Dream Recall?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Parap

Dream Recall?

Postby Parap » 22 Jan 2015 02:02

Hi i'm brand new to lucid dreaming, i've become obsessed with it over the past 2 weeks. Anyways the first week i had some crazy dreams, none lucid but that's ok they were still some of those most vivid dreams i've ever had. I'm really prepared to go into this for the long haul but what i'm mostly concerned about is dream recall, i've only had 1 dream in the past 5 nights. i do meditation, write down my dreams and get plenty of sleep. I usually wake up after about 5 hours then stay up for 30 minutes, then go back to bed and for those last 3-4 hours or so is when i dream. I'm thinking of ordering that dream herb off amazon, also i've heard applejuice increases melatonin but idk... anything i'm missing, or some tips to help? The topic is kindof vague like mostly i just see "Just write them down and you'll remember them" but it's not really that simple it seems

hectorjose

Re: Dream Recall?

Postby hectorjose » 22 Jan 2015 19:29

For dream recall, (for myself) I found it helpful to think about dream recall throughout the day think about, wanting to do dream recall, telling yourself that upon dreaming at night you intend to remember them upon waking. It's like you are programming (or reprogramming) your subconscious mind and bending it to your will and this can take effort and repetition.

I don't know if you have ever done this, but I can tell myself what time I want to wake up in the morning, and each time I wake up right around that time (give or take 5 to 10 minutes)... People who know me seem surprised that I don't use alarms (like they do) to wake up. I always attributed it to me programming my subconscious mind. When it comes to dream recall, it takes a little more effort on the programming part than what time you want to wake up (same idea, but different levels of effort). I suggest that at different periods throughout the day (not just at night before bed) keep telling yourself that you want to achieve dream recall and sooner or later it will happen.

I go lucid quite often but when I don't go lucid, I remember my dreams every night or even if I am just taking a nap. The cool thing about this programming the subconscious technique, is it seems to last when you start getting results....I couldn't always remember my nightly dreams but like you I had a deep fascination about it and through persistence and effort with what I described above, the dream recall seems to be on auto pilot, I wake up with the dream I had clearly in mind. Good luck to you :)
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 25 Jan 2015 19:01

There's a few good methods to remember dreams better besides of course writing them down:

1. When you wake up, try not to move much and don't get up from bed straight away, movement can cause you to forget most of your dream or maybe all of it, so that's first.

2. When you go to sleep at night, try to do MILD (Telling yourself that you would remember all of your dreams tonight, most of people use this method to lucid dream as they say ''Tonight I will lucid dream'' for a lot of times until they fail asleep, but it also very efficient for remembering dreams as well).

I think this two are the best besides writing them down, so all together is great.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Jan 2015 10:49

hectorjose wrote:For dream recall, (for myself) I found it helpful to think about dream recall throughout the day think about, wanting to do dream recall, telling yourself that upon dreaming at night you intend to remember them upon waking. It's like you are programming (or reprogramming) your subconscious mind and bending it to your will and this can take effort and repetition.

I don't know if you have ever done this, but I can tell myself what time I want to wake up in the morning, and each time I wake up right around that time (give or take 5 to 10 minutes)... People who know me seem surprised that I don't use alarms (like they do) to wake up. I always attributed it to me programming my subconscious mind. When it comes to dream recall, it takes a little more effort on the programming part than what time you want to wake up (same idea, but different levels of effort). I suggest that at different periods throughout the day (not just at night before bed) keep telling yourself that you want to achieve dream recall and sooner or later it will happen.

I go lucid quite often but when I don't go lucid, I remember my dreams every night or even if I am just taking a nap. The cool thing about this programming the subconscious technique, is it seems to last when you start getting results....I couldn't always remember my nightly dreams but like you I had a deep fascination about it and through persistence and effort with what I described above, the dream recall seems to be on auto pilot, I wake up with the dream I had clearly in mind. Good luck to you :)

I thought hectorjose did a great post on this. I too can remember dreams by programming this into my subconsciousness by thinking about it a lot over a period of time. Once it then happens one tends to keep remembering dreams unless one stops wanting to do it and stops paying them attention.

Right now Im only remembering a couple of dreams per week at most as I havent been working on this and not writing my dreams down either but when I are working on dream recall and programming myself to do this, I can get to a point where Im remembering 8-9 dreams per night. (too much to even write down).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 27 Jan 2015 00:35

@taniaaust1 thank you...I hope my answers truly help others when I think their questions are relevant to my experiences. My nightly dream recall is usually between 2 - 3 dreams per night. On occasion I can remember 4 -5 (or pieces of them anyway)... it is pretty cool you have been able to recall up to 9 in one night, that is impressive.

I have been reading a book about finance recently (stress test by Tim Geithner) and 2 nights in a row my dreams have had to do with being inside the NY fed haha. It definitely is interesting to take notice on how what you do in waking life, (like reading alot about a particular subject) can show up in dreams :D
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

Parap

Postby Parap » 28 Jan 2015 21:14

thanks for the advice guys i actually managed to remember 1-3 really vivid dreams almost every night, waking up every 90 minutes. Still no lucids yet though~

Return to “For Beginners”