Self-doubt or Simply Impossible

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
hewber

Self-doubt or Simply Impossible

Postby hewber » 26 Dec 2014 17:37

Back in the 90's I studied LeBerge's book and followed the work at Stanford, got a mask, a pillow mike, and meditated hard on becoming lucid. Lost lots of sleep trying and only once flew in a dream, lasting seconds before ending up grasping the ledge of a skyscraper, only to awaken. I had worked a couple decades on dream journals, aka Jung. I felt I made deep inroads in dreams toward archetypal levels, but wondered if it conditioned my mind (perhaps already opposed to becoming lucid) to "believe" the dream state "as is," rather than question it....in the dream itself as it unfolded. Questions arose like: how could I be dreaming anything? As if the dream activity was the brain itself. What was I to the whole process?
In any event, I aborted my efforts out of fatigue and frustration. Until recently, when I came upon more recent works and dream products like Lucidimine and Huperzine. So I tried Lucidimine: one upon waking during the night, then two. I had more recall, but no lucid hints at all. I repeated the questioning during the day. Then I tried Lucidimine before going to sleep. I also hinted by day to use threats to safety in dreams to trigger an event. Last night I had to stomp scorpions under foot; but no lucidity. I am wondering if anyone else now successful in the venture experienced such recalcitrance in their own minds to eliciting their minds to recognize in the dream that awareness. My waking mind, looking back into my state in the dream, feels I am impossibly asleep to the concept and possibility. D

hectorjose

Re: Self-doubt or Simply Impossible

Postby hectorjose » 26 Dec 2014 19:58

Hi, after reading your post, I wanted to respond and share my experience. I first became interested in lucid dreaming at a young (around 11 - 12 years old). Like you, I read the LeBerg books and was excited about what I learned. I thought about lucid dreaming during the day and told myself at night that it would happen to me.... It didn't. I did not try the mask or anything like that but I stayed fascinated for years afterwards about lucid dreaming itself. When I was about 22 years old, I read a book called "the Celestine Prophecy" which I very much enjoyed. In one of the scenes, the main characters have come across a secret manuscript in the jungles of South America.... The government of the country they were in knew they had found the secret documents and was determined to stop them from sharing it or getting out of the country with it.... To stop them, they sent soldiers in the jungles to catch them. I had just finished reading that scene and had gone to bed. I went to sleep just like any other night... I was suddenly awakened because I heard what sounded like someone crawling on the ground in my room and heard some people talking in low voices in what sounded like Walkie talkies. I was like "what the hell??" and rolled over to look over the edge of the bed, not knowing what I would see. There on the ground were 3 soldiers (wearing army fatigues) crawling on my bedroom floor toward my bed with voices coming out of Walkie talkies they had strapped to them....and then it hit me like a powerful wind, I was dreaming and those soldiers were from the scene I had read and weren't "actually in my room of waking life!" I jumped out of bed so energized with mixed feelings of exhilaration, liberation and just pure excitement. I didn't even think about those soldiers and ran out of the room into my living room. There was a character in the middle of the room that seemed to have a spotlight on him and who was smiling and didn't say a word. I stopped to look at him for a moment and then continued running (I was so excited, running felt like a natural way to let out
my joy) until I reached my back porch. The scene looked like a replica of my waking life, I decided I wanted to visit my sister (who lived about 5 blocks away) and that I would fly there. I stretched out my arms and jumped in the air intending to fly. I only got about a foot off the ground and hovered there but could not seem to get any higher... Realizing this flying thing didn't seem to be working, my thoughts went back to the character I had seen in the living room. I started wondering who they were and if they talked. I got so excited again at the thought of finding out (and just knowing I had my first lucid experience) that I floated back to the ground and ran back in my house. The character was still In the living room and as I walked up to him determined to find out who he was, the scene starts fading out and seconds later I opened my eyes. There I was back in my bed and it was the middle of the night. The house was silent, no soldiers or characters in sight, so I lay in bed with a huge smile and just was in awe of what had just happened. I had experiences a new definition of "freedom" that night, it was the coolest thing that had ever happened to me. I did not go lucid again for a couple months after that, and through years they have gotten more frequent (I average about 1 a week sometimes 2). Anyways, all that was just to shar what happened to me, and the story around my first lucid dream.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

kelkelz

Postby kelkelz » 04 Jan 2015 22:45

I had my first one (that I can remember) a few weeks ago by complete luck. I've always been able to recall my dreams easily and have always been fascinated by the idea of LDs but have never really tried. Now that I've had that brief taste, I want it more than anything. I haven't been able to become lucid intentionally though, even with all the tips and tricks. Last night- I woke up in my bed in my old room at my parents house (which I haven't lived in for years) and I was completely bummed because I wasn't able to become lucid like I was trying.-- If only I had done a reality check!! And then I woke up again, in my real bed.. Even more bummed.Most of the time, I have the most interesting dreams with the most intriguing characters. I want to be fully present and experience them, not just remember them! I know it's not impossible. I think it just takes an incredible amount of training and commitment. I'm not giving up. I suggest you don't either. Think of the possibilities when you master it!

dreamer164

Postby dreamer164 » 06 Jan 2015 18:45

Helo, im a beginer of lucid dreaming, and i havent got a lot of experience as im only begining to learn the ways of how to lucid dream, i have wisited a lot of sites, none of them helped a lot expept this one ( http://www.lucidspot.com/ ) and it did help me alot, but it didnt give me the personal guidence that i so desperatly need, i realy want to learn it, but i dont know how to begin. I often have doubts about me lucid dreaming, i know i could lucid dream but there are always the doubts about it, i told my family about it, and they say its a waste of time, that you cant take control of your dreams, but i dont believe them and frankly i dont give a f*** about what they say, but words often do setle in, if you want it or not. i have started a dream jurnal, i woken up 2-3 times a night, and wrote my dreams down, and i do remember them more vivid and real. I have a lot of qouestions, and i hope the forum will provide me the knowledge of lucid dreaming, because for me it would be a way to escape reality and live out the fantasies i have. I hope that i didnt bother you with my long post, and hope to learn a lot of new information about lucid dreaming. Thank you for your time and have a good night :D

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 06 Jan 2015 22:39

My advice is just stay fascinated with lucid dreaming in general. I lucid dream fairly frequently and to be quite honest, when I tried to keep a dream journal, I only recorded like 3 dreams (1 lucid and 2 regular dreams...not lucid) then I stopped using a dream journal. I'm not saying keeping a dream journal is advised against, it probably is good but my point is lucid dreaming can be done without doing these "tips and tricks" you read about in some of the online forums dedicated to lucid dreaming. I will tell you lucid dreaming is real, when it happens you will be amazed at it's clarity and you realize that you have the ability to have these dimensional travel experiences. People call it lucid dreaming which is fine, but I also feel like I am in another dimension when I lucid dream. Just don't lose the fascination, and it will happen...probably when you don't expect it.
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

Return to “Introduce Yourself”