RCFS - Reality Check Failure Syndrome

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
bob23bk

RCFS - Reality Check Failure Syndrome

Postby bob23bk » 05 Feb 2015 08:54

Hello everyone, I've worked on LD for a few years off and on.. More recently, my dream recall has been improving greatly but I had an odd thing happen to me the other day- I performed reality checks in my dream and they checked out, so I continued to dream without becoming lucid. I could not believe when I woke up that I had performed multiple RC and they all failed to alert me, as they have worked for me previously. The RC that failed me were pushing fingers through palm, looking at hands in detail, and looking in the mirror.

I shrugged it off, thinking of all the times I've read that sometimes RC don't work and it's not necessarily an indicator that my RC are not thorough enough, or that I should change methods... Fast forward a few days, I have another (non-lucid) dream where I end up in this house with music playing out of speakers mounted on the ceiling. Realizing the impossible quality of this music (I'm an audiophile and have worked with several types of studio monitors, they don't make speakers THAT good) made me question my reality, but a woman approached me and I didn't have time to RC at that moment. I had never met her, but she pulled out her laptop and proceeded to turn it on, open it up, and start typing away at whatever it was. My eyes were glued to her notification bar, she had several notifications pop up from a forum. I read them (as a RC) but the text didn't change! Her computer appeared to work perfectly fine. These things led me to believe that I was awake, and thus I missed my chance AGAIN. The weird thing is, later in the dream I found myself pushing a truck down an icy street instead of driving it, I was walking along pushing it and steering the wheels with my mind, but it never dawned on me :lol:

Basically, RC have confused me. In my dreams my hands are normal, electronics appear to work (I must investigate this further), text does not morph, mirrors do not seem odd. Often circumstances that would seem peculiar to others are overlooked because my waking life is riddled with impossible 'coincidences' on a regular basis, coupled with my apparent lack of ability to track time (I often notice time distortion when I am not sleeping). Lately, I find myself coming very close to achieving lucidity quite often, but when my RC fails (to fail :roll:) I simply accept the dream.

I've added in breathing with closed mouth/nose, as well as jumping to my RC list, has anyone else come up with others that people with several non working RC might try? Do any of you also find that text in your dreams does not morph, that technology works, that mirrors appear normal, hands look normal, etc?

taniaaust1

Re: RCFS - Reality Check Failure Syndrome

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Feb 2015 10:03

If all those checks are not working for you, its probably not the checks themselves but the way you are doing them. The thoughts held in your mind while doing them.

When one reality checks one has to hold strongly in mind that this may be a dream and expect to see things not being normal. If you are not holding that expectation there strongly enough, you may find yourself seeing a completely normal thing.

Fast forward a few days, I have another (non-lucid) dream where I end up in this house with music playing out of speakers mounted on the ceiling. Realizing the impossible quality of this music (I'm an audiophile and have worked with several types of studio monitors, they don't make speakers THAT good) made me question my reality,

Often when we start questioning reality out of the blue as something weird has happened.. at least 80% of the time its going to be a dream. You carried on this acting as if this was not a dream.

You were choosing to "believe" that woman was real (a part of you was doing so) and hence treated her so, your dream then just conformed to that belief you were holding, which is what dreams do.. if you think something, your dream usually conforms to it. (If you hadnt been believing it, you would not have been treating her normally). Can you see how this reality checking by watching a person you were treating as real, set this up to fail to show it was a LD? That was a bad reality check for you to be doing.

Realizing the impossible quality of this music (I'm an audiophile and have worked with several types of studio monitors, they don't make speakers THAT good) made me question my reality

By not being prepared to accept as a dream something you knew was impossible.. its like programming yourself to ignore other impossible things too which can happen in dreams (so like setting yourself up for more failures in future to notice things which could of triggered a LD). If something impossible is happening, you should be thinking "this is a dream" and start acting some of that, the dream should then soon show itself to be so to you.

anyway, I think the current issue you have is to do with your mindset (thinking).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

bob23bk

Postby bob23bk » 06 Feb 2015 13:48

taniaaust1 wrote:When one reality checks one has to hold strongly in mind that this may be a dream and expect to see things not being normal.

I believe this is the problem with certain RC and why I must resort to less conventional RC ie- I check the time on the clock. It says 5:18, I look away with the full expectation that it will change, and when I look back it says 5:19. This is easily explainable, so if the text is clear I dismiss it.

taniaaust1 wrote:Can you see how this reality checking by watching a person you were treating as real, set this up to fail to show it was a LD?

The person only briefly delayed the RC, which was reading the text on her computer. So many times I've seen distorted text in dreams and faulty electronics, it was enough to convince me to accept that 'reality' as it seemed to serve as 2 RC in one (the text, and the laptop itself) without taking the person into account

taniaaust1 wrote:anyway, I think the current issue you have is to do with your mindset (thinking).

Ultimately I am afraid of the repercussions of my actions if I'm not dreaming, so I always seek confirmation via multiple RC before being able to accept the current state as a dream. Dreams are entrancing and seem more real than real life, are you truly convinced that you are reading this forum in 'waking life'?

I find myself getting strange looks as I perform reality checks in front of family members. When one truly expects they are in a dream, they quickly lose their regard for others' opinions. I can assure you I perform RC with the proper mindset :lol:

In a cruel twist of fate, certain RC that fail me in 'waking life' (like the digital clock) do not fail me in dreams! (Text is not distorted, does not change when looking multiple times)

taniaaust1 wrote:If something impossible is happening, you should be thinking "this is a dream" and start acting some of that, the dream should then soon show itself to be so to you.

Last night I remember 3 dreams, in one of the dreams me and others witnessed a UFO. While many would become lucid, I've witnessed UFO's in 'waking life' (honestly) so I require further convincing. The incident was odd enough for me to perform reality checks, but in the end I

taniaaust1 wrote:you may find yourself seeing a completely normal thing.

Thanks for the reply

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Feb 2015 13:46

bob23bk wrote: I check the time on the clock. It says 5:18, I look away with the full expectation that it will change, and when I look back it says 5:19.

If that works for you, you should stick with that, that's a common reality check which does work for many.

Ultimately I am afraid of the repercussions of my actions if I'm not dreaming, so I always seek confirmation via multiple RC before being able to accept the current state as a dream. Dreams are entrancing and seem more real than real life, are you truly convinced that you are reading this forum in 'waking life'?

Needing multiple confirmation and not trusting your own reality checks after they show you, you are dreaming.. will end up leading to them failuring as it's sending the message to the subconsciousness "maybe this isnt showing Im dreaming after all" (in which case the reality check may conform to your thought and make a normal result appear.

I hear time and time again of people doing that and have the check fail.

So I always say to people if you do a reality check and it shows you are dreaming, trust it! If it was something you still couldnt be sure with when it gave an unusual result, you shouldnt have choosen to do that check to start with.

Choose checks that their weirdness can immediately definately show.. this is a dream. eg pinching ones nose, if one can breath throu a pinched nose it is obvious its a dream.

I find myself getting strange looks as I perform reality checks in front of family members. When one truly expects they are in a dream, they quickly lose their regard for others' opinions.

One can do reality checks which arent noticable to others..eg even when talking to another one could quietly try to push a finger throu a hand. or look at a clock a couple of times to see if the time when weirdly change. Noone would think it was weird someone looking at a clock a couple of times.

(You shouldnt need to do many repeat tests, 2-3 reality checks at the time should be enough, if they arent, you need to change your reality checks to ones you will feel more sure over when they come out weird or change a mind set to trust your own judgement and trust your reality check if i shows weirdness so you dont keep repeating it which will lead it's fail).

taniaaust1 wrote:If something impossible is happening, you should be thinking "this is a dream" and start acting some of that, the dream should then soon show itself to be so to you.

Last night I remember 3 dreams, in one of the dreams me and others witnessed a UFO. While many would become lucid, I've witnessed UFO's in 'waking life' (honestly) so I require further convincing.

If you have seen UFOs in real life, that then doesnt make it something impossible to happen. By impossible, I mean impossible eg being able to breath underwater, being able to push finger throu a hand, being able to move an object with thought alone, being able to turn on lights by thinking about it, being able to knock the person in the room you are with down, by just thought.

The incident was odd enough for me to perform reality checks,

nods.. always best to do for anything a bit strange.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”