Natural Dreamers

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KylePK

Natural Dreamers

Postby KylePK » 16 Feb 2012 05:30

I'm simply confused why there seem to be those out there who have a natural affinity for dream recall and lucid dreaming, while other people - such as myself - have immense trouble with even a regular dream recall, despite the desire to lucid dream and efforts to recall and record any dreams. I doubt there is any obvious or simple answer, but I'd like to start a discussion about what other people think about this matter. Genetics? Nurturing? I know not!
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Ryan

Re: Natural Dreamers

Postby Ryan » 16 Feb 2012 05:39

I'm a natural lucid dreamer. I'm 32 now, and I've been having them for as long as I can remember.
I'd love to know how I seemingly randomly realize from time to time that I'm dreaming. It makes no sense to me, but then I've never really asked or searched for an answer.

I think I'll have to ask that the next time I find myself projecting.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 16 Feb 2012 06:02

I was not a natural lucid dreamer to begin with - I had to work at it and develop the skill set taught by lucidity experts. But from evolving this mindset I'd say these factors help:

- The significance you place on your dreams - if you are dismissive of dreams and think they are meaningless then you won't make much effort to remember them in the morning, consciously or subconsciously, and your experience of your dream life will be sparse.

- If you are a light sleeper - you will wake up more times in the night, and more often during or after REM sleep, making it much easier to recall your dreams. Deep sleepers may only remember the last dream on waking, and have no memory of the many dreams throughout the night.

- If you "live lucidly" by nature - this describes how naturally attuned you are to your environment, how mindful and observant you are of your current reality, so it's easier to spot when something is amiss - ie in dreams. This can be developed through frequent meditation.

- If you're a day dreamer - you're more accustomed to switching between an externally driven world to an internally driven creation of your mind. I find it particularly helpful in dream programming as I drift off to sleep, as well as the MILD and WILD induction methods.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 16 Feb 2012 06:09

Thanks for your reply Rebecca! However, I consider myself to qualify for each of those factors other than light sleeping. My friend and I always deem ourselves some of the most observant and aware young men of our generation (teenagers), as we are always looking for oddities and notice seemingly insignificant patterns in social behavior or environment. We are Traceurs, which makes us Lucid in our movements as well. I am excited every night to dream and to see what kind of adventures I will have in my dreams, and I always think and wonder what my dreams could possibly mean. I day dream all the time, and I always have. Daydreaming about having superpowers, training, or anything that comes to my mind at the time. I daydream at least 4 times a day easily.

I have considered these factors and yet still, I am beginning to feel that something is holding me back... none the less, I continue my weekly meditations, my dream journal entries, my pursuit of lucidity and my research if lucid dreaming!

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Feb 2012 07:20

I have just had a look at what you do and have a thought that while you move lucidy it might be better described as moving fluidly and with skill but with a lot of lateral awareness in there. Do you perform in a simlar mind space as when you daydream?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 17 Feb 2012 06:04

Peter wrote:I have just had a look at what you do and have a thought that while you move lucidy it might be better described as moving fluidly and with skill but with a lot of lateral awareness in there. Do you perform in a simlar mind space as when you daydream?

Yes typically the word fluid is used to explain Parkour. What do you mean by "perform in a similar mind space"? When I daydream, its usually about Parkour. I daydream of the things I need to perfect, things I want to learn, and fears that I want to overcome. Its basically a daydream of how I want to perform, but can't yet. This is quite beneficial, and if I did this in a lucid dream, it would be even better. Thats one of my goals for lucid dreaming. Skill attainment, or rather instead of skills, confidence. Training my mind to ignore irrational fear.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Feb 2012 06:25

What I mean by daydreaming is do you put the content into the dream or seed it with thougths and let the day dream come to you. I do both as I will endlessy perform something I want to acheive in my mind but I dont count that as being useful in Lucid dreaming, for the state of mind I want in lucid dreaming I will daydream and let the dreams come to me so in whatever form they wish.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 17 Feb 2012 06:44

Ah I see. No, I force the daydream to my own will. I don't really know how to daydream while letting it come to me on its own accord. Would this help me with lucid dreaming?

James

Postby James » 17 Feb 2012 07:00

KylePK wrote:Ah I see. No, I force the daydream to my own will. I don't really know how to daydream while letting it come to me on its own accord. Would this help me with lucid dreaming?

Just, meditate or listen to some calming music like time by hans zimmer. Focus on nothing, if you cant, focus on the music. Soon an image will pop into your mind. Focus on it and enduce it! :D
Was it worth it?

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Feb 2012 07:07

It will help let the images come to you and as they come to you the dreaming state also takes you over. Next time you are practising in your mind try dwelling on the feeling of what you are doing rather that the perfect technique and let some images arise from this and if they do just let them take you away somewhere.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”