?

I started writting a book and i came to a block in my head so i know about 40% story in a book, but because this block I´m stuck and dont know how to continue... Can I find answers in lucid dream?

Or somthing like that, you love some girl and girl don´t love you back in real life, but in lucid dreams you two can be together. Can you "send the waves" to her in real life so she can love you, like she does in lucid. Or can you get some anwsers on how to do it in real life?

2. Can you reprogram your subconscious mind to attract things in real life?

ex. In lucid dream, you make your own life like you want it in reality. Can you find your guide in lucid dreams and help you to make it work in real life? Can this guide or whatever you call it show you the steps on how to achieve your goals in real life?

I hope you guys understand my questions :D
And thank you for anwsers

Postby astrovineyard » 05 Feb 2015 03:58

I don't know if any of that is true. Honestly, I don't really care that much. My reasons are purely for nostalgia and experimentation. I don't know if I'd call them "cool" exactly because they were so scary, but part of me feels like I escaped some fear and would like to see how I'd react if I encountered it again. Part of me thinks because I'm so much older now that it will never be as scary or terrifyingly inescapable, but who knows. I'm just hoping I can get to that place again, which I always stumbled on so easily and accidentally.

If I were to hope that it held some higher significance and make my life better in some other way then I'd be putting too many expectations on it. I don't want to be so let down if it doesn't happen.

Postby shyamissac » 28 Feb 2015 14:34

Hello i am new to here. I don't know if it is a normal or not(it may be unrelated). I remember my dreams almost everyday(or a part of it). Is this normal?. And if i think(or see) about something or someone(or a topic discussed between friends) they usually come in my dream(irrespective of how much time i spend the time on that and i think it has these grab my attention) on the same day. Is this normally what everybody experience?
can you please tell me about this?
Thanks in advance..

Return to “For Beginners”