Erratic Thoughts When Dozing Off

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Erratic Thoughts When Dozing Off

Postby HAGART » 05 Jan 2015 21:39

I only had 5 hours sleep, and a few hours later, I could barely keep them open. They would cross over, and my eyelids would fall and I just couldn’t stay awake. I decided to simply relax and let whatever enter my mind, enter my mind and not sleep, but simply rest. An odd thing happens when I do this. I start to see and hear things.

It’s not quite the Hypnagogic Imagery I’ve heard others have. Perhaps It’s just the beginning of Hypnagogia without strong visual or audio sensations building up yet. I did see and hear things that I recorded, but let me explain how. Close your eyes and imagine a cookie in your mind right now. I don’t see it, but I know it’s there. Now picture a dog. Now picture the dog eating the cookie. Things can be stationary or move and it’s not visual, yet you still know it’s there. That’s what the visuals were like, yet slightly more vivid and almost like an after image on my retinas. I could even get a sense of the place too which I ‘just knew’, but couldn’t see. (Much like a dream)

As for the sound, I didn’t hear it vividly in my ears. It was my own inner voice. I go most of my day with an internal running commentary and dialogue with myself and that’s my inner voice. But it started to have a mind of its own! And it would even change in to different people. (Much like Dream Characters)

I have this happen quite a bit and it can become a weird, confusing show to watch and get lost in. Remaining aware during it, and reminding yourself you are dreaming, should bring you into a more vivid hypnagogic state. I always lose it though and get wrapped up in it like my mind is going off on its own!

(I have experienced Hypnagogic Imagery, but only when I wake up and sleep again right away a.k.a. Dream Chaining)

So for your amusement and to get an idea of what I’m talking about here are 5 things I ‘saw’ and ‘heard’ that I recorded, in the order they happened, after hearing them in my head, and jotting them down right away, word for word, and describing the ‘image’ to the best of my ability. Then I would close my eyes again and start over. If I didn’t write them down there is no way I would have remembered them. Experiment for yourself

NOTE: I use to word ‘screen’ because it’s kind of like a TV screen and images are not always centered.

(In my voice): “Fadoopa.”
Image: Chubby woman’s leg kicks a Soccer ball on the right side of ‘screen’.

(Male voice):”Well, I don’t care. I’m going out for my ankles.”
Image: Angled view from behind as he climbed in the front seat of a pickup truck, looking and talking to a person behind me.

(Male voice sounding giddy with one hand over his mouth like comedian, Jeremy Hotz):
“Well, that sounds OK. I can barely even see him.”

Image: He is on a couch, feels like Christmas day in a living room, he is referring to a person behind him in the upper right corner of the ‘screen’.

(Raspy male voice): “He who has the right to wrong… (pause)… has the right to live”.
Image: Just a face, no mouth movement, taking up only a quarter of the ‘screen’, centered, bottom, with a disheveled beard and hat and felt like a character in a Western.

(My grandmother’s voice after hearing incomprehensible jibber-jabber got strong and I heard):
“I’m done. I HAVE to demo it.”

Image: View of scissors from behind cutting cloth downward. My grandmother was cutting it, but she was off ‘screen’, and she was talking to my mother and it had to do with sewing and something she was making.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

buildit

Re: Erratic Thoughts When Dozing Off

Postby buildit » 05 Jan 2015 22:08

Sounds like a screen play for a Quentin Tarantino movie. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jan 2015 22:22

Or lyrics for a Beatles song! ;)

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Jan 2015 22:27

Things can be stationary or move and it’s not visual, yet you still know it’s there.

All normal for some degree of sleep deprevatoin and the images are how I entertain myself a lot of the time. Really easy to get to WILD from there but can be totally instant so keep at it

5 hours - that a big nights sleep, harden up :twisted:
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jan 2015 23:41

I did start to almost doze off and get more vivid imagery, which can often lead to me jolting awake when you get that feeling of falling. Then I focus on my breathing and try again and it get's stronger and I can get past that 'falling' sensation. Then it can become much more realistic. But still hard to remain lucid if you are so dead tired as I was. But I purposefully didn't want to sleep and make note of the strange things I saw and heard in detail.

As for the 5 hours sleep. My normal routine is to sleep for 5 hours and then WBTB for another 3 hours. So it was like my mind was going into 'sleep mode' because that's what it was use to. I can handle 5 hours if I wanted to. I'm not a wuss! :lol:

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Jan 2015 02:40

Ha, ok I believe....

Its fun playing with exhaustion and those points where the mind starts to try to take over. I get that jolt most night after about 20 minutes on my back and its that jump into sleep a lot of the time, I dont manage to catch it that often as I am too tired to observe it.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jan 2015 04:05

I came back to edit my post. I realize you were saying LESS than 5 hours sleep. For me 5 is my limit. Less than that and my brain turns to mush and can't use it for the rest of the day. Besides, some of us need our beauty sleep, so I might be a wuss, but at least I look good. 8-)

But back on topic, anybody reading this and wanting to experiment for themselves, be very tired and try to notice everything your mind is doing. It helps to be in a chair and not in your bed because you will simply roll over and sleep. Don't plan to sleep, but simply observe and see for yourself how erratic your mind can get and how it seems to just 'take over' with thoughts of it's own. Observe, but also try to stay alert. Comment on them. "That was neat!", "Wonder what that meant?", "Where did that thought come from?". Keep a slight focus on something in reality perhaps something resting on your foot and that should, quite literally, ground you in reality as you are going through it because it keeps a small level of focus, in that back of your mind, on your waking body. I was in a recliner so I don't know how I would MacGyver something to do that, and I've never actually done it before, but it sounds like it should work, or something similar to keep your focus on 'this side of reality' before it flips. It could be anything really and I'm open to ideas.

I am no expert on hypnagogia, but this practice should be a good start for beginners to get a taste of what it's like. I'm actually quite the beginner myself when it comes this aspect of having a WILD.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Jan 2015 09:03

I could never get enough beauty sleep to make a difference so will just have to be as I am for better or worse.

As well as commenting you can direct the images, ask in the same way but ask for them to change for you. Get bigger, smaller or brighter and then just ask for change. At that point it becomes clear that they are visual thoughts and will either run in a random way or change with a request of a specific nature or just change if that is what you want.

An old trick, hold up your arm or hand while doing this and if you go to sleep it will fall and wake you.
You can get a heap of WILD attempts in this way

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jan 2015 19:09

Holding your arm up or clenching something that will fall and make a sound on the floor when you doze off to wake you up again sounds like a good training tool. Not for a lucid dream but LUCID HYPNAGOGIA training. And you can simply start over and do it again and again and build up practice. Before one can master a Wake Induced Lucid Dream it's important to practice the steps and build a foundation of skills. If you could remain lucid during hypnagogia a WILD should come naturally in time.

Last night, I was dozing off and my mind suddenly said this in a woman's voice. The closest comparison would be Bernadette from the show, Big Bang Theory:

"We didn't need anything that's the price we made"

(all one sentence and no pause)
It seems random but almost makes sense too. 8-)

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Jan 2015 22:30

If you could remain lucid during hypnagogia a WILD should come naturally in time.

That is the key, HI is the light sleep stage and when it gets solid you might notice that you lose you sense of hearing (external) and drop into a quiet place. That is the onset of REM and you are there its just holding it that is hard.

Its a great place to play and there are so many jumps in awareness from there. Images, sounds, solid HD scenes and DVD quality short clips that you can watch.

Its my TV and where I spend a lot of time, for me its almost instant each time I close my eyes and look for it and you captured it well when you say you see without seeing

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”