Life and Death

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
User avatar
Derpybunneh
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Sep 2014 22:27

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby Derpybunneh » 21 Jan 2015 22:26

nesgirl wrote:
PKJacker wrote:Can we not have hate on an advertisement (and necro) post?


That wasn't hate, PKJacker, and no I wasn't hating on her at all. She's a Mormon. Her religion believes when people die, that every person who dies single will be married in the next life. And Asexual people who die in the next life will become romantics, and will also be married in the next life. How do I know this? Because I live in Utah, and Mormons preach this afterlife doctrine to me all the time, saying I'll be healed of my asexuality in the next life, and will be married to someone.

Okay and if you think that is seriously necro, why not look up the Islamic belief. It is much worse. The guys get 72 virgins.


Yes. Our religion believes that those who miss the chance to be married (rightfully or if they just miss the chance) in this life are married in the next life.
LUCID DREAMS: 5
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3642
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby Summerlander » 22 Jan 2015 00:13

The is no next life. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Derpybunneh
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Sep 2014 22:27

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby Derpybunneh » 22 Jan 2015 16:39

Summerlander wrote:The is no next life. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image


How do you know there is no next life?
LUCID DREAMS: 5
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

User avatar
DesertExplorer
Posts: 747
Joined: 05 Oct 2014 20:44
Location: Xīlà

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby DesertExplorer » 22 Jan 2015 23:10

Derpybunneh wrote:
Summerlander wrote:The is no next life. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image


How do you know there is no next life?

He doesn't remember.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Jan 2015 00:23

Derpybunneh wrote:How do you know there is no next life?


How do you know there is an afterlife? Because that's what you've believed all your life?

I hear a chorus of "You can't do that!"s. But consider this. If I make the claim that the boogeyman exists, it would be rational of you to ask me, "How do you know the boogeyman exists?" And (using your own argumentative logic) I would promptly reply, "How do you know he doesn't exist?"

This fallacious problem is summarized in the following axiomatic statement:

The onus lies upon the believer--not the skeptic--to evidence his claims.



Humans are mortal. They are collections of frail, organic tissue and liquid that visibly deteriorates and has a limited metabolism and dies. They are kind of like fruiting bodies for the extenuation of life, that strange and adaptive matter procreated ultimately by supernovae. From what we know about the universe and biology and neurology, there is no reason to believe in an afterlife. There is nothing sublime or divine about the homo sapien and anyone who solipsistically and anthropocentrically makes such a claim has a lot of explaining ahead of them. And yet no one can explain it. It's merely a "feel-good" sentiment to comfort people. However, as any Buddhist (or lucid dreamer or meditator) will tell you, nonexistence is true bliss. So really the disposition of the realist is the most comfortable--not that this matters, of course. :D



We really are giving this thread far too much attention. This is an ugly little advertising thread made by an ugly, sad little person. I certainly don't want to strike up another debate. I just wanted to lay my cards on the table in response to DerpyBunneh and didn't realize how long I had made this post. :|
Well said.

User avatar
DesertExplorer
Posts: 747
Joined: 05 Oct 2014 20:44
Location: Xīlà

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Jan 2015 00:42

Would a Buddhist tell you something like it? I really doubt it.

Have you talked with one in person and told you? Because what you do is positioning a lucid dreamer in the same state with a Buddhist and that is what dragged my attention.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Jan 2015 00:50

You're probably right about that. Certainly Buddhism and lucid dreaming shouldn't be pigeon-holed together. However, I'm referring, of course, to Buddhism's secular applications. If I am not incorrect, lucid dreaming was first practiced by Tibetan dream yogis. I was also alluding to nirvana--oblivion and transcending the endless recycling in reincarnation.

This is an insignificant detail and really has nothing to do with my argument. Don't really understand your point, unless you're being captious again. :D
Well said.

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby HAGART » 23 Jan 2015 01:15

I reported the first post and described how it's just an advertisement and they only wrote two identical posts within minutes of the same day and left. It should be removed eventually, then nesgirl can be first poster, and change the name of the thread if she wants. At least this way the AD doesn't keep getting the attention it doesn't deserve.

On the down side, now I ruined the punchline of my joke earlier about the title and others won't get it! Ah well! Carry on debating and have fun! 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

User avatar
DesertExplorer
Posts: 747
Joined: 05 Oct 2014 20:44
Location: Xīlà

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Jan 2015 01:50

deschainXIX wrote:You're probably right about that. Certainly Buddhism and lucid dreaming shouldn't be pigeon-holed together. However, I'm referring, of course, to Buddhism's secular applications. If I am not incorrect, lucid dreaming was first practiced by Tibetan dream yogis. I was also alluding to nirvana--oblivion and transcending the endless recycling in reincarnation.

This is an insignificant detail and really has nothing to do with my argument. Don't really understand your point, unless you're being captious again. :D

No, I am not.

Is that your dog?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

User avatar
deschainXIX
Posts: 922
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 18:18
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: When you go to sleep, where do you really GO?

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Jan 2015 01:58

Yes! :)
(Or, if you prefer, that's a legitimate avatar of myself--it's sort of an inside joke that I'm a sentient canine.)

The sheltie in that photo just gave birth to a litter of puppies, incidentally (my family breeds shetland sheepdogs as well as a few other animals). They're very sweet.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Well said.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests