nesgirl and Summerlander

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: nesgirl and Summerlander

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Jan 2015 05:32

I can already foresee what will be the cause of this thread's death....

Since the topic lingers in the boggy mire of fascist asexuality, I have something to say, and anyone who challenges my right to say it should consult Socrates.

It intrigues me when people say, "Hey, I'm not perfect," to somehow liberate themselves from responsibility for their inevitable human folly. What would the "perfect person" even look like? Could any of us picture the perfect person and describe them? I don't think so. And even if we could, would we all universally have in mind the same person? No. Perhaps nesgirl would picture an asexual, perhaps Summerlander a scientist, perhaps myself a serial killer (joking, nesgirl), perhaps HAGART a comedian. Point is, we cannot know what a perfect organism would be like. There is nothing for us to strive towards, no sublime criterion for being holy. So what does it mean for us to defy our inherent nature? If the majority of humans lacked empathy, then that would be considered a "good" attribute, and empathy would be unnatural and sickly. But, granted, that is a poor example because, with that kind of useless evolutionary programming, we wouldn't have made it very far as a species. Empathy is objectively good because our species wouldn't last without it--and according to biocentric morality, our relative elasticity and resilience is what is good. We've come this far with romance by our side and it hasn't inhibited social progress--why ditch it now?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Jan 2015 05:48

deschainXIX wrote:It intrigues me when people say, "Hey, I'm not perfect," to somehow liberate themselves from responsibility for their inevitable human folly. What would the "perfect person" even look like? Could any of us picture the perfect person and describe them? perhaps myself a serial killer

Actually I really do believe you on this one, that would really describe your personality right there, having the world full of those kinds of people. Also don't forget the rapists and thieves in your perfect world.

Point is, we cannot know what a perfect organism would be like. There is nothing for us to strive towards, no sublime criterion for being holy. So what does it mean for us to defy our inherent nature? If the majority of humans lacked empathy, then that would be considered a "good" attribute, and empathy would be unnatural and sickly. But, granted, that is a poor example because, with that kind of useless evolutionary programming, we wouldn't have made it very far as a species. Empathy is objectively good because our species wouldn't last without it--and according to biocentric morality, our relative elasticity and resilience is what is good. We've come this far with romance by our side and it hasn't inhibited social progress--why ditch it now?
[/quote]
I think I should say there are not very many humans who have empathy at all. That evil @#$ who murdered my cousin had none. People who rape or bully others have no empathy. So saying our species has empathy is not completely true. If it were, we wouldn't have so many crimes going on. And romance is deception, because it lulls people in simply to have children, but eventually divorce happens, or it ends up being a relationship with a philander, who ditches the person right on the spot (showing also philanders have very little empathy as well, as they probably wouldn't care if the person they were with got hit by a car or killed themselves).
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jan 2015 09:57

To DeschainXIX:
All I can say is, "That's nesgirl for ya!"
I hear you though and at least I'm listening.

DeschainXIX wrote:What would the "perfect person" even look like?

Alfred E. Neuman

We all have our own perfect answer and it depends on ourselves, our beliefs, and personalities. Answering a simple question like that reveals a lot about ourselves and I do tend to come across as the comedian of the group. Nesgirl doesn't realize it, but we all know it, she is 'Amy', placing herself as the main character in her story. DeschainXIX, of course, was just kidding when he called himself a serial killer, and certainly I can peg Summerlander as the belligerent scientist of the group.

Does that sound like the worst crew for the Starship Enterprise or what?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Jan 2015 13:02

Alfred E Neuman is perhaps the creepiest little creature ever to be birthed of human imagination. If that's perfection, I don't want it!

But yeah we wouldn't make it far beyond Earth's atmosphere. I would eject nesgirl immediately and then myself get ejected for ejecting another crew member without everyone's consent. :D And bam, you're down two out of four people. The belligerent scientist is the only archetype that sounds even remotely useful aboard a starship anyways :lol:

Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Jan 2015 16:24

You don't have to worry much about that. I am not expected to live a really long life anyways.
And IDK if I could survive the trip into space so I think I'd give it a pass. Most people who travel into space have hypertension or normal blood pressure. I have hypotension, and there might be issues with that if I were to go into space, because of that. Hypotension is rare, and I don't think it has been tested in zero gravity. However, because of the chances of going into hypotension shock, I am not taking my chances.

Oh and BTW, I am not Amy. Amy is a little less introverted than the ruler than the island, who is hiding out and doing the paper work and creating the technology. I did have a Lucid Dream about creating her from my DNA and another DC's, which I am friend's with. That DC is a little less introverted than I am. Her personality is similar to mine, but has pieces of his in there. In my Lucid Dreams, she is a separate character (although because she was created from my DNA, she did inherit my aromantic asexuality), and I am usually the eyes watching her like an eagle, and if Joey does something wrong, I am the ruler that kicks him off the island in some comical way, like strapping him to a jetpack and sending him to Islam, putting on his belly, "This is an idiot, treat like a piñata." and send him off. With all the rest of the island cheering and firing off fireworks as I rocket him off the island. Yet no matter how I send him off the island, he comes back for more when I see him with my dream scope (and he acts like a moron on his ship, hugging Amy's picture, worshipping it, and just....eek creepy what he does to that picture). He is like in that Looney Toons cartoon, that persistent Peppy Le Pew.
Goodbye forever...

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Jan 2015 20:40

Exposure to vacuums is pretty lethal, especially when you're totally submerged in one. It tears the alveolus tissue, and death is pretty conclusively instantaneous if you try to hold your breath. The air being sucked out of you does even more damage. If one vacates one's lungs, however, one wouldn't die instantly; it's possible to survive totally unprotected in the vacuum of space for several minutes, assuming you can be retrieved and your body can be repressurized while there's still a little oxygen in the brain. It's more likely, however, that you would be too irreversibly malformed by the vaporization of liquid from soft tissue and gaseous solutions from pores, the total voiding of the bowels, stomach, and bladder, circulatory compromise, paralysis, and a host of other effects associated with being an organism outside of an atmosphere.

Oh, and yeah, orthostatic hypotension is indeed an astronautical hazard; if you went on a space voyage you would have to be monitored closely by someone with medical knowledge and probably fed drugs continuously.

Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Jan 2015 21:31

Oh, and yeah, orthostatic hypotension is indeed an astronautical hazard; if you went on a space voyage you would have to be monitored closely by someone with medical knowledge and probably fed drugs continuously.

I think I will give it a pass then. I already have enough health issues revolving around my hypotension without having to deal with anymore.
Goodbye forever...

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Jan 2015 21:56

Shame. I have the feeling that interstellar travel/colonization and terraforming are at the brink of mankind's horizon. Perhaps the development of cryopreservative or cryonic technologies will be necessary before any of that is conceivable, though. Maybe that will be our next breakthrough.

My favorite animal (which is technically a micro-animal, being half a millimeter in length), the extremophilic tardigrade spallanzani--also known as the "waterbear" because of its affinity for aqueous environments--is one of the most versatile organisms known to man, being able to survive far above boiling temperatures and just around 0 degrees Celsius, ultra-high pressures far exceeding the pressures of anyplace found on earth, and extremely otherwise lethal doses of ionizing radiation. It can go 10 years without any food or water. But what is most interesting to me about this animal is that it can survive in outer space. I have the layperson's suspicion that the tardigrade's genome sequence is important for cryonic innovation for humans--since tardigrades can, of course, survive cryopreservation endlessly.

Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jan 2015 22:14

I think the enemy team has read our plans to get most views. I was putting in some good reps today and was up to about 50, and I know somebody else did recently too because it was only around 1000 yesterday, but then I noticed the Megaman discussion has jumped 600+ views in one day! I give up!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Jan 2015 22:19

Yeah I don't know if I want to do view boosting. :lol: Full disclosure, I haven't done any yet. I'm trying to further the post cause though. In vain, no doubt.

Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”