Can lucid dreams be bad for you?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dhannen

Can lucid dreams be bad for you?

Postby dhannen » 28 Jan 2015 01:45

I spent a long time reading about them and I really thought I wanted to have one. But the second I lay down I can barely even sleep because I'm so scared that I might have one. I get really scared it's just going to be some extremely vivid nightmare people online made sound fun. Any suggestions on what to do about this or why I'm so calm in the day and think dreaming sounds great but paranoid it will be bad at night?

GalMutzafy

Re: Can lucid dreams be bad for you?

Postby GalMutzafy » 28 Jan 2015 05:38

Well it's like an unknown world for many of us so it's a bit natural to feel a little scared but once you realize that there's nothing to be scared of because it's all in your mind and you can control everything you will stop fweling this way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

dhannen

Postby dhannen » 28 Jan 2015 22:49

GalMutzafy wrote:Well it's like an unknown world for many of us so it's a bit natural to feel a little scared but once you realize that there's nothing to be scared of because it's all in your mind and you can control everything you will stop fweling this way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

i just get this feeling ill be out of control(or in the case im thinking of be in to much control) like one bad thought pops into my head and whatever it was shows up but maybe its different

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 28 Jan 2015 23:23

I have the same thought but as soon as you get over it and realize that you are the boss of your dreams, nothing can stop you.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Jan 2015 11:30

i just get this feeling ill be out of control(or in the case im thinking of be in to much control) like one bad thought pops into my head and whatever it was shows up but maybe its different

You really should work on this thinking BEFORE you have a LD as dreams do often conform to whatever you are thinking.. and if you think you will end up with a nightmarish LD, there is a good chance you will. Maybe stick to just reading about LD for the time being.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Ponchot

Postby Ponchot » 01 Feb 2015 06:36

dhannen wrote: I get really scared it's just going to be some extremely vivid nightmare

Lucid dreams are quite the opposite of "normal" dreams in my opinion. Dreams can be scary since you don't realize you are in a dream. Lucid dreams will not scare you in my opinion, since you KNOW its not real.

An example: I had a weak lucid dream once where I had little control. I hate dogs, and in the beginning of this lucid dream I was chained to a post as dogs kept attacking me. I was not scared at all since I KNEW it was a dream. I was angry that I could not destroy the chain around my leg and I could not get rid of the dogs. I actually began to laugh at the dogs as I would swat at them to get rid of them. It was as if I was watching a bad cartoon I could not change the channel. No real fear occurred since I KNEW it was a dream. I eventually closed my eyes in the lucid dream & changed locations to "destroy" the post and the dogs.

I have had about 40 lucid dreams & have NEVER been scared in any of them. I hope this helps!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Feb 2015 09:36

Ponchot wrote:
dhannen wrote: I get really scared it's just going to be some extremely vivid nightmare

Lucid dreams are quite the opposite of "normal" dreams in my opinion. Dreams can be scary since you don't realize you are in a dream. Lucid dreams will not scare you in my opinion, since you KNOW its not real.

Ive got scared in a lucid dream before even thou I fully knew it was lucid. Its no different really to how some may feel scared just watching a creepy movie and one starts jumping at any noise.

Note - Thou I was very scared of a DC I did manage to still change the dream and him into a small innocent child. As emotions can be intenser in dreaming, it is possible to feel very scared.

In that LD I had found myself stuck in the middle of the ocean on a tiny row boat with just me and a demon DC sitting face to face, an arms reach apart.

The demon was glaring me with evil red eyes and I could feel a great degree of malice coming off of him. I could feel this DC wanted to kill me. Feeling malice towards oneself to that degree even if one logically knows it is a LD, its natural to feel scared. All the hairs on my LD arms were standing up, I was sweating and nearly peeing myself in fright. He WAS scary.

I dealt with this situation by shutting my eyes (which was terrifiying in this situation, try shutting your eyes to something which is very scary which may get you!) and willing him to change into a little boy and it worked great thou I was very scared. (so I was actually surprised it worked).

The good thing about LDs is we CAN change them or if worst comes to worst, wake ourselves up. If one has a scary LD, it's always best to face ones fears (or risk having the same happen next time).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”