IS SANTA CLAUS A SHAMAN?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
jasmine2

IS SANTA CLAUS A SHAMAN?

Postby jasmine2 » 24 Dec 2014 21:06

Almost everyone in our society is very familiar with the Christmas character, Santa Claus, the magic gift-giver, but his shamanic roots are little known.

First, I'll briefly note some historical influences contributing to Santa lore, based on reference to the interesting Wikipedia article "Santa Claus".

- The 4th century Greek Bishop, Saint Nicholas, gave gifts to the poor.

- In pre-Christian Germany, the mid-winter Yule celebration featured a great burning Yule log, singing, drinking and feasting. During this period, The Wild Hunt was believed to occur - "a ghostly procession through the sky" - led by the god Odin (meaning long-beard).

- In The Netherlands, Sinterklass became "the predominant gift-giver", in December.

- In England, Father Christmas dates back to the reign of Henry VIII.

- In the 1800's, more Christmas tales appeared, describing St. Nick as a plump "jolly old elf", who delivered gifts from his sleigh pulled by reindeer.

- Santa Clause dressed in red and white was used in drink advertisements by White Rock Beverages, and later (beginning in the 1930's) by Coca-Cola.
--------
Now, regarding the shamanic roots of Santa Claus, I refer first to the article -
- "The Shamanic Origins Of Santa Claus, Reindeer, Pine Trees, And ... Mushrooms?" - - shamanswell.org
"Many of the traditions we see across the world that are tied to the Christmas holidays have surprising similarity to the ancient traditions of Siberian Shamans."

"The Tungus are Russian indigenous people who live in the arctic circle (North Pole) and are reindeer herders." Shamans in this society often eat the (rather toxic) hallucinogenic mushroom, Amanita muscaria, also known as Fly Agaric, to induce their visionary trance journeys. This type of mushroom grows around the roots of conifer/pine trees. These mushrooms are red and white, and many Siberian shamans use these colors on their ceremonial jackets.

The mushrooms are dried in socks hung up around the fire to dry. After heavy snows, the shaman may have to enter community homes through the roof smoke hole.

The book - "Shamanism: Archaic Techniques Of Ecstasy" by Mircea Eliade, is a great (scholarly) shamanic reference source.

It seems to me that the following elements are frequently associated with both Santa Claus and shamans, with some exceptions.

- KINDNESS, generosity, support for positive ethical behaviors and congenial social relationships are attitudes Shamans and Santa both share.

-Both characters "travel and do unique work" in "THE IMAGINAL REALM", the liminal, "dreaming awake" state between ordinary awareness and unconscious sleep, in which non-ordinary experiences of consciousness can occur.

- Both "magicians" FLY WITH THE HELP OF THEIR MAGIC ANIMAL ALLIES, transcending the ordinary limitations of time and space.

Many readers of this forum have experienced flying in lucid dreams.
The following article includes many useful suggestions for developing or improving this flying ability.
- "Some Secrets To Moving And Flying In Lucid Dreams" - by Robert Waggoner - Lucid Dream Exchange - 2007 - dreaminglucid.com

- Shamans and Santa Clause both have CONJURING, TELEPATHIC, AND PRECOGNITIVE abilities. Santa knows what gifts people want, where they live, and if they've been naughty or nice, and he and his elves magically conjure up millions of gifts.

- HEALING ABILITIES are usually not attributed to Santa Claus, other than his association with a loving heart, a festive atmosphere, and imaginative play.

However, psycho/physical healing is often a fundamental shamanic skill. Many shamans have extensive, scientifically verified, knowledge about healing plants.

A genuine shaman frequently attains his unusual talents while suffering from a serious, often life-threatening, illness. His new spirit allies and a human guide may assist him some to overcome his illness, but he mostly has to draw upon his own strength and insight to heal himself, thereby gaining the ability to heal others.

The shaman, in his trance journeys, often finds and retrieves "lost souls", parts of his patients' psyches and life energy which have been suppressed or blocked by negative life experiences and influences.

The following article includes interesting information about dream healing.
- "A Look At Lucid Dreams And Healing" by Robert Waggoner - Lucid Dream Exchange - 2003 - dreaminglucid.com

This article includes a wise, insightful discussion about how to dialog with parts of the personality that have been "disowned", with the assistance of "The Inner Self-Helper" (Larger Self).
- "The Larger Self - by Richard Schwartz, Ph.D. - selfleadership.org

- FIRE WALKING -
Many, but not all shamans practice fire walking. Santa Clause moves unharmed through fire places and chimneys.

Here is an interesting radio podcast.
- "The Mother Of Fire Walking - An Interview With Peggy Dylan" - the shamanic voice.podbean.com

- WORLD AXIS -
Santa Claus lives at the North Pole.
- Search - "Picture Taken By NASA Of The Northern Lights From Space" -
-the memesfactory.org
This is a view of the complete, circular corona of magic aurora borealis light around the magnetic north pole.

Many shamans, in their rituals, may climb a pole or tree, symbolizing "The Tree Of Life", and the central organizing World Axis, which penetrates the lower realm (land of the dead/unconscious mind) , middle realm (ordinary reality), and upper (higher spiritual) realms of the shamans consciousness.

- Santa Claus and shamans are attuned to the SEASONAL CYCLES. Santa Claus appears at the time of the winter solstice, when the sun retreats and then is "reborn", which closely coincides with the yearly Christian celebration of the birth of baby Jesus, symbolizing psycho/spiritual renewal.

The use of Yuletide evergreen trees and garlands, symbolizing eternal life, can be traced back to many ancient societies.
The circular shape of wreaths and spherical ornaments are variations of mandalas, which symbolize psycho/spiritual balance and wholeness.

-- THE TREE WITH THE LIGHTS IN IT --
Shamans and Santa Clause, by means of their miraculous abilities, stimulate the imagination regarding the hidden, dream-like, dimensions of life.

I'll end this (long) post with an excerpt from the book -
- "Pilgrim At Tinker Creek" by Annie Dillard.

Following is a description by the author of her profound experience of an expanded state of perception, in which she "saw" the luminous energy in the natural world.

- "When the doctor took her bandages off and led her out into the garden, the girl who was no longer blind saw 'the tree with the lights in it'. It was for this tree I searched through the peach orchards of summer, in the forests of fall and down winter and spring for years. Then one day I was walking along Tinker Creek thinking of nothing at all and I saw the tree with the lights in it. I saw the backyard cedar where the mourning doves roost, charged and transfigured, each cell buzzing with flame. I stood on the grass with the lights in it that was wholly fire, utterly focused and utterly dreamed. It was less like seeing than being for the first time seen, knocked breathless by a powerful glance. The lights of the fire abated, but I'm still spending the power. Gradually the lights went out of the cedar, the colors died, the cells unflamed and disappeared. I was still ringing. I had my whole life been a bell, and never knew it until that moment I was lifted and struck. I have since only rarely seen the tree with the lights in it. The vision comes and goes, mostly goes, but I live for it, for the moment when the mountains open and a new light roars in spate through the crack, and the mountains slam."
-----
Especially at Christmas time, when I'm happily gazing, sometimes rather mesmerized, at a Christmas tree full of beautiful colored lights, I often remember Annie Dillard's evocative visionary experience, and some intuitive part of me feels a deep desire to stretch my perception - to somehow "see" and feel interconnected with the dynamic, creative, energy/essence which pulses in all things and all beings, including myself.

- Joy to the world. - Peace on Earth.
- jasmine2

nesgirl

Re: IS SANTA CLAUS A SHAMAN?

Postby nesgirl » 24 Dec 2014 22:24

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Dec 2014 00:51

This is just pattern-seeking and making associations where there are none. Santa is a myth for children. The tall and exaggerated tales of magic and wonderment may have their roots in the real but mundane actions of a charismatic bishop that lived in the Middle Ages, but what children hear today is nothing but an old fantasy embellished by mysticism.

The man that rides flying reindeer in the sky and lives in the North Pole is simply not real. It just happens to be a beautiful concept for the young and naive. There is no use in speculating whether or not Santa was a shaman or a sorceror because he simply isn't real to begin with.

Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho! :-D
[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 25 Dec 2014 14:29

Almost everyone in our society is very familiar with the Christmas character, Santa Claus, the magic gift-giver, but his shamanic roots are little known.

First, I'll briefly note some historical influences contributing to Santa lore, based on reference to the interesting Wikipedia article "Santa Claus".

Chances of this being true are very close are zero.

The 4th century Greek Bishop, Saint Nicholas, gave gifts to the poor.

Nice...image Red Dwarf's Kryten..except he was a Lycian not a Greek. Lycia is the western most big hump of Turkey pointing south. It's possible the Lycians were the Trojans. And no Summerland, the 4th century is not the Middle Ages, it's the Migration Period even if one wishes to combine the Middle Ages and Dark Ages. The Middle ages in England are: the from the Battle of Hastings/Senlac (1066) to the Battle of Bosworth field (1485).

In pre-Christian Germany, the mid-winter Yule celebration featured a great burning Yule log, singing, drinking and feasting. During this period, The Wild Hunt was believed to occur - "a ghostly procession through the sky" - led by the god Odin (meaning long-beard).

Yes, the Christmas tree and Celebration were Germanic in origin. It's very doubtful that the ancient Germans were Shamans, even when Shamanism had spread to Scandinavia it was despised and thought unmanly. Yule is really a harvest celebration as both all the grains/corns have harvested and stored and the big animals slaughtered and stored too = there was no work to be done and there was plenty of food and drink - party time!

Oden means "the furious one). He's the God of death, war, magic and deception and seeing the "Great Hunt" was an omen one was going to die - Yay Valhalla (Hall of the Slain) or a time of tears for those doomed to die "Straw deaths" and go to down to be with the goddess Hell. No connection to Santa here.

In The Netherlands, Sinterklass became "the predominant gift-giver", in December

Yes this is the origin of Santa as the Dutch were very common in Colonial America; but no connection to Shamanism here.

In England, Father Christmas dates back to the reign of Henry VIII

The vile Henry and the English Father Christmas had no influence on own Santa, nor do either show a connection to Shamanism.

In the 1800's, more Christmas tales appeared, describing St. Nick as a plump "jolly old elf", who delivered gifts from his sleigh pulled by reindeer.

- Santa Clause dressed in red and white was used in drink advertisements by White Rock Beverages, and later (beginning in the 1930's) by Coca-Cola.

No connection to shamanism again.

The Tungus are Russian indigenous people who live in the arctic circle (North Pole) and are reindeer herders." Shamans in this society often eat the (rather toxic) hallucinogenic mushroom, Amanita muscaria, also known as Fly Agaric, to induce their visionary trance journeys. This type of mushroom grows around the roots of conifer/pine trees. These mushrooms are red and white, and many Siberian shamans use these colors on their ceremonial jackets.

The mushrooms are dried in socks hung up around the fire to dry. After heavy snows, the shaman may have to enter community homes through the roof smoke hole.

No possible connection to Santa!

One one lives in the Arctic Circle. The Tungus live taiga (the conniferous belt of trees).

Both characters "travel and do unique work" in "THE IMAGINAL REALM", the liminal, "dreaming awake" state between ordinary awareness and unconscious sleep, in which non-ordinary experiences of consciousness can occur.

Lol, no Santa does not even if one treats him as "real".

Shamans and Santa Clause both have CONJURING, TELEPATHIC, AND PRECOGNITIVE abilities. Santa knows what gifts people want, where they live, and if they've been naughty or nice, and he and his elves magically conjure up millions of gifts.

The NSA elves worked for Santa first before they became orcs ;) , as reasonable a statement as yours.

The use of Yuletide evergreen trees and garlands, symbolizing eternal life, can be traced back to many ancient societies.
The circular shape of wreaths and spherical ornaments are variations of mandalas, which symbolize psycho/spiritual balance and wholeness.

-- THE TREE WITH THE LIGHTS IN IT --
Shamans and Santa Clause, by means of their miraculous abilities, stimulate the imagination regarding the hidden, dream-like, dimensions of life.

More New Age pseudo-historical babbling. The Germanic pagans did not believe in "eternal life" not even for the gods -see Ragnarok, may you die no straw death, but die with Oden at Ragnarok creating the golden age with you death = Merry Christmas.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 01 Jan 2015 11:47

Happy new year, may it be a good one for all of you and may you keep your resolutions.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 02 Jan 2015 08:59

Happy New Year to all!

I'd like to make a couple of additions to my original post - "Is Santa Claus A Shaman?"
The first two items refer to interesting down-to earth information about snow sleighs and reindeer herding.

- Search article - "19th Century Sleighs" by Anita Mae Draper - inkwellinspiration.com
The 2 "Albany Cutter" sleighs look very spiffy.
Included is a link to a YouTube video about sleighs.

- YouTube video - "Chauchu Documentary Film" - Reindeer Herders - in the far north-eastern Chutoka region of Siberia -- (45:13 min.)
(I mostly muted the dialog and read the sub titles.)

This film is about a small band of 12 nomads on their yearly journey with a large reindeer herd to reindeer moss grazing lands. Powered snow track trucks assist briefly. Then, it's very interesting to observe the group members as they live their daily (arduous) lives, living in animal skin shelters on the frozen tundra, and managing a long convoy of reindeer-pulled sleds. There is a cute toddler, Karina, all bundled up in furs. I think reindeer moss is used for "diaper duty" in primitive arctic conditions.

- In closing, I pay respects to the imaginal realm (traveled by lucid dreamers, shamans, and Santa Claus), with reference to the following magic being -

- Google - "Image for - Huichol Indian deer god offers life" - The half-man, half-deer, spirit guide, Cauyumarie, offers his life ... peyote, which gives vision and energy. - A yarn painting by Jose Benitez Sanchez

- Best Wishes - jasmine2

Return to “Off-Topic”