Lucid, but in shock after reality test comes back positive

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
lucidinthe sky

Lucid, but in shock after reality test comes back positive

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Feb 2012 17:23

I went back to sleep early this morning after telling myself I would be able to have one more dream and it was going to be lucid.

So I find myself in the parking lot of a restaurant at night, in a place I don't know, don't how I got there or how to back to wherever I'm supposed to be going, have no way to get anywhere except walking. No problem, I'll find a way to deal with it. Next thing I know I'm in this big ugly swamp-like area during the day where people that I can hear talking but not see, are picnicking. They are complaing about rats and I see this very strange looking cat looking up at me from underwater. It comes up like a fish to get some air. Interesting cat, but no problem. I look at my watch and notice I'm not wearing it. AH-HAH! Now that's unusual, I think. I'm supposed to do a reality check whenever things are unusual even though it's really a waste of time because I already know I'm not dreaming. I look at my hand and it only has 4 fingers. I was in shock when I saw it as if it was one of the 100s of RCs I've done during waking hours and already knew what the result would be. I gasped in the dream as if I had seen a ghost or something, then woke up shortly after.

It's really amazing how many unusual things we accept in dreams. My problem is this attitude that I have about being so sure that it's not a dream all of the time when I do an RC.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Re: Lucid, but in shock after reality test comes back positi

Postby Peter » 14 Feb 2012 19:21

great post - I am the same in my dreams. I see so many oddities that make it so obvious I am dreaming but normally dont do a RC. In one dream I was in a factory that made gloves and they were a special type of trick glove. You put them on and your hands changed, you had more of less fingers and of different colors. I decided the gloves worked fine and didnt click I was dreaming. I should have known as the DC were laughing at me all the time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Feb 2012 19:51

Peter,

I think it goes back to that logical part of the brain and the question of whether it's working. It looks clear to me that it's not operating most of time in dreams which makes us more free to experience anything without the controls of our logical brain, but then somehow we kick it into gear when we go lucid. I'd like to know more about how that works.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Feb 2012 20:30

Me to, I feel that most of the ways of inducing a LD apart from a WILD are very hit and miss. A WILD will work if you dont go to sleep so there is only that one issue to deal with but it is very hard.

In a the dream without the logical part of the brain working we can still experiance the dream, reacall and interact without any issues. Getting the logical part to engage is the key to being lucid whenever you want. This is where I am going to put my focus in the next months and keen to share ideas on how and what to do
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Feb 2012 22:01

Peter,

Let me know what you learn. One thing I will be working on is really believing that at any time you could be dreaming. I really have to get it out of my head that I can always tell the difference.

Another thing I was thinking regarding no logical part of the brain working: without the logical part of your brain working, dreams become purely experience with little value judgments applied to anything. This seems almost like it's a more true reality because there is no filtering going on. All the value judgments we make in waking life really change the experience itself and limit our freedom to exeprience reality to the fullest.

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Feb 2012 07:23

just replied and my connection crashed.....Try to remember again.

I want to see if I can look at waking reality and dreaming reality with new eyes and see what I can come up with. First ideas will be to make a decent sized poster and on this mind map out "this state" and "that state" to see where they overlap and how I feel and what triggers those feelings and whatever else may come along. If i can see the overlaps if they exist I might discover some common threads, dont really know and this post is sort of random thoughts as well.
Even using terms like logical and awareness implies non-logical and non-awareness exists and they put up boundries.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Feb 2012 18:31

I am also looking at the two "realities" to understand the commonalities and differences, etc. I am still fairly new to lucid dreams so my picture of reality has been only recently affected by the experiences of LDs which have really confirmed what I was starting to fully understand. I feel like a major door has been opened and my views are evolving at a fairly rapid pace.

One of things I see now about LDs and dreams in general is that they are purely experiential realities. They are virtual realities and some would say they are not real, but from an experiential viewpoint, they are the same. Everything in reality can be denied, except your experience of it. You can not adequately understand, explain or show someone a lucid dream, it can only be experienced. It is essentially unlimited and really does not have the boundaries and regulation we impose on it during waking life. This is kind of fuzzy right now, but I think reality is somehow created from or by experience.

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Feb 2012 20:41

Thats a nice way to put it and is not limiting so will let you explore. I get bounced around with how real it is and its just a dream in my mind and then I get what I call another high level lucid dream and I am stunned by the experiance and back to happily confused once more.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”