My unique list of lucid / sleep paralysis phenomena

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
astrovineyard

My unique list of lucid / sleep paralysis phenomena

Postby astrovineyard » 30 Jan 2015 20:20

I've introduced myself elsewhere, asked questions and plan to share some actual dreams. But here I'd like to list all of the phenomena I've experienced during my sleep paralysis episodes, by category:

Again, mine seem to be triggered by, or at least follow on the heels of, a nightmare, and thus over 90% of them were hypnopompic rather than hypnagogic. (Only once during a rare nap did I experience hypnagogic hallucinations, and arguably when I experienced two SP episodes back to back, when closing my eyes too soon after having just struggled free from the first dream. I don't know if this was a single SP event in two parts or two separate SP events. Regardless, it was damn terrifying and something I never let happen again!)

Things I've experienced that seem common:

Full paralysis
Feeling heavy / pushed, pinned-down, pulled or sucked into the bed (by an invisible force, not an entity)
Suffocation / great weight on chest
Inability to speak or call for help
An indescribable sense of utter terror and dread, from which I imagine I may never escape (and die if I can't!)
Bodily numbness, tingling, vibrations, electricity, waves of energy passing through body
Some body distortions
The sense of being touched in certain areas, usually a more localized "pressing down" sensation
Epic struggle to move, wake up or scream, but feeling utterly helpless, the condition worsening
A deep foreboding voice, or nonsensical or foreign gibberish
A loud, sinister buzzing sound
A sense of the density of the air changing, sounding different in ears, as if a door was opened
Sensing someone or something sitting on the edge of the bed
More intense, frightening and longer-lasting episode if laying on my back

Things I experienced that are NOT common:

The inability to open my eyes! Unlike most people, my eyes are glued shut and cannot open, which is one of the things I struggle to do to awaken/escape.

Things I've NEVER experienced (in a SP episode at least)

Flying or floating
Being strangled
Seeing demons or an evil presence (at most there was a lingering awareness of the preceding nightmare's antagonist, but they never seemed the cause, merely opportunists, and often forgotten over the overpowering fear of the condition itself.)

Anybody else share a similar SP profile?

Miles917

Re: My unique list of lucid / sleep paralysis phenomena

Postby Miles917 » 30 Jan 2015 22:02

I always feel this fear, like you said, and I want a way to stop it. I have tried several relaxation techniques and nothing seems to work. Every time I try to lucid dream, somehow the indescribable fear creeps into my mind and I always fear hallucinating an evil creature, usually right next to me or staring intensely.

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 31 Jan 2015 05:37

Hey Miles, I think it is sort of a catch-22 in a way. Supposedly it is the fear which helps hurtle you deeper into the lucid state by making you more aware of the paralysis. But of course it is super scary and not fun. I am equally worried that I will either lose control and be a helpless victim of it, or that my will will terminate the event immediately, when ideally what I'd do is remain calm and stay in the lucid state and start having nicer adventures.

So I think I am willing to risk the fear, despite how I seem to chicken out and behave the opposite when it seems about to happen. I think since I survived this as a little kid (without any therapy or support groups or knowing what was happening!) I should be able to handle it as big strong adult. Unless everything is ramped up accordingly.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 31 Jan 2015 13:59

Things I experienced that are NOT common:

The inability to open my eyes! Unlike most people, my eyes are glued shut and cannot open, which is one of the things I struggle to do to awaken/escape.

That isnt uncommon for people to experience. I often have to go about the start of a LD blind as I cant see.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 01 Feb 2015 02:00

Oh, that is interesting. I always hear, over and over, stuff like "I couldn't move a muscle but my eyes were open and I could see the room and thought I was awake." It wasn't that I was in darkness since I could either see some ambient light through my eyelids (if morning) or my visuals were remnants from the dream. I was lucid enough to know that I had to wake up, but still convinced that something else dangerous was happening to me. The dreamstate left me helpless, and being able to escape that was the way out. It wasn't so much a process of reason, but instinct and panic.

I wonder, is there any data on the status of a sleeper's eyes during SP? Are they actually open? Or does the dreamer - still technically asleep - only THINK his eyes are open and is dreaming their surroundings? If so, that would obviously explain the differences to the environment from reality.

degausser44

Postby degausser44 » 01 Feb 2015 02:22

i've had many sleep paralysis experiences. i never had one till i was about 21, not until i moved out on my own. here are some experiences

- a man sitting beside my bed with a hand on me
- sometimes if my blanket is bunched up it appears as a hand
- a hand on my back pushing me, i was able to move my arm and squeeze it and could actually hear and feel the hand cracking
- had one where blastazoid from pokemon was walking towards me, very strange cause i haven't watched pokemon since i was like 10
- i have had dreams where i was having sleep paralysis in the dream

the only real upside i've ever had with SP is one night i was laying on my side and felt SP starting to happen. i felt a hand on my back pushing me. i was able to grab it and somehow gain enough movement to fight it off and jump up. after this i was in a lucid dream. i woke up and went back into 2 more LD this same way that night all in a row

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 01 Feb 2015 17:11

One of my last SP experiences was "a hand on me" dream. It wasn't scary at all, and was very short. Somehow without the terror and long duration, it is a completely different experience, seemingly not worthy of the same name.

I was still living at home, so a teen. I had plans to go somewhere with my father early the next morning. I knew he would come to wake me but I set my alarm anyway.

After a night of sleep I woke up once or twice. At one point I was on my side, facing my alarm clock with my back to the door. I didn't see the clock (or did I?) but wondered if it would be time to wake up soon.

Then I "sensed" that the door slowly opened behind me. It was such a subtle sensation, like the sound of the room changed to include those of the ventilation in the rest of the house. Hard to describe, but this is probably a very mild version and related to the wooshing or buzzing sounds of SP (when it is scary).

So I naturally imagined my father (as "the PRESENCE"?) standing behind me in the open door and I expected to hear him say it is time to get up. A few seconds of anticipation passed in silence so I decided to tell him I was awake, but when I went to say it nothing came out. At that moment I realized I was "stuck" where I was, and then, I felt his hand slowly pressing down on my left shoulder, or that was how I interpreted a spreading heaviness where that was the locus of pressure. Once that began (still thinking it was dad) I put a little more effort into it and this time I moved and woke up saying "okay, I'm up."

Nobody else was there. And the funny thing was it was a minute or two before my alarm was going to go off. My only instance of an SP/lucid dream functioning as an internal and accurate alarm clock.

deric23

Postby deric23 » 01 Feb 2015 18:01

I've had sleep paralysis many times over the years. It's often accompanied by uncomfortable and scary vibrations. From what I know about astral projection they say to stay with it as it is a prelude to going out of body.
I always chickened out but the last time it happened I became conscious -in an afternoon nap- of the vibrations but this time they were totally delicious-like lying on a sun baked beach in the sand and feeling the sun warm you. I remember thinking "Hey if they feel this good it can't be a bad thing." So I just let it happen. I felt my (astral) body rise up to a vertical position but still attached at the head. I tried hard to completely separate by picturing being in the kitchen but the vibes subsided and I just layed there in wonder back in a normal state.

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 02 Feb 2015 04:32

I wonder why when we are more in control and it is less scary and we WANT it to progress or at least continue, that that is when it more often slips away or ends.

I can understand how fear and lack of control can create a feedback loop that intensifies the experience, but what about it makes it harder to escape and wake up from? Is it lack of experience? It seems that once you are aware of your paralysis, the way you regard it - with fear or not - would seem like it would only affect how scary it was. But the process that causes our paralysis is a chemical one, no? and not something voluntarily under one's control?

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 02 Feb 2015 09:51

astrovineyard wrote:One of my last SP experiences was "a hand on me" dream. It wasn't scary at all, and was very short. Somehow without the terror and long duration, it is a completely different experience, seemingly not worthy of the same name.

I was still living at home, so a teen. I had plans to go somewhere with my father early the next morning. I knew he would come to wake me but I set my alarm anyway.

After a night of sleep I woke up once or twice. At one point I was on my side, facing my alarm clock with my back to the door. I didn't see the clock (or did I?) but wondered if it would be time to wake up soon.

Then I "sensed" that the door slowly opened behind me. It was such a subtle sensation, like the sound of the room changed to include those of the ventilation in the rest of the house. Hard to describe, but this is probably a very mild version and related to the wooshing or buzzing sounds of SP (when it is scary).

So I naturally imagined my father (as "the PRESENCE"?) standing behind me in the open door and I expected to hear him say it is time to get up. A few seconds of anticipation passed in silence so I decided to tell him I was awake, but when I went to say it nothing came out. At that moment I realized I was "stuck" where I was, and then, I felt his hand slowly pressing down on my left shoulder, or that was how I interpreted a spreading heaviness where that was the locus of pressure. Once that began (still thinking it was dad) I put a little more effort into it and this time I moved and woke up saying "okay, I'm up."

Nobody else was there. And the funny thing was it was a minute or two before my alarm was going to go off. My only instance of an SP/lucid dream functioning as an internal and accurate alarm clock.

This is not SP, but hypnagogia. I can give my own example. Last night I was extremely tired, so tired I could not keep my eyes open and had to fight hard to stay conscious. I could not go to sleep because my cat was outdoors in the snowstorm. I had both my hands stuck inside my pants as it was getting cold from having the door open a crack for Mr. Kitty. I felt an itch on by belly and scratched it with my right hand, at this point I realized that that my real right hand was still on my belly getting warm and got a second win of wakefulness. It's sort of weird going into HI without knowing one is in it as I normally do.

If I were an Occultist I would just say I used my astral hand to scratch myself :lol:
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”