Is it possible to forget a lucid dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Caden_16

Is it possible to forget a lucid dream?

Postby Caden_16 » 16 Dec 2014 15:35

Say if you woke up then fell back asleep after your lucid dream if you lost control of consciousness. Could you possible forget the lucid dream you had?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MercyStrange

Re: Is it possible to forget a lucid dream?

Postby MercyStrange » 16 Dec 2014 18:15

After some research, and thought on some of my own experiences, I've come to the conclusion that, Yes, you can forget Lucid dreams. If you actually wake up after the dream, it would more than likely be easier to remember, though. "Don’t bother trying to enter a WILD at the beginning of the night. It’s possible, but not recommended. Even if you succeed, you’d have messed up your natural circadian rhythm and, unless you’d force yourself to wake up, you’d probably not even remember the lucid dream by the time you wake up naturally." (Lucidipedia.com Blog, Lence,). This basically covers one of my points, because if you enter a lucid dream at the beginning of the night, you'll more than likely forget it if you don't wake up.(I've often attempted WILD at the beginning of the night, and failed, probably because I simply cannot remember the dreams!) This is why WBTB and WILD are much easier to attempt together, and after 4-6 hours of sleep. During the REM sleep cycle, our dreams are generally more vivid, and also much easier to remember. This is why it's an ideal time to attempt WILD and other such methods.
I Hope I helped somewhat. (:
"For a Dreamer, Night's The Only Time of Day."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Dec 2014 12:04

I too are going to say that I think its quite possible to forget a LD esp if one had a long unaware sleep after it.

I say this as think about how people get up during the middle of the night to go to the loo. People often thou when they go back to sleep, in the morning wont even remember getting up during the night to go to the toilet. So Im sure people can forget lucid dreams when they are likely to have even less awareness then the person who went to loo in night but forgot by next morning.

Also most who try to remember their normal dreams in the morning will be able to tell you that it can be easy to remember dreams at times then but as soon as one gets up, one may forget. I do that a lot. So surely its easier to forget when one has had a long sleeping time in between.

MercyStrange wrote: Even if you succeed, you’d have messed up your natural circadian rhythm and, unless you’d force yourself to wake up, you’d probably not even remember the lucid dream by the time you wake up naturally." (Lucidipedia.com Blog, Lence,).

Ive never found that doing my WILDs during the day or just before sleep has made my sleep any different to what it usually is. I dont even know if all WILDS are even done in a sleep/rem state, it is possible that some are in a relaxed meditation state (that's different o Rem isnt it?? Theta???)

What I do so I wont forget a LD whenever I have one.. I do this too if I have one during middle of the night as one could forget one too then... is I wake myself up from the dream after a certain [point. For me, I do it immediately after completing or trying 3 of my dream challenges or when I have something very important but more complex to remember eg say a complex DC name or an address eg if i'd asked a DC something like what's your name and "where do you live" and he replied 34 Horseshoe Land, Sandle Hill .. (I like to check if anything in my dream could of been real when I wake up so want to remember clear details).

I far rather cut a LD short then risk forgetting the whole thing. I also wake myself up if I feel myself drifting too much eg when one starts to loose ones LD state or sometimes I just mentally wake myself up more without waking myself up to deal with that. Its quite possible to make sure you dont loose a lucid.

For anyone who doesnt tend to remember their dreams at all. Make sure you work on that as otherwise you are very likely not to remember your LDs unless you wake yourself up before you go into an unaware state
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Caden_16

Postby Caden_16 » 12 Jan 2015 03:14

Okay I definitely agree. Last night i had my first lucid dream (sort of). I realized I was dreaming, and so I wanted to test out my reality check of pushing my fingers through my palm. I'm not sure if they went through or not because my vision went black and then started to go light and I woke up. I definitely think I woke up because I was excited about the whole ordeal but I forget what I was even dreaming about in the first place haha. I'm going to have to work on lengthening my lucid dreams when they happen. By the way your replies are encouraging!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Jan 2015 08:49

Caden_16 wrote:Okay I definitely agree. Last night i had my first lucid dream (sort of). I realized I was dreaming, and so I wanted to test out my reality check of pushing my fingers through my palm. I'm not sure if they went through or not because my vision went black and then started to go light and I woke up. I definitely think I woke up because I was excited about the whole ordeal but I forget what I was even dreaming about in the first place haha. I'm going to have to work on lengthening my lucid dreams when they happen. By the way your replies are encouraging!

It's very common (it may be the norm?), not to remember the dream you were having before one becomes lucid. I find I hardly ever remember the dream I was having before I became lucid (so its like being suddenly put into a strange place). For me, becoming lucid comes in usually instantly (that's if Ive woken up in a dream) ..

So anyway, you probably may not remember the dream you were having before you became lucid and if you were lucid only for seconds before dropping out of the dream, you will only have that few seconds of memory.

Its common to find vision goes black, fades just before waking up.. its a sign you are loosing the dream. You may have to work at staying in the dream eg if you cant see in the dream, focus strongly on whatever you can feel in your dream world. If you can move without dropping out (its something you would have to try to find out).. try rubbing your hands together. Ignore the blindness as if you stabilise in the dream more, the vision will come back in. (I sometimes have to be blind in my dreams for a minute or so till my dream stabilises enough for the dream sight to come back in).

If you drop out of the dream completely in all ways, immediately try to think your way back into the dream by imagining yourself back there as you were (at a point when you were still getting the dream strongly). Its a good way to send to your subconciousness, you want to be back in the dream.. its also a good way to learn to WILD using dream drop outs.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”