My Only Case of Sleep Paralysis..or so I think.

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
dream_walker

My Only Case of Sleep Paralysis..or so I think.

Postby dream_walker » 02 May 2011 16:04

One night several moons ago I awoke at around 3:39 a.m. from an episode I'm hoping was sleep paralysis. My eyes fluttered open but I couldn't move; like something was holding me down. I was lying on my back which I hear is more common during these occurrences. I began trying to scream for help but couldn't open my mouth. I heard these noises in my ear, but it wasn't the typical humming sound. It was just a bunch of voices whispering. I cried out for God to save me about 3 times. Then just kept trying to shout help. There was a presence of another in the room :idea: (besides my brother whom I was sharing the room with at the time). I kept fighting to break through my paralysis & silent chaos unsuccessfully until my brother yelled for me to wake up. He said he could tell I was trying to scream. He only made out one word. "Help."

I hear 3 a.m. is the normal time for REM sleep & is when your body temperature at its coldest. Ialso hear it is Dead Time. My. grandfather is a Pentacostal pastor & claims to have seen many demons. I'm a strong believer in that. I've seen people flip out speaking in unknown languages while he was praying for them. Not tongues, something evil...I don't need anymore proof. Would just like some second opinions. Because I would like to explore further into lucid dreaming but am kind of hesitant after this particular incident. Because in order to go WILD is to make it through sleep paralysis right?

Wolvendeer

Re: My Only Case of Sleep Paralysis..or so I think.

Postby Wolvendeer » 02 May 2011 19:50

That sounds like a pretty standard case of SP to me. I personally have had hallucinations of other beings in the room, and there is usually a feeling of terror that accompanies it. It is nothing to worry about, and you can use it to escape into a lucid dream or AP experience (if you believe in such). One thing I try in the limited amount of SP I have experienced is rolling out of the bed. That can lead to rolling out of the body and into one of the above mentioned experiences.

Ryan Hurd

Postby Ryan Hurd » 11 Jun 2011 15:16

hey dream_walker,

I'm with wolvendeer (hi wolvendeer! been a while),
this sounds like a classic sleep paralysis with auditory hallucinations.

given your religious background and belief system about the reality of demons, sleep paralysis may present a challenge. we open to influences that we are primed for. I would recommend using the time to do prayers of love and acceptance when you cross this threshold again. fearfully asking for God's help, as I've seen in dozens of other cases, does not seem effective. stay closer to your beliefs in love and you may be given some opportunities for new and remarkable lucid dreams. you can also call on helpers, such as guardian angels, when you are in this realm.
Consciousness researcher, author of Sleep Paralysis, and lucid dreaming educator. Find me at DreamStudies.org

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Jun 2011 23:06

its a horrid sensation and after years I had an incident that scared me a while back. Laughed afterwards but you cant escape the thoughts that accompany SP if you have not had an incident for a while. Sounds normal and not sure if God can help you but call on your beliefs if that helps. Its scary but really just one more state or feeling associated with the LD and other states. Best is just to not fight and wait for it to pass as it will

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 03 Feb 2015 01:37

Wow, that IS SP. You only had it once? I had it several times before the age of 10.

Cool that your brother was there to "rescue" you. I would try to scream for help for my mom to run in and wake me up, but it never worked. At best my voice sounded to pathetically tiny and distant. I assumed no sound came out at all since you are paralyzed and can't voluntarily draw breath to speak.

How much longer do you think it would have continued if he didn't wake you up? Did it seem like you were making progress in your struggle to move or break free, or was it getting more intense and deeper a situation?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2015 04:06

Because in order to go WILD is to make it through sleep paralysis right?

Old post but I will reply to it as I'm sick of hearing this misconception (it would have to be the most common misconception around LD). It isn't at all necessary to have SP to go into a WILD, lots of people don't. If you think you are going to have SP, you are far more likely to do so.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 01 Apr 2015 20:16

It isn't a misconception because it is different for everybody. SOME people might ONLY be able to access LD through SP. - especially if they cannot induce LD alone but know they have the SP experience as a potential doorway. And since it can be easier to accidentally stumble in to SP than LD directly, it makes sense that this is the pathway chosen so often.

In MY case it seems I can't experience EITHER without having to enlist in supplements and enduring insomnia. Someone telling me "you don't NEED to take supplements or get insomnia to LD. That is a misconception" "Really?" I'd respond: "Then tell me how to have it without taking supplements or experiencing insomnia as a side-effect."

Return to “Sleep Disorders”