Is it better to feel pain or not feel pain in dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
SarahDank

Re: Is it better to feel pain or not feel pain in dreams?

Postby SarahDank » 15 Feb 2012 12:31

Sky, I do defiantly find it very strange to why you would want to feel pain in a dream, when really, if I had never experienced it myself, i wouldn't of thought it was possible to feel pain in a dream.

I do on the other hand understand why you would want to learn to feel it now you know it is possible.
I'm personally not sure to why some people feel pain in dreams, and some don't.
It could be just as you said:

"It's interesting that we can create pain, maybe because we think we are supposed to feel it. Apparently some of us choose not too for whatever reason."

* Seeing that something should harm us, and creating the pain to go with the significant injury.
It's all an amazing adventure. (sometimes a scary one)

I personally feel a lot of emotional pain in my dreams. I think I always have.
And now when I think about it, it seems that emotional pain and physical pain could be connected in the Dream State, along with how frequently you dream. --

I dream every night and it's always vivid, and just as a memory to me the next day. In saying this, I am always fully connected to my dreams, just as connected I am to my waking life. So my emotions are just as strong in my dreams as they are while I am awake. --
This then allowing me to feel everything in dreams as I would in Waking Life.

I have no idea if this makes ANY sense. Someone may be able to come along and justify what I am trying to say.

Some people just like Peter and Snaggle - May actually just dream as a normal person and still feel the pain just as I do.

I can even see Physical pain in dreams as a warning and a caution warning to Waking Life.
The pain I feel in dreams are just as strong as they would be if it happened in Waking Life.

I don't think you should go searching for it. And even doing so, make sure that you have full knowledge that you are dreaming, and make sure that you do the smallest pain that you can feel and know that you have felt it.

After having such horrible experiences in dreams I hope to tell others that are trying to make their dreams stronger to take full caution. As anything in your past or even something you fear can come into your dreams (sounds like inception) and effect the way you do actually dream, and how you react, and then to where you end up.

I have no idea if this will help you, but I hope some of it does.

Take care :)

;SarahDank

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Feb 2012 19:04

Sarah,

Thanks for the post. I'm still not sure that I want to feel pain in dreams, but I'd never realized I had a choice before in the matter so never considered it. Mainly because of pain in waking life. If they had a choice, who would want to experience pain in waking life? Probably no one in their right mind. I'm not sure about that now.

SarahDank wrote:After having such horrible experiences in dreams I hope to tell others that are trying to make their dreams stronger to take full caution. As anything in your past or even something you fear can come into your dreams

I really believe fear has a lot to do with this. It's a proven fact that fear intensifies pain and there is definitely a realtionship there. I've put a tremendous effort into dealing with fear because it has been such a problem for me and my success with it has really changed my life, including dreams. My dreams are very intense, but rarely frightening or uncomfortable. I have to keep telling myself that our consciousness, which is how we experience reality can't be harmed by anything, in waking life or dreams so there is nothing to be afraid of. We should all consider your warning and take it seriously, but I believe that this is not the first time we have been warned.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Feb 2012 20:37

I can feel fear without pain in a dream and in waking life, I can feel pain without fear as well. In a dream I have had pain many times and yes it hurts but it is only pain and it is a dream so to me what is the bother. This runs with my simple view of life that we are able to feel pain and pleasure so isnt that for whatever reasons how we are meant to be and so why deny yourself the full experiance of your senses.

The hard bit is how you deal with pain and pleasure and what beliefs you have made around them. Simply put the hurt that comes from pain is mental and more formed by association and expectation.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 16 Feb 2012 21:49

Peter wrote:Simply put the hurt that comes from pain is mental and more formed by association and expectation.

Sometimes I wonder what pain really is and how much of it formed as you say by association and expectation. If you have certain painful medical problems, you can elliminate the pain with pain meds, but the problem that caused the pain is still there. You are still aware that something is wrong, but once you elliminate the sensation of pain, it becomes something that is difficult instead of painful.

I had a dream last night where I felt very cold and had to put on a coat. The feeling of cold was accurately represented in the dream. I've pretty much asked to feel pain in dreams, so it will probably be coming soon. Hopefully I will have the courage not to wake myself up before I experience it.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”